News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What Would You Make For A Dinosaur Documentary?

Started by Balaur, July 18, 2013, 05:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaur

The game is simple. If you created a dinosaur documentary, and had as much money as possible, what would you create?
I think I would create a series a bit like Life or Planet Earth, with multiple stories, but the episode revolving around a time period (in chronological order)
Info about it is under this sentance:

Title: Mesozoic
Episode 1 - Early Triassic
Episode 2 - Middle Triassic
Episode 3 - Late Triassic
Episode 4 - Early Jurassic
Episode 5 - Middle Jurassic
Episode 6 - Late Jurassic
Episode 7 - Early Cretaceous
Episode 8 - Mid Cretaceous (I know, there actually isn't a mid Cretaceous stage)
Episode 9 - Late Cretaceous

What would YOU make?!

Everything_Dinosaur

We discussed this first thing this morning, I think it would be good to "top and tail" the documentary series, an introductory programme that sets the scene for what the series would cover and has a focus on the Late Permian and the mass extinction event that would provide a back drop to the evolution and radiation of the Dinosauria et al.  The final programme would explore how the effects of the Cretaceous mass extinction shaped the fauna and flora of the Cenozoic and touches on extinctions happening today, just to round off the series, if money was not a problem.  Not sure what the series would be titled.

Balaur

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on July 18, 2013, 06:29:32 AM
We discussed this first thing this morning, I think it would be good to "top and tail" the documentary series, an introductory programme that sets the scene for what the series would cover and has a focus on the Late Permian and the mass extinction event that would provide a back drop to the evolution and radiation of the Dinosauria et al.  The final programme would explore how the effects of the Cretaceous mass extinction shaped the fauna and flora of the Cenozoic and touches on extinctions happening today, just to round off the series, if money was not a problem.  Not sure what the series would be titled.

I like it!

Gwangi

A lot of shows seem to focus on the dinosaurs that lived in a specific time and place. I would like to see a series that instead examines the different dinosaur groups with an emphasis on their evolution, behavior, distribution etc.. For being dead for so long we seen to have a pretty good grasp on the different evolutionary paths of the different groups. I find it all very interesting and would love to see a program specifically about sauropods, ceratopsians, theropods and so on that looks at how they changed from their roots in the Triassic up until their extinction.

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: Balaur on July 18, 2013, 08:31:21 PM
Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on July 18, 2013, 06:29:32 AM

I like it!
Me too!
-Zhuchengotyrant

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Brocc21

Alright imagine a series that only has one main topic per episode, i.e evolution of flight. It has a narrator (let's say me because I'd love to do this) who explains the plot. With nice CGI and puppet animation. The show starts off in a location relative to the plot. Like a forest or museum. And then you go to places and learn as it progresses. Boom.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Ravonium

I'd personally make a long WWD-style saga, but focused solely on the Yixian Formation. covering the topics of life on different surfaces (ground, trees, water, air) and the life and evolution of different groups of animals (mammals, proto-birds, dinosaurs, other reptiles etc.), in the context of various events (drought, mating season, winter etc. and as a finale, a limnic eruption).

HD-man

I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Shonisaurus

I would sincerely make specific documentaries about a dinosaur or a species of dinosaurs for example one dedicated to the sauropods, another to the prosauropod, another to the armored dinosaurs (ceraptosides, nodosaurians, ankylosaurids, thyrophoros), another to the theropods, small bird-like dinosaurs , another documentary dedicated to animals that were contemporaries of the dinosaurs, another one to the theropods, being based on rigorous scientific investigations with the intervention of scientists of reputed world fame that would explain how those dinosaurs evolved.

Finally, the causes of the disappearance of dinosaurs based on scientific arguments would be explained in a documentary.

In my case, the documentary would see dinosaur bones rather than recreations of them as they are known by the scientific remains found.

GojiraGuy1954

I have a few ideas

1. The Tyrannosaurus Saga
This documentary would examine 5 famous Tyrannosaurus Rex specimens; Jane, Stan, Trix, Sue, and Scotty. It would be similar to "The Ballad of Big Al," where it would tell the life and death of each of these individuals.

2. The Hell Creek Collection
This would be a series of documentaries, each based on a different group in Hell Creek.
1a Ceratopsidae
a. Leptoceratops
b. Tatankaceratops
c. Torosaurus
d. Triceratops

2a Hadrosauridae
a. Edmontosaurus
b. Thescelosaurus

3a Ornithomimidae
a. Orcomimus
b. Struthiomimus
c. Ornithomimus

4a Caenagnathidae
a. Anzu
b. Leptorhynchos

5a Dromaeosauridae
a. Acheroraptor
b. Dakotaraptor

6a Pachycephalosauridae
a. Pachycephalosaurus
b. Sphaerotholus
c. Stygimoloch

7a Tyrannosauridae
a. Tyrannosaurus

3. Life On Earth
From the first organism to the modern day, Life On Earth aims to be the most ambitious life documentary ever.

Season 1:
Episode 1- The First Organisms
Episode 2- The Cambrian Explosion
Episode 3- Vertebrates
Episode 4- Pioneer Plants
Episode 5- Monsters Of The Ordovician Deep
Episode 6- The Ordovician Extinction Event
Episode 7- The Silurian
Episode 8- Vertebrates On Equal Footing
Episode 9- Arthropods On Land
Episode 10- The War Of The Fishes
Episode 11- Dunkleosteus*
Episode 12- Ray-finned fishes
Episode 13- Lobe-finned fishes
Episode 14- The first amphibians
Episode 15- The Devonian Extinction
Episode 16- The Carboniferous
Episode 17- Monster bugs
Episode 18- Amphibians get bigger
Episode 19- The first reptiles
Episode 20- Extinction of the giant insects
Episode 21- Mammal-like reptiles
Episode 22- Sail-backed terrors
Episode 23- A Siberian killer
Episode 24- The Permian Extinction
Episode 25- The Only Survivors

Season 2:
Episode 1- A New Cast
Episode 2- The Forerunner
Episode 3- The First Dinosaurs
Episode 4- The Arid Deserts
Episode 5- The Triassic Extinction
Episode 6- The Small Beginnings
Episode 7- Dinosaurs Get Bigger
Episode 8- The Largest Land Animal
Episode 9- Fishing Dinosaurs
Episode 10- Cruel Seas
Episode 11- The First Bird
Episode 12- The Cretaceous
Episode 13- Dinosaurs Diversify
Episode 14- Volcanic Activity
Episode 15- A lost paradise
Episode 16- Madagascar
Episode 17- The first mammals
Episode 18- The largest theropod
Episode 19- Hell Creek
Episode 20- The Beast With A Killer Bite
Episode 21- Dinosaur Extinction

Season 3:
Episode 1- Aftershock
Episode 2- New Dawn
Episode 3- A World where Birds Eat Horses
Episode 4- Recovery
Episode 5- From Land To Water
Episode 6- Primitive Whales
Episode 7- The Largest Land Mammal Ever
Episode 8- Hell Pigs
Episode 9- Intelligence Arises
Episode 10- Toolmaking
Episode 11- South America
Episode 12- Sabre Tooths
Episode 13- When Sloths Were Undefeatable
Episode 14- The Species Destined To Kill
Episode 15- The Ice Age
Episode 16- The End Of The Megafauna
Episode 17- Humanity
Episode 18- The African Serengeti
Episode 19- City Ecosystems
Episode 20- The Anthropocene Extinction Event?

P.S. This is a long one, please notify me if I missed anything important :)

*Due to the new discovery that placoderms and lobe-finned fishes were one in the same, the Placoderms episode has been replaced with an episode of Dunkleosteus.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Loon

Has their ever been a good documentary about Mesozoic mammals? We could call it "Walking Under Dinosaurs". ;)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Loon on February 09, 2020, 06:44:58 PM
Has their ever been a good documentary about Mesozoic mammals? We could call it "Walking Under Dinosaurs". ;)

Episode 1: Brown Rain
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.