News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Zbrush Dinosaurs and 3D Prints

Started by Gorgonzola, March 11, 2013, 02:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

I like the rearing back roaring pose..it's really similar to what I'm hoping to o with Shane's 1:15 Rex eventually.

You can certainly get the avian feel from the closed mouth version.

I do like the pose Dan chose..the head on shot is great. My only nitpick is a common one for me..I wish it were in 1:20 at least.. ;)

Bokisaurus

Finally was able to order two 1:40 amarga, can't wait to get them :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bokisaurus on January 31, 2014, 03:05:52 AM
Finally was able to order two 1:40 amarga, can't wait to get them :)

Can't wait to see em' !

Bokisaurus

Two pose f the 1:40 amarga, beautiful models! However, the rearing one is having some balance issues, seems too heavy in the front.
Can't wait to paint these guys!

For comparison

Gorgonzola

Gorgeous photos as always, bokisaurus. Tyrantqueen also mentioned that the rearing pose has some balance issues, I suspect it's because the dinosaur itself can't rear up very far without some bones breaking (I actually wondered if Amargasaurus can actually rear up at all.)  Kinda figured it'd need to be secured in some way to a base or something for it to stay up.

Here's something I had been working on for awhile - started it waaaay back in October/November, but moving to a new house and holidays delayed it, and then I kept it around for a bit to tinker with cut and keys for models.  I think I might try getting a master print of this made so I can test out some resin casting myself, once it's posed of course.  Also want to try out some model interaction, like two poses that interact with each other.

tyrantqueen

I love it :)

The only thing I would criticise- and it's from an aesthetic standpoint- is the scaly feet. I don't think I've ever seen it done before on a ceratopsian, or at least to such a degree as you have done. It's not a bad thing, it's just different :) The rest of it is stunning, though :)

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

It really does look great, gorgonzola! A great companion to that awesome rex... ::)
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

Oh btw, something I forgot to ask...

QuoteI think I might try getting a master print of this made so I can test out some resin casting myself, once it's posed of course.  Also want to try out some model interaction, like two poses that interact with each other.

What's the scale? :)

wings

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 06, 2014, 07:01:17 PM
The only thing I would criticise- and it's from an aesthetic standpoint- is the scaly feet. I don't think I've ever seen it done before on a ceratopsian, or at least to such a degree as you have done. It's not a bad thing, it's just different :) The rest of it is stunning, though :)
The feet do remind me of these...

Gorgonzola

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 07, 2014, 12:23:23 AM

QuoteI think I might try getting a master print of this made so I can test out some resin casting myself, once it's posed of course.  Also want to try out some model interaction, like two poses that interact with each other.

Not sure quite yet - I'd like to do 1/72 and 1/40, obviously, but to test out some resin casting for myself I may try and go a bit bigger, if my budget for it allows it.  I need to see what some quotes would be for sending off the file for rapid prototyping. Nothing set in stone at the moment, I'm afraid.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I tend to add scales like that to the feet of my dinos..adds a little extra something I think. :)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: wings on February 07, 2014, 02:49:02 PM

*snip*
I don't own the book (yet...) but I always liked that artwork. For some reason, I always think ceratopsians look good in orange.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 07, 2014, 07:12:27 PM
Quote from: wings on February 07, 2014, 02:49:02 PM

*snip*
I don't own the book (yet...) but I always liked that artwork. For some reason, I always think ceratopsians look good in orange.
I think the two staple ceratopsian colors are (or used to be) orange as well as red...
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

s.foulkes

Quote from: Gorgonzola on February 07, 2014, 03:18:41 PM

Not sure quite yet - I'd like to do 1/72 and 1/40, obviously, but to test out some resin casting for myself I may try and go a bit bigger, if my budget for it allows it.  I need to see what some quotes would be for sending off the file for rapid prototyping. Nothing set in stone at the moment, I'm afraid.

I would like to suggest going with having the image printed out large pay for that image then have mold made of it. you can sell resin castings up to 125 or so before the mold wears out. 1/20th or 1/15th would be great. wonder how much to print out one model in that scale would be? you could take preorders for them and that would help pay for the one print out image so you can make the mold.?
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

tyrantqueen

Put me down for a pre-order of 1/20 scale ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: s.foulkes on February 08, 2014, 08:31:47 PM
Quote from: Gorgonzola on February 07, 2014, 03:18:41 PM

I would like to suggest going with having the image printed out large pay for that image then have mold made of it. you can sell resin castings up to 125 or so before the mold wears out. 1/20th or 1/15th would be great. wonder how much to print out one model in that scale would be? you could take preorders for them and that would help pay for the one print out image so you can make the mold.?

^ The man's talking sense.. ;)

Gorgonzola

It's definitely something that's wormed its way into my head...looks like I'm gonna try out getting a master print for casting for this fellow.

1/15 would peg him at 12 inches in the neutral pose, 1/20 would be 9 inches on the dot.  I've started to flesh out some pose ideas to see what would be a nice model to have at that size...I've also for the time being narrowed down the possible printers to Moddler or Ownage. Moddler is the service that David Krentz uses for his 1/40 line of dinosaurs and I quite like the results they put out. I've seen some examples of the stuff Ownage puts out as well, and it's pretty dynamite - some of the smoothest printing I've seen yet, you can't tell they were printed out. Once I figure out what direction I'm going with this I'll have to get some quotes.

Quite a fan of this one

Another idea, but I think I might be using this one for a smaller scale.

Galileo's recent model set of 1/72 Tyrannosaurs is making me curious to know how much hassle it would be to sell some resin sets of dinosaurs as well, at smaller scale. I really like the idea of having dioramas of dinosaurs as herds or packs, so any sort of foray into that always appeals to me.  I'm thinking after this and the giraffatitan I'd like to revisit a hadrosaur or two, or maybe go back to some therapods...

Mighty King

pascosaur

quite a fan too
your work is SUPERBE
can't wait to see the final stuff

congratulations

Blade-of-the-Moon

If you get a quote for a pre-order of the 1:15 I might be interested. :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: