News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

After the Dinosaurs: Beasts of the Cenozoic

Started by Yutyrannus, September 08, 2013, 09:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

I finished the Hoplophoneus drawing, so I need inspiration for what colors and patterns (I want it to look partly like a cat and partly like a hyena). As well as this, I have news on the creature list: Basilosaurus has been replaced by Ambulocetus and the Ambulocetus in my series will be colored like a giant otter :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Yutyrannus

Also, in the special (Sabretooth) I may change the Smilodon episode to be about Homotherium instead. And are there any suggestions for the color for my Hoplophoneus? I decided I just want it to just look like a cat rather than a Cat/Hyena cross.

Balaur

Now, I am being 1000% serious when I say this. How about a colouration similar to my cat.

Kind of a light brown on top, with a slightly dark brown from the top of his head down along his back. And a very slight creamy white fur on the stomach.  ;D

Yutyrannus

Yutyrannus

I finished the Ambulocetus drawing and will color it soon, I am also in progress on the Homotherium for the special: Sabretooth (I drew it from an Asiatic Lion). Expect Ambulocetus and Hoplophoneus up within the next few days :).

Also, my Ambulocetus is not furry like the one in Balaur's "Age of Mammals" series, but it is sleek with short fur like seals and otters. It also as cheeks to a certain degree, a feature that is almost never (if at all) shown on this species. He is not shrink-wrappped but is still very sleek and hydrodynamic. As I said before its colors will be based on the Amazon Giant River Otter.

Balaur

Well, one of the interesting things about Ambulocetus is that it's ear structure allowed it to hear underwater, but it was deaf when out of the water. I think that they had no ear holes or external ears. And because of that, they have the most interesting mammalian ears of all time.

Also, my Ambulocetus has fur like that found in sea otters. At least I tried.

Yutyrannus

Actually I already drew a sort of vestigial ears on him. And he is colored now, he turned out very well. I will probably post him tomorrow :). Also, I can't wait to see yours, it sounds awesome!

Balaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on October 11, 2013, 03:54:32 AM
Actually I already drew a sort of vestigial ears on him. And he is colored now, he turned out very well. I will probably post him tomorrow :). Also, I can't wait to see yours, it sounds awesome!

I thank that it's unlikely that he had vestigial ears, but I think it's interesting speculation. Can't wait for him!

Yutyrannus

Thanks ;D! Also, you can hardly see the ears anyway. But I won't be able to post my Homotherium for a while as I need to get new pencils (you can still see all the lines that I tried to erase >:().

Yutyrannus

Here he is, stage 2 in the evolution of whales:

Ambulocetus

Balaur

Nice Ambulocetus! Mine is way more fuzzy, and actually looks cute.

Yutyrannus

I know, I cannot wait to see yours ;D! Yeah, I tried to make him more of a sleek, hydrodynamic animal.

Yutyrannus

I have added Uintatherium and Rodhocetus to the series.

Yutyrannus

Here is my first non-felid sabretooth for my series :):

Hoplophoneus

Colors based on Balaur's cat :)).

Yutyrannus

I am currently working on a sketch of Arctotherium. Also, I finished Homotherium and Panthera atrox, are there any suggestions for colors/patterns for these two (I want less more dull colors for them so I only want a basic pattern for Homotherium and no pattern at all for Panthera atrox)?

Yutyrannus

I finished the Arctotherium. And are there any suggestions for colors for Homotherium and Panthera atrox?

Balaur

My cat is happy! ;D

Maybe do a little snow leopard pattern and colour on the Homotherium. Maybe add some very faint slightly darker brown spots and stripes on the light brown body of the Panthera atrox. Hope that made sense.

Also, when you say Panthera atrox, are you talking about the American Lion?

Yutyrannus

Thanks, I'll do that :)! And yes, P. atrox is the American Lion.

Yutyrannus

Here is the largest cat that ever lived :):

Panthera atrox (Naegele's Jaguar)

Colors a combination of Balaur's suggestion and a picture of a liger (kind of symbolic of the change in view of this creature from a lion to a tiger). I think this and my Before the Dinosaurs Inostrancevia are my best drawings.

Balaur

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: