News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re: Feathering proof

Started by Gwangi, October 04, 2013, 03:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 07, 2014, 07:41:39 PM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 07, 2014, 07:40:20 PM
Quote from: Trisdino on August 07, 2014, 07:32:27 PM
Here is a picture of velociraptor, it is rather speculative with the amount of feathers, but also rather accurate. Tell me, what exactly is wrong with it in your opinion? Why is it unrealistic?

Do we have proof that Mongolia was a jungle? Why is it eating a ginkgo pod? When did theropods get such extensive cheeks? Why is its thumb so short compared to the other finger? Why doesn't the head have the distinctive velociraptor notch? There's no sickle claw!
That's because it is not a Velociraptor and that is very obvious >:(! Seriously....

Maybe if it wasn't so generic looking... And was so fat/feathered that you can't see the shape of the head.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Trisdino on August 07, 2014, 07:43:09 PM
Can I at least just try? I suppose the best way would be to simply make him realize how silly this whole thing is, so here it goes. This here is an Alvarezsaurid, more specifically, a hapennasaurid, by the name of Stulturiomimus:

As you can see, it is quite similar to birds in many ways, but also has a few things that sets it apart. For one, it has large teeth in its jaws, also has a very distinctive overall body shape. It is from the mid cretaceous. Would you really claim that this animal should not be portrayed with feathers? Its ancestors had feathers, its cousins had feathers, so why should Stulturiomimus not have feathers?
Alright, go ahead :-\.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 07, 2014, 07:44:49 PM
Here is a picture of velociraptor, it is rather speculative with the amount of feathers, but also rather accurate. Tell me, what exactly is wrong with it in your opinion? Why is it unrealistic?

Do we have proof that Mongolia was a jungle? Why is it eating a ginkgo pod? When did theropods get such extensive cheeks? Why is its thumb so short compared to the other finger? Why doesn't the head have the distinctive velociraptor notch? There's no sickle claw!
That's because it is not a Velociraptor and that is very obvious >:(! Seriously....

Maybe if it wasn't so generic looking... And was so fat/feathered that you can't see the shape of the head.
Well of course it is, you almost certainly wouldn't see the shape of the skull on the actual animal.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 07, 2014, 07:46:01 PM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 07, 2014, 07:44:49 PM

Well of course it is, you almost certainly wouldn't see the shape of the skull on the actual animal.
You would maybe have seen a faint outline of the head. It wouldn't be so smooth.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Trisdino

Ultimatedinoking

It's the feathers that obscure the head, have you seen a bald chicken, or a vulture?
-UDK

Gwangi

Stop quoting the picture over and over people, we've all seen it.

Jeholornis was once classified as a bird, in reality it appears to have been a troodontid. Don't bother arguing about if it had feathers or not. We know it had feathers because it was preserved with feathers.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 07, 2014, 07:51:35 PM
It's the feathers that obscure the head, have you seen a bald chicken, or a vulture?
oh wow, you were complaining about a reconstruction with feathers

my votes in, hes a troll and we stop replying to him

Trisdino

I still really want a response on this, by him:

This here is an Alvarezsaurid, more specifically, a hapennasaurid, by the name of Stulturiomimus:

As you can see, it is quite similar to birds in many ways, but also has a few things that sets it apart. For one, it has large teeth in its jaws, also has a very distinctive overall body shape. It is from the mid cretaceous. Would you really claim that this animal should not be portrayed with feathers? Its ancestors had feathers, its cousins had feathers, so why should Stulturiomimus not have feathers?

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 07, 2014, 07:53:23 PM

I was saying that I couldn't tell it wasn't a velociraptor because I couldn't see its head shape.
-UDK

tyrantqueen

*Adds thread to ignore list*

::)

stargatedalek

Tris, don't bother, he knows he'll loose if he takes that bait

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 07, 2014, 07:56:07 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 07, 2014, 07:53:23 PM

I was saying that I couldn't tell it wasn't a velociraptor because I couldn't see its head shape.
Actually it was very obvious, anyway just reply to Trisdino's post, would you show it with feathers, yes or no?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 07, 2014, 08:02:44 PM
Possibly, but I still want to see his response to that.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 07, 2014, 08:02:44 PM
just admit there's no concrete proof of feathers in large theropods, then we all walk away without injury.
-UDK

Yutyrannus

There's no proof of any large theropods not having feathers either.

Trisdino

Let me introduce you to my little friend, his name is Yuty-bloodyfeathers-rannus, and he is a 10 meter long tyrannosaurid covered in fuzz, now shut up and answer my question:

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Trisdino on August 07, 2014, 07:54:07 PM

This here is an Alvarezsaurid, more specifically, a hapennasaurid, by the name of Stulturiomimus:

First off  this is clearly a glorified dinosaur, was it feather, possibly. I can't tell how small it is. My aurgument is that large theropods were not feathered. As for small ones, it would depend on environmental factors.
-UDK

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Trisdino on August 07, 2014, 08:06:57 PM
Let me introduce you to my little friend, his name is Yuty-bloodyfeathers-rannus, and he is a 10 meter long tyrannosaurid covered in fuzz, now shut up and answer my question:

Is that all it's known feathers? How do we know that this isn't a remnant tail tuft? Your basing feathery large theropods on a single fossil? This could just be left over baby fuzz.
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 07, 2014, 08:07:33 PM
Quote from: Trisdino on August 07, 2014, 07:54:07 PM

First off  this is clearly a glorified dinosaur, was it feather, possibly. I can't tell how small it is. My aurgument is that large theropods were not feathered. As for small ones, it would depend on environmental factors.
One: stop saying glorified dinosaur, it's quite annoying. Two: there is no environment that would prevent a dinosaur from having feathers.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: