News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

brandem's sculpture {recent art 2019}

Started by brandem, September 08, 2013, 09:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

Quote from: SBell on April 20, 2014, 03:33:18 AM
Very nice base. Is there a post with all of your offerings and prices in this thread somewhere? If not, Setting that up as the first post would be handy. Including bases' prices.

And what is the green thing in the Poposaur base?
I think it's supposed to be a dead lungfish.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

brandem

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on April 20, 2014, 02:35:27 AM
Brandem's bases are really cool. I like what he has done with the one made for me. Maybe have a series of bases, hint, hint.
Thanks, now I'd always be happy to make more bases from specific places and times in specific scales, though I would need a lot of input on what specific scales eras and locations people would like, and of coarse I could always do requests one at a time,
Very nice base. Is there a post with all of your offerings and prices in this thread somewhere? If not, Setting that up as the first post would be handy. Including bases' prices.

not yet there were a couple more figures I wanted to finish before I officially "opened for business." After i'll likely open an etsy or ebay store and start a thread under classifieds, I'd like one under toy lines but that seems kinda presumptuous.

And that is supposed to be a lung fish dug up from it's burrow, that particular one's paint is base on a lung fish I remember seeing in walking with dinosaurs,   

Edit: yes yutyrannus is right on

SBell

Quote from: brandem on April 20, 2014, 03:50:46 AM
Quote from: Paleogene Pals on April 20, 2014, 02:35:27 AM
Brandem's bases are really cool. I like what he has done with the one made for me. Maybe have a series of bases, hint, hint.
Thanks, now I'd always be happy to make more bases from specific places and times in specific scales, though I would need a lot of input on what specific scales eras and locations people would like, and of coarse I could always do requests one at a time,

not yet there were a couple more figures I wanted to finish before I officially "opened for business." After i'll likely open an etsy or ebay store and start a thread under classifieds, I'd like one under toy lines but that seems kinda presumptuous.

And that is supposed to be a lung fish dug up from it's burrow, that particular one's paint is base on a lung fish I remember seeing in walking with dinosaurs,

Excellent--good to know. I think I know the WwD episode, they were being eaten by Coelophysis. And I'm sure that someone could come up with age-appropriate small creatures for the bases with a little research!

dinocat

Just got Brandem's complete set. Very pleased with them. He was easy to work with and I highly recommend the sculptures!

SBell

Looking back again, are these meant as 'toys' or as 'models'? Because if they're toys, there's no reason they couldn't be in the toy lines section (although the selling should be done through classifieds).

Zhuchengotyrant

I think it's toys, because they are with plastic. Then again, I really don't know about this king of stuff, but I thought "What the heck", and so with that being said....*Goes on ranting on for another hour*
-Zhuchengotyrant

brandem

Thank you dinocat, great transaction on my end too,
Quote from: SBell on April 24, 2014, 01:32:54 AM
Looking back again, are these meant as 'toys' or as 'models'? Because if they're toys, there's no reason they couldn't be in the toy lines section (although the selling should be done through classifieds).
Urg, see I love the term "figure" because while they look good on a base they are also meant to be picked up and fooled around with, so yes closer to a toy than a model, but the term toy comes with alot of legal strings,

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on April 24, 2014, 01:42:29 AM
I think it's toys, because they are with plastic. Then again, I really don't know about this king of stuff, but I thought "What the heck", and so with that being said....*Goes on ranting on for another hour*
Well a lot of models come in "plastic" resin too

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: brandem on April 24, 2014, 01:51:11 AM

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on April 24, 2014, 01:42:29 AM
Well a lot of models come in "plastic" resin too
I never knew that, I guess yiou learn something new everytday
-Zhuchengotyrant

brandem

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on April 25, 2014, 12:00:25 AM
I never knew that, I guess yiou learn something new everytday

Yep mine are urethane plastic, even the vinyl ones are plastic of a kind, lots of fun chemistry there

SpittersForEver

Yutyrannus

Quote from: brandem on September 23, 2013, 10:51:57 PM

I think the spermaceti organ is way too deep on this model, that's why the head looks like it's ridiculously short.

brandem

Yutyrannus

I just mean it is too large from the top to the bottom. See this picture for what it should look like:

brandem

Ehhhhh yeah I can see where you are coming from but here's the reason why I made him so melon headed:

That's a nice diagram but its a little off, the entire forward section of the sperm whales head is not all the spermaceti organ, it is the spermaceti organ and the melon, now the sperm whale tends to split the organs pretty evenly but I also base my model somewhat on the pygmy sperm whale who has a large forward melon but a very recessed spermaceti organ, so splitting the difference my leviathan has a large forward melon, more the mass ratio of the pygmy sperm whale but with a spermaceti organ larger than the dwarf but smaller than the standard swelling out the top where the largest mass of the sperm whales spermaceti organ is located, creating a shape that looks more like the end of the sperm whales head moved back rather than orcas' Bullitt shaped head, maybe ill draw a diagram sometime but I plan on taking another pass at him as I move him into 1:100.

Yutyrannus

I know, I mainly meant the overall shape of the head should look like that.

brandem

hey all I thought I would have an update on what I've been working on recently.  I'm really happy with what I've been able to do so far and wanted to be able to pour what ive learned into something more high end.  So we have here today sinsaurus triassicus in 12 pieces, scale is 1/20 at about 11 inches long and each scale is sculpted independantly, what do you think? keep in mind the pieces are held together by soft clay because they need to be cast separately and the blocking between the teeth is also for the casting process it would be cut out while the resin is still soft.

I'm thinking right now the base price could be 70, 90 for a set ready to assemble and paint and 120 assembled and painted. Is that fair?
In a while I may post the images to classifieds to see if anyone would like to preorder, just one advance payment would let my buy the chemicals I need to make the molds.

Paleogene Pals

EmperorDinobot

WOW. Nice sculpts! I wouldn't mind owning some of these!

brandem

Thanks, if you're ever interested don't be afraid to drop me a note.

brandem

gosh I fell off the front page, no one to blame but myself but here are some photos for recently done pieces
paleogene pals' sinosaurus in all his dilophosaurish glory

criocephalosaurus

reibeeckasaurus and eoarctops

and a fairly blurry wip anteosaurus

all these creatures are in 1:20 and of course I still have the molds so if any pique your intrest let me know

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: