You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Bob Bakker talks about dinosaur toys

Started by Gwangi, September 13, 2013, 05:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

I was watching this episode of PaleoWorld from 1997 titled "Secrets Of the Brontosaurus" and at the 2:18 mark Bob Bakker shows up with a bunch of toy sauropods. He goes through them, pointing out inaccuracies but at the 2:50 mark he gets to the Invicta Apatosaurus and does something truely heart breaking to it. I'll let y'all see it for yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZygZaqhxwZI

Go ahead and watch the entire episode for a nice bit of nostalgia and cameos from other dinosaur toys like the Invicta and DoC Mamenchisaurus and even the Battat Diplodocus!

tyrantqueen

Hahaha, that Invicta Apatosaurus scene made me giggle :)

Takama

THE HORROR THE HORROR :'(

I thought Brontosaurus was long gone from documentary's at that time in the 90s

Seijun

Lets hope he doesn't visit any museum gift shops today... He will be wishing that they were still selling invictas!

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Seijun on September 13, 2013, 06:43:38 PM
Lets hope he doesn't visit any museum gift shops today... He will be wishing that they were still selling invictas!

Seconded!  :))

Crackington

Gwangi

Quote from: Crackington on September 13, 2013, 08:01:11 PM
More  dinosaur heresy! :))

lol, nice one!

Takama, the name Brontosaurus will never go away. Entire generations will keep calling it that, generations that lived decades after the name changes. People really like the name Brontosaurus (I do myself). Beside, Bakker really likes to use it. To this day AFAIK.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on September 14, 2013, 01:10:50 AM

lol, nice one!

Takama, the name Brontosaurus will never go away. Entire generations will keep calling it that, generations that lived decades after the name changes. People really like the name Brontosaurus (I do myself). Beside, Bakker really likes to use it. To this day AFAIK.
I'm going to slip the name "Brontosaurus" in sometimes just to troll paleonerds ;D >:D

...Didn't he argue in one of his books that Brontosaurus is a valid term to use?

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 14, 2013, 02:49:54 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on September 14, 2013, 01:10:50 AM

lol, nice one!

I'm going to slip the name "Brontosaurus" in sometimes just to troll paleonerds ;D >:D

...Didn't he argue in one of his books that Brontosaurus is a valid term to use?

Yeah, I think he did in that in "Dinosaur Heresies". I seem to remember him using "brontosaurs" as a term for all the sauropods rather than just calling them sauropods.

HD-man

Quote from: Gwangi on September 14, 2013, 01:10:50 AMTakama, the name Brontosaurus will never go away. Entire generations will keep calling it that, generations that lived decades after the name changes. People really like the name Brontosaurus (I do myself). Beside, Bakker really likes to use it. To this day AFAIK.

That reminds me of the following quote (which is from this blog post: http://blog.hmns.org/2013/09/bakker-diplodocus/ ).

QuoteThere's a lot of confusion about these two genera, Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus. Most dino-scholars put the Bronto species into the genus Apatosaurus. Your Curator, Dr. B., and Matt Mossbrucker, the Director of the Morrison Museum in Morrison, Colorado, are studying new specimens of giant whip-tails from the Jurassic; we're giving a paper at the big Geological Society of America conference in late October. Our conclusions: The species Brontosaurus excelsus and Apatosaurus ajax were related but turn out to be far more distinct than we had thought. It has not escaped our notice that these new specimens might force us to re-appraise the status of Brontosaurus.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

CityRaptor

A new paper about the validity of Brontosaurus. Oh that should be interesting.

As for the video: while that was kinda sad, it also was hilarious.

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.