News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Zbrush Dinosaurs and 3D Prints

Started by Gorgonzola, March 11, 2013, 02:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gorgonzola

He's a combination of a few different references, so he's not based on any particular mount.  I'm pretty certain Stan is amongst the mix, along with AMNH 5027, but besides that there were a few other separate references I used for skull proportions and all that.  So he's not any one particular fellow.

I uploaded the last 1/72 Cryolophosaurus last night, the sitting pose.  I don't expect any more problems to arise from them, but if they do I'd appreciate a note if you bought it and got an error, just so I can let whoever know when I correct any issues.  But we should be good from here on out!
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gorgonzola on August 01, 2013, 01:50:22 PM
He's a combination of a few different references, so he's not based on any particular mount.  I'm pretty certain Stan is amongst the mix, along with AMNH 5027, but besides that there were a few other separate references I used for skull proportions and all that.  So he's not any one particular fellow.

I uploaded the last 1/72 Cryolophosaurus last night, the sitting pose.  I don't expect any more problems to arise from them, but if they do I'd appreciate a note if you bought it and got an error, just so I can let whoever know when I correct any issues.  But we should be good from here on out!

Ah okay cool.

It would be cool to have a series of replicas like T-Rex in this instance, based off the different specimens. Would great teaching tools and good for artists who want to compare. :)

Gorgonzola

Oh man, yeah, that'd be a great idea. I can't imagine such a thing doesn't exist.  I think Scott Hartman has some comparison drawings, but I'm not aware of any 3D assets that exist.

Detail shots of the final T. rex in a neutral pose.  This was probably the fastest turnaround, ever, on a dinosaur for me, and it's quite honestly the best looking to my eyes.  And he has lips!

Simon

Well, other than the "lips" it looks great.  But I am not interested in any theropod with "lips", whose 6" teeth implausibly disappear (despite its upper jaw being WIDER than its lower jaw!) when it closes its mouth.  A pity. 

Maybe you can do two different versions. 

jtn144

Keep that skin detail coming! I would love to see a bunch of poses for this, especially the prone pose similar to the aborted cryo model.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gorgonzola on August 02, 2013, 02:58:32 AM
Oh man, yeah, that'd be a great idea. I can't imagine such a thing doesn't exist.  I think Scott Hartman has some comparison drawings, but I'm not aware of any 3D assets that exist.

Detail shots of the final T. rex in a neutral pose.  This was probably the fastest turnaround, ever, on a dinosaur for me, and it's quite honestly the best looking to my eyes.  And he has lips!

To my knowledge it doesn't . There are the odd piece here and there that are based off one or the other, but some are busts, some mini figures..none by the same artist who actually sought out the material for comparisons.  Scott did do skeletals for several Rexes..but yeah nothing three dimensional as of yet. I would buy all those right now if there were for my 1:1 T-Rex project.

Lips or no lips doesn't much matter to me..though I think even with lips of some sort Rex's massive upper jaw teeth would still hang over the lower jaw just a bit.  I do think the area behind the eye socket should be filled out and not sunken in though.

dutchdinolover

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Gorgonzola on July 31, 2013, 09:35:31 PM
Quick update:  All but the sitting pose is now available for 1/72 Cryolophosaurus is now available.  I'll likely fix the sitting pose and then get that one up as well tonight.

In the meantime, been too long without art, so here's a bit of a tease of what I've been working on in the workshop I've been taking.  It's been incredibly helpful so far, and I can't wait to use all these skills on more dinosaurs, especially Amargasaurus, which is next on my pipeline.

I might see if this fellow can be printed too, I really like how well it's come along.

Nice Rex.
But I can't wait till you start work on that Amarga! I was really hoping you would do a spiky sauropod, can't wait!  :)

tyrantqueen

Wow, your Tyrannnosaurus is stunning :o Theropods are definitely your strongest skill.

If you're wanting critique, I do have two little nitpicks.

I think you should smooth over the ridge that appears in the lower jaw, which I outlined here

It looks a bit odd to my eyes, and making it a bit less prominent would help to avoid the shrink-wrapped look.

Also, I think the thighs are bit overly bulky. Maybe it's just the angle, but they look a little swollen in comparison to the body.

Just my thoughts, make of them what you will :)

I really hope you're going to make this guy into a print, he is awesome looking.

tyrantqueen

Oh, and one more thing. The gum on the lower jaw is troubling me a bit. I think the gum line is a little too high (or maybe the lip is too low)

Shouldn't the lip go over the gums a little bit?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 02, 2013, 11:42:42 AM
Oh, and one more thing. The gum on the lower jaw is troubling me a bit. I think the gum line is a little too high (or maybe the lip is too low)

Shouldn't the lip go over the gums a little bit?

Depends on what he's going for I guess. Could dinosaurs " snarl " ? Krentz's Rex for Sideshow I believe shows quite a bit of gum..kind of like the lips on a canine.

Gorgonzola

Nah, TQ's right - when I was making the teeth mesh with the mouth better I built up the gums a bit more than I wanted.  I actually just adjusted that so the lip edge covers it a bit more...Blade, you probably know what it's like to stare at a sculpt for long enough that your brain kinda glosses over little stuff like that.  I also toned down that edge on the back of the jaw too - originally did it because I wanted more definition, but on second look it doesn't need to be as aggressive.

The topology needs to be fixed up now so I can actually pose it, but now it's time to brainstorm some ideas for that...

wings

The preorbital/lacrimal horns is unlikely to be more pronounce than the back orbital horns. See below:

and http://www.bhigr.com/store/product.php?productid=48

"...The rugose posterior orbital horn is larger than the reduced preorbital one,..." (Paul 1988)

Also the postorbital (infratemporal fenestra) opening looks a little short proportion wise. See below:

and http://www.bhigr.com/store/product.php?productid=47#detailed

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gorgonzola on August 02, 2013, 05:03:45 PM
Nah, TQ's right - when I was making the teeth mesh with the mouth better I built up the gums a bit more than I wanted.  I actually just adjusted that so the lip edge covers it a bit more...Blade, you probably know what it's like to stare at a sculpt for long enough that your brain kinda glosses over little stuff like that.  I also toned down that edge on the back of the jaw too - originally did it because I wanted more definition, but on second look it doesn't need to be as aggressive.

The topology needs to be fixed up now so I can actually pose it, but now it's time to brainstorm some ideas for that...

Oh yeah..I know how that feels all too well.  It's one reason this 1:1 Rex head is still sitting here in foam over looking my shoulder.  I keep looking at it and references trying to make sure I haven't missed anything.

What sizes are you thinking for it ?  I'd love to have 1:40 but would that work with one this size ?

I would like a nice sitting down tyrannosaur..one leaning forward with it's mouth open so small pterosaurs could clean them would be excellent..but then you'd have to make some small pterosaurs.. ;)  One posed in Scott's skeletal position a kind of stalking..or just standing like that with feet planted firmly would be awesome..since that's how I hope to do our 1:1 Rex..would be great to have a model in the same pose for references.

Gorgonzola

I'm definitely doing a 1:40 scale...currently figuring out some logistics for it, but I think it's going to turn out very well.

Wings, I adjusted both the things you pointed out, thank you for that!  Haven't had a chance to capture more screengrabs of it yet though.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gorgonzola on August 03, 2013, 08:29:35 PM
I'm definitely doing a 1:40 scale...currently figuring out some logistics for it, but I think it's going to turn out very well.

Wings, I adjusted both the things you pointed out, thank you for that!  Haven't had a chance to capture more screengrabs of it yet though.

Awesome. I will definitely have to have at least  one to keep in the workshop for references over the next few months. Any of those poses mentioned work for me, but some others would be good as well.

amargasaurus cazaui

Could we have a version of the T-rex posed standing over two or three dead Spinosaurus? *snickers*
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 04, 2013, 04:12:20 AM
Could we have a version of the T-rex posed standing over two or three dead Spinosaurus? *snickers*
Rofl :)

Bokisaurus

Nice T-Rex  ;D

Here is the second para, the playful one ;)
[]

SpartanSquat

Beaitfull colour and colours! These are printed with colour or painted by hand?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: