You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinotasia aka Dinosaur Revolution ?

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 25, 2012, 06:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scallenger

Well I ordered directly from Amazon UK so I don't know how that happened. Where did you get yours? Can you send me a pic or upload a pic of the back cover? Luckily Amazon UK has given me a refund for it and are "looking into the matter". But I'm still not very happy at all right now, honestly. Here's hoping there will be no complications with Dinotasia's BluRay release.
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Joel

I ordered it from the same place. Here is the back:

Maybe you can make it out the text better here:

It says nothing about what region it is.
What does the back of yours look like?

scallenger

Actually yours does. See that icon near the bottom that looks like a "B" with a hexagon around it? That's the Region Coding. But that is bizzare that it could work on one Region A player and not another. Mine is a Sony player, and I even just updated it with the latest upgrade, too. Really bizarre, and irritating.

Joel

Quote from: scallenger on August 07, 2012, 05:17:46 PM
Actually yours does. See that icon near the bottom that looks like a "B" with a hexagon around it? That's the Region Coding. But that is bizzare that it could work on one Region A player and not another. Mine is a Sony player, and I even just updated it with the latest upgrade, too. Really bizarre, and irritating.
Hmm, very interesting. My Blu-ray player says it's region A, and it plays the disc just fine. I know this is not a fluke because I've watched it several times. Shall I take a risk and get the so called "region free" version of Planet Dinosaur?

Balaur

Quote from: Joel on August 07, 2012, 07:55:43 PM
Quote from: scallenger on August 07, 2012, 05:17:46 PM
Hmm, very interesting. My Blu-ray player says it's region A, and it plays the disc just fine. I know this is not a fluke because I've watched it several times. Shall I take a risk and get the so called "region free" version of Planet Dinosaur?
Yeah, I got the region free blu-ray Planet Dinosaur, and the first disc works flawlessly on my Blu-Ray player. However, the bonus disc doesn't work.

Balaur

Sorry for double posting, but my dvd arrived today, and it works, but its a bit choppy (doesn't bother me) some noises aren't being heard, (but thats kinda good, because some narration isn't playing, so its closer to the original permise of the show) and in the first episode, a clip that wasn't in the original broadcast was shown! Maybe there is more extra clips! Ya!

tyrantqueen

Why were only 4 episodes made? Did the show get cancelled? I liked the storytelling and colours of the dinosaurs, I think this show had a lot of potential.

I've been rewatched the episodes, and though I still am not a fan of the narration or the talking heads, I found myself savouring each episode and wishing that more were made. I am thinking of getting it on DVD but I don't think I could justify the paying for only 4 episodes.

Balaur

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 13, 2012, 11:24:25 PM
Why were only 4 episodes made? Did the show get cancelled? I liked the storytelling and colours of the dinosaurs, I think this show had a lot of potential.

I've been rewatched the episodes, and though I still am not a fan of the narration or the talking heads, I found myself savouring each episode and wishing that more were made. I am thinking of getting it on DVD but I don't think I could justify the paying for only 4 episodes.

Originally, there were six episodes planned, but Discovery got in the way and thus, two were cut. However, it is very good, but yeah, the narration is annoying, and so are the talking heads, because they weren't meant to be there,  but Discovery added the narration because "the audiences wouldn't get it" and the talking heads because it's "traditional in dinosaur documenatries." Even with that, a new version with the original premise is being made, and I'll get that when it comes out. Nit sure when it's out though. Either way, I'm watching episode 4 right now, by far my favourite out of the 4. T.rex is awesome, and the music is incredibly dark, so my type of story telling. :)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on August 14, 2012, 02:31:27 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 13, 2012, 11:24:25 PM

Originally, there were six episodes planned, but Discovery got in the way and thus, two were cut. However, it is very good, but yeah, the narration is annoying, and so are the talking heads, because they weren't meant to be there,  but Discovery added the narration because "the audiences wouldn't get it" and the talking heads because it's "traditional in dinosaur documenatries." Even with that, a new version with the original premise is being made, and I'll get that when it comes out. Nit sure when it's out though. Either way, I'm watching episode 4 right now, by far my favourite out of the 4. T.rex is awesome, and the music is incredibly dark, so my type of story telling. :)
I love that episode too. The baby Rexes playing with the pinecone was soo cute <3 Tinkerbelle and Stumpy are a cute couple, and Jack Palance is so cool looking XD

scallenger

Well, this is interesting...

The disc apparently really does seem to be Region Free... because the disc actually plays fine on my laptop's BluRay player... which can only play Region A. However, like everyone else, I too notice the strange image quality, almost as if the video is slightly slowed down or sped up or something. And that's when I realized... it probably didn't work on my Sony BluRay player not because of the Region coding... but the video codec. It's the same reason why some BluRays, like the March of the Dinosaurs, can't play the bonus features on a lot of U.S. players. It's because it is encoded in PAL format, or something like that. I forget the exact technicality, but apparently it is hit and miss with US BluRay players, and mine is apparently a miss. :( Oh well, at least for now I can watch it on my laptop (just like I can watch the bonus features on the March of the Dinosaurs BluRay)... although I'm still severely irritated and still hope there will be a U.S. release of this. But whatever encoding they used on this, I think it may actually BE the reason why it looks so choppy and not fluid like it does on the TV broadcasts. However, the detail in the image is pretty crisp often, so it's not all for nothing. And it's nice to not have any Discovery logos or whatnot obscuring the footage. But it's all hit and miss with this whole release. This version of the show deserves better.

I also don't understand how to access those bonus episodes from those other shows that were listed on the back cover. Must be some kind of error, or they forgot to put them on the disc, lol. Funny enough, weren't these random episodes from other shows the bonus features that were originally going to be on that Discovery Channel DVD that never got released in the US, too?

As for the comment on "added footage" in this BluRay version... I have only watched the first episode so far, and I tried to pay as close attention as I could to differences, and I honestly didn't spot any. Can you perhaps timecode the exact part you believe is new?

In other news... a bit random, but the UK Dinotasia DVD (I guess the UK is not getting it on BluRay like in the US) that will be released in a couple weeks there has a new cover and it looks... well kind of cool and cheesy all at once, haha! Take a look at the updated image on the preorder page. I am wondering if the US version will look like this, too, or retain the basic poster-image logo that it currently does?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dinotasia-DVD/dp/B007PF5UEE

And I REALLY hope any UK fan out there picks this DVD up to tell us all about this new version! :D

Balaur

Quote from: scallenger on August 14, 2012, 06:24:36 AM
Well, this is interesting...

The disc apparently really does seem to be Region Free... because the disc actually plays fine on my laptop's BluRay player... which can only play Region A. However, like everyone else, I too notice the strange image quality, almost as if the video is slightly slowed down or sped up or something. And that's when I realized... it probably didn't work on my Sony BluRay player not because of the Region coding... but the video codec. It's the same reason why some BluRays, like the March of the Dinosaurs, can't play the bonus features on a lot of U.S. players. It's because it is encoded in PAL format, or something like that. I forget the exact technicality, but apparently it is hit and miss with US BluRay players, and mine is apparently a miss. :( Oh well, at least for now I can watch it on my laptop (just like I can watch the bonus features on the March of the Dinosaurs BluRay)... although I'm still severely irritated and still hope there will be a U.S. release of this. But whatever encoding they used on this, I think it may actually BE the reason why it looks so choppy and not fluid like it does on the TV broadcasts. However, the detail in the image is pretty crisp often, so it's not all for nothing. And it's nice to not have any Discovery logos or whatnot obscuring the footage. But it's all hit and miss with this whole release. This version of the show deserves better.

I also don't understand how to access those bonus episodes from those other shows that were listed on the back cover. Must be some kind of error, or they forgot to put them on the disc, lol. Funny enough, weren't these random episodes from other shows the bonus features that were originally going to be on that Discovery Channel DVD that never got released in the US, too?

As for the comment on "added footage" in this BluRay version... I have only watched the first episode so far, and I tried to pay as close attention as I could to differences, and I honestly didn't spot any. Can you perhaps timecode the exact part you believe is new?

In other news... a bit random, but the UK Dinotasia DVD (I guess the UK is not getting it on BluRay like in the US) that will be released in a couple weeks there has a new cover and it looks... well kind of cool and cheesy all at once, haha! Take a look at the updated image on the preorder page. I am wondering if the US version will look like this, too, or retain the basic poster-image logo that it currently does?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dinotasia-DVD/dp/B007PF5UEE

And I REALLY hope any UK fan out there picks this DVD up to tell us all about this new version! :D

Try to spot the added footage somewhere around 13:19. Its brief.

scallenger

Ah ha, you are right! I compared it to the TV broadcast and there is indeed an extra moment in there. Very good eye! On the BluRay version at that moment there is an extra "echo" that he makes with additional reaction shots. Nothing earth-shattering but it is footage that was oddly edited out from the TV broadcast. Very interesting...

Balaur

Quote from: scallenger on August 15, 2012, 05:22:27 AM
Ah ha, you are right! I compared it to the TV broadcast and there is indeed an extra moment in there. Very good eye! On the BluRay version at that moment there is an extra "echo" that he makes with additional reaction shots. Nothing earth-shattering but it is footage that was oddly edited out from the TV broadcast. Very interesting...
Yeah. I soon as I saw that I'm like, "well that's new!" But why would they edit such a small clip out? Time? No, its only a few seconds. Hmmm... There is also some brief new stuff in episode 2 as well, with the sauropod actually swinging his tail at the baby allosaur, and the baby allosaur snapping at the tail as it moves.

scallenger

Wow, I'll have to check that out later too! I'm sure then all 4 episodes may have other little snippets like that not on the TV broadcast. Still not sure why either though, since there are literally just a few seconds. I'm wondering if we will have any other new shots in the Dinotasia version, even though we know entire sections from Dinosaur Revolution and existing ones will be cut in parts.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: scallenger on August 16, 2012, 08:31:59 AM
Wow, I'll have to check that out later too! I'm sure then all 4 episodes may have other little snippets like that not on the TV broadcast. Still not sure why either though, since there are literally just a few seconds. I'm wondering if we will have any other new shots in the Dinotasia version, even though we know entire sections from Dinosaur Revolution and existing ones will be cut in parts.
If they're cutting whole parts out I am considering just getting the US release instead. My DVD player is multi region so I have no problem with NTSC dvds :)

Jeremy K9

I just finished watching the last two episodes of Dinosaur Revolution today, and thoroughly enjoyed both. I have a region free Bluray player that the disc plays in without any problems, but it wouldn't play in my PS3. I can't seem to access the bonus features for some reason. I didn't see anywhere on the menu screen where I could access any bonus features. ???

I haven't watched my copy of March of the Dinosaurs yet, but I assume I'll get the same results as I did with DR.

It's a shame we have to jump through hoops, just to watch these great programs. It's almost as if these companies don't think anyone in the U.S. is interested in watching these programs on Bluray/DVD.  ???

Balaur

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 16, 2012, 10:31:09 PM
Quote from: scallenger on August 16, 2012, 08:31:59 AM
If they're cutting whole parts out I am considering just getting the US release instead. My DVD player is multi region so I have no problem with NTSC dvds :)

I think you should get Dinotasia when it's released. You won't have to listen to the moronic narration during the scenes, and also a lot of new footage unused in Dinosaur revolution is being shown here, and it will be so much cooler. :) I want them to show that pterosaur scene that they planned to put in but didn't have enough time for the discovery airing. (When I say pterosaur I'm not talking about missing parts of the Anhanguera story, although I hope they have that too)

scallenger

Besides the fact we will finally get to watch some of the best parts from Dinosaur Revolution in Dinotasia without narration over them, I seriously doubt we will see much "new" honestly, thanks to my calculations I did earlier in this thread. But still, I really do want to check it out, really bad.

Balaur

Quote from: scallenger on August 18, 2012, 04:16:38 AM
Besides the fact we will finally get to watch some of the best parts from Dinosaur Revolution in Dinotasia without narration over them, I seriously doubt we will see much "new" honestly, thanks to my calculations I did earlier in this thread. But still, I really do want to check it out, really bad.

I want that now! Come on November (and August, I need people to tell us what is in it!!! Awww!!!) I'm not that angry that I don't know. :P

scallenger

Oh I feel you're pain! Trust me! I've wanted to know since it was "barely" released in UK theaters back in May. I still can't believe no one here was able to see it, but I guess it really was that limited! But yeah I definitely hope one of you guys are able to get the UK DVD this month!

If no one here ends up getting it or no one anywhere else does I may actually get the UK DVD, lol! I can't wait! I actually have a Region Free DVD player (just not one for BluRays, and I really don't intend to get one).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: