You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Stoneage Collection - Weird Scenes inside the Goldmine

Started by stoneage, March 23, 2012, 01:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Cool to see you back and still collecting, stoneage :).
Love the Mastodonsaurus and Kaprosuchus pictures.

Quote from: Libraraptor on May 04, 2014, 09:43:45 AM
Just recently I saw a stunning documentation about the coelacanth. It´s being called "Gombessa". I consider buying the great Safari coelacanth.

I saw it too :). Amazing filming!!!
They said 'Gombessa' was the Japanese name for the Coelacanth.

stoneage

stoneage

Wild Safari Tree Fern, Agathis Conifer, and Cycad.

stoneage

stoneage

stoneage

stoneage

Wild Safari Suchomimus is a big inprovement over the old one.

stoneage

Wild Safari Elasmosaurus

stoneage

stoneage

DinoToyForum

stoneage

Quote from: dinotoyforum on June 05, 2014, 12:10:29 PM
That background works very well.

Thanks, the background came with the new Favorite Dinosaurs.  I wish toy makers would make prehistoric backdrops for different times.  Preferably much bigger then this one.  Below is the Fauna Cast Daeodon.

SBell

Quote from: stoneage on June 05, 2014, 11:54:23 PM

Thanks, the background came with the new Favorite Dinosaurs.  I wish toy makers would make prehistoric backdrops for different times.  Preferably much bigger then this one.  Below is the Fauna Cast Daeodon.

Yours is much lighter than mine!

As for backgrounds--some of the Schleich boxed figures come with decent backgrounds of different environments, as do even some ChapMei ones. I try to keep a few of them around in case I need backgrounds.

stoneage

Quote from: SBell on June 06, 2014, 12:54:59 AM

As for backgrounds--some of the Schleich boxed figures come with decent backgrounds of different environments, as do even some ChapMei ones. I try to keep a few of them around in case I need backgrounds.

I don't think I've ever seen them.  None of my Schleich figures came with a box, and I never bought a ChapMei figure before.

SBell

Quote from: stoneage on June 06, 2014, 11:15:24 PM
Quote from: SBell on June 06, 2014, 12:54:59 AM

I don't think I've ever seen them.  None of my Schleich figures came with a box, and I never bought a ChapMei figure before.

Sorry, I should have said--the boxes that come with the larger, generally fantasy or history figures. Like the massive war elephant and battle rhino.

stoneage

Do you have picture of any backgrounds, or does anyone else have pictures?  I would like to see them.

stoneage

Marx Hunting Party Brontosaurus

The Flintstones are the second most successful animated TV show of all time.  Only the Simpsons have done better.  In 1961 Marx started producing the Flintstone play sets using Marx Dinosaurs from their Prehistoric Times Playsets.  Around 1962 they made the Flintstone Hunting Party Play Set. (#2669 & 2670)  In it were three original large dinosaurs:  Brontosaurus, Stegosaurus and Tyrannosaurus.  These figures came in different colors: gray, light green, bright orange, pink  and purple.  The figures were sold individually in toy bins at five and dime stores.  All of the figures are hollow styrene plastic fused together.  I don't know how I missed these when I was a kid or why they were discontinued so quickly.

stoneage

Quote from: stoneage on August 15, 2016, 06:52:35 PM
                                                           Marx Hunting Party Brontosaurus

The Flintstones are the second most successful animated TV show of all time.  Only the Simpsons have done better.  In 1961 Marx started producing the Flintstone play sets using Marx Dinosaurs from their Prehistoric Times Playsets.  Around 1962 they made the Flintstone Hunting Party Play Set. (#2669 & 2670)  In it were three original large dinosaurs:  Brontosaurus, Stegosaurus and Tyrannosaurus.  These figures came in different colors: gray, light green, bright orange, pink  and purple.  The figures were sold individually in toy bins at five and dime stores.  All of the figures are hollow styrene plastic fused together.  I don't know how I missed these when I was a kid or why they were discontinued so quickly.

The Hunting Party figures usually sell for $150 or more.  Recently a purple Brontosaurus sold for $305 on E-bay.  I must say, that after seeing the Brontosaurus in person, I have fallen in love with it.  There are so many interesting details.  Here we have the Brontosaurus that lived in the swamps to support its weight.  As one would expect it has quite a large abdomen.  It measures 17 1/4 inches from the tip of its nose to the end of its tail.  The figure says it is 67 feet long on its tail which makes it about 1/44 scale.  The head is about the same size as the smaller original Marx Brontosaurus figure even though the Hunting Party figure is much larger.  The top of the head is also covered in scales.  Each forelimb has a single large thumb claw and four toes, while the longer hind legs each have three clawed toes.  Another interesting feature is the dewlap hanging at the bottom of the neck.  In addition to skin folds there are also large osteoderms on the back.

All in all, I find this to be a great retro figure, probably the most accurate of its time.  I can imagine vegetation hanging from its mouth as it wallows in a dark swamp, much like Rudolph Zallingers mural except with a cool twist of the neck.  Ah, Life in the time of Brontosaurus.  I don't know who sculpted this figure but I do know that the Stegosaurus was based on a sculpture by Charles Whitney Gilmore a noted paleontologist.  I've also heard that Invicta used it for their Stegosaurus sculpt.  I can only imagine that someone with similar knowledge sculpted this one.

Halichoeres

Wow, nice find. It does have a good deal of charm.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

I'm not usually a big fan of retro-style dinos, but that Flintsones' one is very cool!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: