You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinotasia aka Dinosaur Revolution ?

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 25, 2012, 06:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaur

The scene in Dinotasia where the dinosaur comes to life in the museum and scares everybody and kills the other dinosaur, first, the dinosaur was Acrocanthosaurus, and it killed a Tenontosaurus. Second, the clip is from Monsters Resurrected, another Dinosaur documentary made by Creative Differences, who also made Dinosaur Revolution/Dinotasia.

scallenger

So, I know more people have seen this now. What are all of your takes on it?
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Balaur

I loved it! It was absolutely fantastic! I shall review each vignette one by one :) :
The Great Dying - 9/10
That was a good opening, and I actually giggled when I first saw the setting text appearing on the screen. I'm actually glad they cut the part where the gorgonopsid got vaporized, as it was unrealistic, and horrible.

Rivals - 9/10
This was by far one of my favourites, but I'm a little upset they cut off so much! Atleast it was in it's entirty (expect when that Miragaia was stepped on) in the extras! I watched the extended cut, and I was blown out of my mind with no narration. It was so serial. (is that how you spell it?)

The Sounds of Survival - 8/10
This was good not the have the narrator ruin everything just to identify a creature. But even though it's my favourite story of all the series, it wasn't as good to me in Dinotasia as the others, specifically the allosaur story.

Screw one by one, The Empty Nest, Forbidden Fruit and The Herd Instict where incredible.

I'm a bit confused with the T.rex story though.

In the opening fight, Dino Rev said it was 10 years to impact. Dinotasia it said 13 years to impact.

Dinotasia also said that when the babies got eaten it was 11 years to impact. Then it goes on, Dino Rev, 10 years, Dinotasia, 9 years. Which one is correct?

Still, it was very good, and most of the time, I didn't think I was watching Dinosaur Revolution or Dinotasia. I thought I was watching Reign of the Dinosaurs.

tyrantqueen

I think I will still be getting Dinosaur Revolution on NTSC DVD instead of Dinotasia. I don't like the idea of parts being cut (there is already very little material as it is) and I would rather watch full segments instead of dvd extras.

Btw, I have a few questions about Dinosaur Revolution that I was hoping someone could answer (and I know David Krentz has an account on here, cough cough)

1. In "Endgame", why does Tinkerbelle hold the Rex egg in her mouth? I thought she was cannibalising it at first...
2. In "Survival Tactics", there were two rival clans of Utahraptor. It shows that although they're the same species, they have radically different fuzz colouration. Is such variation even possible among members of the same species?
3. When the Cryolophusaurus' crest is ripped off in "Evolution's Winners", in real life, would it grow back? Was it just keratin, or did the bone itself get completely ripped off?
4. In "The Watering Hole" the mother Allosaurus tears off Ichabod's head. Could an Allosaurus rip off another animal's head with only one bite?

Joel

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 16, 2012, 10:06:54 PM
1. In "Endgame", why does Tinkerbelle hold the Rex egg in her mouth? I thought she was cannibalising it at first...
I think she was trying to help it hatch, in a similar way that crocs do.
Quote3. When the Cryololophusaurus' crest is ripped off in "Evolution's Winners", in real life, would it grow back? Was it just keratin, or did the bone itself get completely ripped off?
I think the crest is bone, and if so, it could not grow back. I do not believe these dinos (or any dinosaur for that matter) would have any reservations about biting off anothers crest, as crocodiles bite rivals limbs, tails, and jaws off all the time.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Joel on September 17, 2012, 12:22:04 AM
Quote3. When the Cryololophusaurus' crest is ripped off in "Evolution's Winners", in real life, would it grow back? Was it just keratin, or did the bone itself get completely ripped off?
I think the crest is bone, and if so, it could not grow back. I do not believe these dinos (or any dinosaur for that matter) would have any reservations about biting off anothers crest, as crocodiles bite rivals limbs, tails, and jaws off all the time.
Thanks for answering  :)
I guess that Crylo will be single for the rest of his life :-[

Joel

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 17, 2012, 01:16:12 AM
I guess that Crylo will be single for the rest of his life :-[
Nah, just until head crests go out of style  ;)

Gwangi

Quote from: Joel on September 17, 2012, 12:22:04 AM

They may not have reservations about it but I doubt any dinosaur would target the display structure in particular. I can't think of any extant animals that do that.

Himmapaan

Quote from: Gwangi on September 18, 2012, 01:06:42 AMThey may not have reservations about it but I doubt any dinosaur would target the display structure in particular. I can't think of any extant animals that do that.

Or do so in such an overt 'trophy-claiming' display of machismo either. Especially as the victor then contemptuously threw the bitten-off crests back at the loser. Even with the series' original intention of being more like an animated comic, this part put me off far more than mother Allosaurus biting off the Ornitholestes' head ever did. The scene felt as though it belonged in some dreadful high school drama. But with dinosaurs. :-\ And I say this as a great supporter of the show!

scallenger

For those still interested, Dinotasia has now been released in the U.S. on:

BluRay- http://www.amazon.com/Dinotasia-Blu-Ray-Werner-Herzog/dp/B008LW254S

and DVD- http://www.amazon.com/Dinotasia-Werner-Herzog/dp/B008LW25GQ

Both at what are, what I believe, ridiculous prices. It costs even more than it was for me to get the Region 2 DVD from the UK than it does to get just the DVD now! But if you notice, you will see from other sellers new copies being sold for much less on Amazon. I will eventually get this myself, but since I already have that UK DVD and have seen it I am not in a huge rush, especially since it is getting into holiday season and more important releases now to buy for myself and others.

There are, however, several reviews of the BluRay already online if you Google for it. While their comments on the film vary, there is unanimous agreement that the picture and audio quality are pretty good, which makes me hope it will be better than the UK DVD (which looked fairly muddy to me).  But only one review in-particular really details it completely:

http://digitalchumps.com/movie-reviews/53-blu-ray/9824-dinotasia.html

From the above review you get details about the disc menus, a picture of the back and front cover, and details all the bonus features, which are indeed the exact same ones from the UK DVD. However, this review does answer something I had been wondering about, and that's if both "Rivals-Extended Cut" (Allosaur segment) and "Mating Rights" would be in HD or not. Well, luckily, they ARE, according to this review! So that's awesome. It may be safe to assume then that the audio is in 5.1 for these as well (like the main feature is), but it doesn't say if that is the case or not. Guess I'll find out for myself when I get it eventually! So that is some good news. Still disappointed that we didn't get any more of the "deleted" scenes, however. There was certainly enough room on the disc for them. Oh well. :(

I still would like a U.S. release of Dinosaur Revolution, too.

Also, in a related note, although we didn't get any kind of isolated score for this release, some company of sorts on YouTube released 2 different versions of the main theme!

MAIN THEME:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-QANerzghk

EXTENDED MAIN THEME:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBKOxMi47-Q

I LOVE the Extended Main Theme! I really hope they release more from this score! It was good!

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's  bit high, considering what all it doesn't come with.  But I'll get it as well..not sure what format yet though. I also see it's cheaper if bought " used " already.

Iguanocolossus

Thanks for the reviews guys. Looks like I'll be sticking with the original series. Yeah, the documentary treatment was pretty bad (Tom Holtz told me it was due to executive meddling), but I like to see the full stories and skits. It's definitely the best dinosaur film I've seen in years

scallenger

I still have yet to get the Blu-Ray of this yet, but I thought I would point out one last review of it. This one comes from the ultra-awesome site Blu-Ray.com

I'll warn you that it is quite negative, and I still think that people look at this show the wrong way (it isn't really meant to be educational, it's meant to tell stories!). Doesn't really tell us anything new we don't already know about this release, except that even though the audio is in 5.1 surround sound, it is NOT lossless audio, which is, quite frankly, disappointing for someone like me. It also comes with a paper insert in the case, probably just a standard "chapter" paper. But still, a lot of Blu-Rays don't come with those anymore. Anyway, here it is.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dinotasia-Blu-ray/51047/#Review

Eventually when I get this Bluray I will probably have my final word about it. And Krentz, if you are still reading, any word on if the televised version of Dinosaur Revolution will be released Stateside anytime soon? Several people, including me, still would like this version, too.

Jetoar

I am waiting that this blue ray arrive to Spain  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just picked me up a Blu Ray player last night at walmart so I can officially buy that version now. :)

scallenger

Someone was a Black Friday shopper! Haha. ;)

Balaur

Got Dinotasia for my birthday, on Blu-ray! It's absolutely amazing. The extended cut Rivals, is so serial! No narration! It's like one or two lines from Herzog, and then the music and dinosaurs tell the rest. I might toss my Dinosaur Revolution disc now!  ;D

krentz

WHere did that extended version of the DR Theme song come from????  During long month of sound mixing the original has burned a permanent channel in my brain, so its nice to hear something new!  Pretty cool.

D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: scallenger on November 23, 2012, 06:32:53 PM
Someone was a Black Friday shopper! Haha. ;)

Against my will I assure you..lol

Maybe they had someone extend it after the original production ?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on November 23, 2012, 06:43:58 PM
Got Dinotasia for my birthday, on Blu-ray! It's absolutely amazing. The extended cut Rivals, is so serial! No narration! It's like one or two lines from Herzog, and then the music and dinosaurs tell the rest. I might toss my Dinosaur Revolution disc now!  ;D
Where did you get Dinosaur Revolution?! I have been searching for it for the last year! I thought it wasn't even for sale!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: