You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Stoneage Collection - Weird Scenes inside the Goldmine

Started by stoneage, March 23, 2012, 01:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metallisuchus

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting Mac myself. Does anybody know what modern animals Mac is most closely related to? I'm seeing Tapir, at least in terms of it's face.

Nonetheless, great-looking piece. I'd actually like see what other brands could do with a Mac of their own.

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Metallisuchus on May 11, 2012, 03:59:42 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking about getting Mac myself. Does anybody know what modern animals Mac is most closely related to? I'm seeing Tapir, at least in terms of it's face.

Nonetheless, great-looking piece. I'd actually like see what other brands could do with a Mac of their own.

The Mac is definitely one of their best mammals! :)  It's not really closely related to anything living though, it part of a group of unique South American mammals that all died.  Closest living relatives would probably primitive ungulates, like a tapir. :))

stoneage

Metallisuchus

Yeah, I see a bit of Llama there too, in the body.

stoneage

stoneage

postsaurischian

stoneage

SBell

Quote from: Zopteryx on May 11, 2012, 05:15:48 AM

The Mac is definitely one of their best mammals! :)  It's not really closely related to anything living though, it part of a group of unique South American mammals that all died.  Closest living relatives would probably primitive ungulates, like a tapir. :))

Tapirs are no more primitive than rhinos or horses--they all showed up about the same time.

Macrauchenia is a Litoptern.  Their overall group--meridungulates--diverged very early on, isolated in South America. So in terms of closest living relatives, that would be cetungulata--the whales + hoofed mammals. But it's very distant. And some people have determined that they may not be--it's tough since they're all extinct.

And if you want one, you need to hurry--Schleich discontinued it in 2010, and it is pretty sought after (I don't think it's gotten too expensive).  Or, there is a very nice small one in Safari's prehistoric life toob.

Metallisuchus

Quote from: SBell on May 14, 2012, 02:56:22 AM

Tapirs are no more primitive than rhinos or horses--they all showed up about the same time.

Macrauchenia is a Litoptern.  Their overall group--meridungulates--diverged very early on, isolated in South America. So in terms of closest living relatives, that would be cetungulata--the whales + hoofed mammals. But it's very distant. And some people have determined that they may not be--it's tough since they're all extinct.

And if you want one, you need to hurry--Schleich discontinued it in 2010, and it is pretty sought after (I don't think it's gotten too expensive).  Or, there is a very nice small one in Safari's prehistoric life toob.

I thought that, but wasn't sure (tapirs, rhinos, horses, etc.). Thanks for the info. The relation of whales to land animals blows my mind because they're so different nowadays. I really should study post-Mesozoic paleontology more. I always neglected it because there's still so much I don't know about the Mesozoic itself.

I haven't gotten into the Safari Toobs yet, but hopefully there will be a full-sized Safari Mac. A "Big Mac", if you will  :D

SBell

Quote from: Metallisuchus on May 14, 2012, 03:46:36 AM
Quote from: SBell on May 14, 2012, 02:56:22 AM

I thought that, but wasn't sure (tapirs, rhinos, horses, etc.). Thanks for the info. The relation of whales to land animals blows my mind because they're so different nowadays. I really should study post-Mesozoic paleontology more. I always neglected it because there's still so much I don't know about the Mesozoic itself.

I haven't gotten into the Safari Toobs yet, but hopefully there will be a full-sized Safari Mac. A "Big Mac", if you will  :D

Whale phylogeny has made some huge strides in the last 10 years--as have many things of course. It's impossible to keep up with everything to an equal degree, try as some of us might.

I doubt Safari will have a Macrauchenia--it is the only one in the toob that wasn't done as a large figure (possibly because the toob one is a dead mini ringer for the Schleich one) and they never released more mammals than the first wave--almost all of which are now discontinued.

But we continue to hope that Safari will grace us with more some day.  The Inostrancevia is a nice taste of what they can do with synapsids.

stoneage

Metallisuchus

SBell - I must agree, that Inostrancevia is amazing, and it's a less-obvious choice. I don't think I've heard of it before seeing the figure.

DinoFan45

"Life will find a way."

SBell

Quote from: Metallisuchus on May 15, 2012, 12:40:15 AM
SBell - I must agree, that Inostrancevia is amazing, and it's a less-obvious choice. I don't think I've heard of it before seeing the figure.

Well, it's actually the gorgonopsid from Walking with Monsters, they just never named it.

Quote from: DinoFan45 on May 15, 2012, 12:53:52 AM
Quote from: stoneage on May 14, 2012, 11:43:54 PM

Oh noes! Will the machruchenia see the danger in time?

I hope so--the main danger that it's being faced down by a European bear that mostly ate plants! ;D

stoneage

DinoFan45

The mammals look great, need to add on to mine.

Quote from: Metallisuchus on May 15, 2012, 12:40:15 AM

If you haven't gotten it yet, it is spectacular! Better than the image has it made out to be.
"Life will find a way."

Metallisuchus

Oh it's on my list. If I would've seen it last weekend when I was buying, I would've picked it up for sure. I'll probably have to break down and buy online again.

stoneage

Explorer

Quote from: stoneage on April 16, 2012, 05:38:34 PM
The vastly improved 2008 Schleich Spinosaurus!

Hi guys, does anyone recommend the 2008 schleich spinosaurus? It's a tripod but can't resist as I see it often in my local store.  Or am I better off ordering the papo version online? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Many thanks

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: