News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd. "pterosaur"

Started by ruel, March 18, 2013, 01:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruel

Takama

Its an un-named Species from Africa, and it is based on a painting by Todd Marshall

tanystropheus

The Safari Ltd. model is based on the fossil findings of paleontologist, Paul Serono. The relatively new species of pterosaur is simply known as 'The African Pterosaur'.

http://www.projectexploration.org/news_121803.htm

An illustration of the 'African Pterosaur' by Todd Marshall:

http://planetdinosaur.com/images/PDImages/PaleoArt/ToddMarshallPterosaur.jpg

However, it is possible that the 'African Pterosaur' is, in essence, a geographical variant of the Anhanguera.

ruel

Thank you both, friends!  I try to keep my figures arranged by time period/stage, and not knowing what this was made it tough to classify.  The Project Exploration article gives a fossil date of 110Ma, which should place it in the Cretaceous Albian.

I hope this generic pterosaur gets a name soon.  8)

tanystropheus

Glad to know that you found the websites to be informative. There's also a less than one second reference to the 'African Pterosaur' in the TED presentation, "Paul Sereno digs up dinosaurs".

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.