News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Best Models Out There

Started by Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus, October 17, 2013, 03:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Okay, so I have noticed different threads of "what is the best quetzalcoatlus model to get?" And other threads asking which is the best insert-random-dino-here model? So, here, and forgive me if this has already been made, but here, people can discuss which is the best model currently out there for a collector for the different species. I will edit this post and start making a comprehensive list. To start out, what is the best T-Rex model out there?

EDIT: Due to comments below, I see I need to make a clarification. I am not talking about resin models/kits/the like. So Sideshow obviously doesn't count (we all know what the best models of many a species would be if Sideshow, Krentz, and the like were included). So, the basic companies. Papo, Carnegie, Schleich, Battat, Invicta, Marx, etc. Other than that, see above.

List of best models:

Allosaurus: Papo
Tyrannosaurus Rex: Battat, version 3
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Ikessauro

When  you say model you mean toy, right? Because if we can count resin kits... ah, you all know the rest.

Gwangi

Yeah, I think it is important to make a distinction between what kind of model you're talking about. This could quickly become a thread discussing resin kits and sculptures.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Gwangi on October 17, 2013, 05:28:08 PM
....... This could quickly become a thread discussing resin kits and sculptures.

It shouldn't, because this thread is filed under 'Dinosaur toys'.
I agree, still a lot of people ignore this.

Oh, and the vote for best T. rex goes probably to Battat, even though I'm not really sure, because I don't have one yet :'(.

Gwangi

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 17, 2013, 05:41:30 PM
and the vote for best T. rex goes probably to Battat, even though I'm not really sure, because I don't have one yet :'(.

Agreed, I don't have one either. For Diploducus I would have to say Battat as well but the newer Carnegie is certainly a contender if not the best (it has to be more accurate right?).

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on October 17, 2013, 05:28:08 PM
....... This could quickly become a thread discussing resin kits and sculptures.

It shouldn't, because this thread is filed under 'Dinosaur toys'.
I agree, still a lot of people ignore this.

Oh, and the vote for best T. rex goes probably to Battat, even though I'm not really sure, because I don't have one yet :'(.
I would say that the version 3 is the best T.rex available in toy form, even to this day. I just don't like the paintjob, but that is easily fixed >:D

Also, for me, the Carnegie Anniversary rex comes in a close second (but only if it has a normal head)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gwangi on October 17, 2013, 06:38:14 PM
and the vote for best T. rex goes probably to Battat, even though I'm not really sure, because I don't have one yet :'(.

Agreed, I don't have one either. For Diploducus I would have to say Battat as well but the newer Carnegie is certainly a contender if not the best (it has to be more accurate right?).
I find myelf in agreement with Gwangi here for the most part. For my own tastes I believe the Carnegie does edge the Battat for accuracy if nothing else due to posture and being a more updated figure
  I think that the Carnegie model of psittacosaurus also seems the lesser evil of the few choices currently offered, for that dinosaur. The Collecta piece seems determined to hold the dinosaur as a quadraped...and Kaiyodo did not offer a dinotales figure for this dinosaur. There is the expo model, which I would be reluctant to term a toy, but it too is not that accurate.That being said the Carnegie was retired and never updated. The market could perhaps use one or two really accurate figures of this species.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Thanks to Gwangi, TQ, Ikessauro, and the others who have commented about the resin kits. I meant to clarify that. I've edited the post-see above. Hopefully, as more people comment, we'll be seeing a comprehensive list develop.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Also, I agree with those above who said Battat's rex was the best, although, like TQ, I'm not a huge fan of the paint job.  :))
As people see the list develop, please contest any models you don't think should be on the list. I'll be putting them on based on numbers- for instance, if 3 people go Battat and 2 go Papo for rex, I'd put on Battat. So, if you don't think that Battat is the best, please comment.
-Peter Benchley

Gwangi

Well for the record, I agree that the Papo Allosaurus is the best. So how about Styracosaurus? There are a lot of contenders here. I personally like the Papo but the Battat is really good too, as are the X-Plus and newer Favorite models.

Simon

I think that the 1st Battat TRex, the one without the snowshoes, which tended to fall over, is the best TRex toy figure so far.  It is a far more robust animal than the 3rd Battat TRex version, although on balance I think that version 3 has a better head.  So you have a male (3) with female (1).  For those wondering about version 2, it was just the version 1 with "snowshoes" that were supposed to help it stand up, but in reality didn't do so well because of the quality problems in the casting of the figures.

Now, the TRex below COULD have been the best ever - easily I might add - IF Safari had chosen the pose that I photoshopped:

Takama

My list of the best figures of common dinos

Tyrannosaurus: Carnegie 2014

Stegosaurus: Wild Safari 2008

Velociraptor: CollectA Deluxe

Apatoesaurus: Wild Safari 2010

Carnotaurus: Papo

Brachiosaurus: Carnegie 2012

Allosaurus: Favorite 2012

Spinosaurus: Carnegie 2009

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on October 17, 2013, 09:29:21 PM
Well for the record, I agree that the Papo Allosaurus is the best. So how about Styracosaurus? There are a lot of contenders here. I personally like the Papo but the Battat is really good too, as are the X-Plus and newer Favorite models.
I think the Battat Styracosaurus was good, but I was disappointed by the size. My favourites are the Favorite Ltd ones (both the old and the new) and the Papo.

Simon

The Battat Styracosaurus is the best one, at least in 1/40 scale (the Papo one is pretty awesome, though rendered in a much larger scale.)

The Battat Styracosaurus is the correct size for 1/40 scale.  It was a fairly small ceratopsian ...

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Simon on October 17, 2013, 09:53:52 PM
The Battat Styracosaurus is the best one, at least in 1/40 scale (the Papo one is pretty awesome, though rendered in a much larger scale.)

The Battat Styracosaurus is the correct size for 1/40 scale.  It was a fairly small ceratopsian ...
I never said I wanted it in 1/40 scale :P

Simon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 17, 2013, 09:55:29 PM

Well, there was that much larger Chinasaur that was basically a carbon copy of the Battat Styracosaurus that still pops up on ebay once in a while (its kind of reddish with black accents in the skin folds ......)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Simon on October 18, 2013, 05:25:26 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 17, 2013, 09:55:29 PM

Well, there was that much larger Chinasaur that was basically a carbon copy of the Battat Styracosaurus that still pops up on ebay once in a while (its kind of reddish with black accents in the skin folds ......)
Are you talking about the Waiphoon knock off? I have it and it's actually the exact same size at the Battat. See here:

Megalosaurus

Oh! So my Quetzalcoatlus question inspired you?
This thread is a good idea, but...
There will always be the eternal "accuracy" fight.
For example, Is Papo Allosaurus the best model? Scintifically&educational = NO but Artistically = YES (to me, but many will differ).
Anyway I'm not accuracy defender. In fact, i prefer organic look and detailed sculpt.
Some of best toys to me are:

Allosaurus: Papo
T. Rex: Running Rex Papo
Triceratops: Papo
Styracosaurus: Papo
Dimetrodon: Papo
Stegosaurus: Pa... wait.  Bullyland Museum Line
Tylosaurus: Carnegie

Anyone seeing a pattern here?  :o
Curiously, I'm NOT a Papo loyal defender  C:-) . I can see its flaws, but comparing toys, in most cases i still prefer its "lifelikenesses" (not sure if it is even a word).

Talking about Battat, i've never seen a Battat with my own eyes, so i can't say anything about it.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

tyrantqueen

I would describe my favourites too, but I think if I did that I'd just end up regurgitating stuff that's already been said ;)

Papo are very good, they have enormous potential but I don't think they've realised it yet....

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 18, 2013, 08:57:51 PM
I would describe my favourites too, but I think if I did that I'd just end up regurgitating stuff that's already been said ;)

Papo are very good, they have enormous potential but I don't think they've realised it yet....

I know they won't, but if Jurassic World and the people involved were to step up their authenticity for the movie, I do believe Papo would follow suit. Ah well. I still think Papo has the best detail out there, and it is still one of my favorite companies. But I hope to see a feathered (at the very least) dino from them soon.
-Peter Benchley

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: