News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best and worst of CollectA?

Started by Raptoress, November 05, 2013, 09:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raptoress

Hi, everyone. Been absent for a while so sorry for not replying to some people's messages. Today I've decided I want to collect the CollectA range of model dinosaurs. I've seen that there are many fantastic models. I particularly like the torosaurus. However, I think we all know that they've also had their share of awful models. Especially from a while back.

But now I need your opinions for the best, and the worst of their models. Which of them are absolute musts, and which ones should I avoid? One that comes to mind is their dilophosaurus (a truly horrible figure). The thing with me, is that I'd rather have a very good quality, but somewhat inaccurate model than an accurate model of poor quality. As long as it's not horribly inaccurate, like upright theropods then it doesn't matter to me very much. My favourite models come from Schleich and Papo, and I'm very aware that Schleich isn't the most loved company on this forum, but I love their later models nonetheless. Of course, a model that is both very good quality and scientifically accurate would be the best.

Pictures would also be good, if you'd like to show of your models!

Megalosaurus

Hi Alicia.

I have just a few CollectAs because i don't like most of their models, but there are some that i like and own. Here you go:

Plateosaurus (Not to scale) is pretty good. By the way, i used it in my diorama entry.

Styracosaurus (Not to scale) i love its "Oh my God!!!" expresión.

T. Rex Deluxe 1:40 scale. Pretty detailed, a good companion to Papo's first T.Rex.

Just a few samples. Let's hear more opinions.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Gwangi

Scelidosaurus. One of only two models of this guy that I'm aware of, the other being an old Invicta model.

Jobaria

Dacentrurus

Georassic

If you do dioramas, the Dead Triceratops and Hypsilophodon Family are nice additions.

Olorotitan is nice too...attractive color scheme that's different from most models (of any genera), but don't be fooled if it's marketed as "Large Olorotitan." It's a small figure as hadrosaurs go, about 1:55 scale.

Roselaar

These are must-haves (which haven't yet been mentioned) as far as I'm concerned, they all balance an attractive look with ample scientific accuracy (mostly). Non-dinosaurs are also included.

Deluxe Deinocheirus:

Deluxe Neovenator:

Deluxe Amargasaurus:

Deluxe Megacerops:

Ampelosaurus:

Argentinosaurus:

Irritator:

Therizinosaurus:

Hatzegopteryx:

Avoid at all costs (I won't even grace these with pics):

-Eustreptospondylus
-Allosaurus
-Shunosaurus
-Dracorex
-Megalosaurus
-Mapusaurus
-Ornithocheirus
-Alioramus
-Deluxe Baryonyx
-Deluxe Brachiosaurus
-Deluxe Ankylosaurus

tyrantqueen

QuoteAvoid at all costs (I won't even grace these with pics):

-Eustreptospondylus
-Allosaurus
-Shunosaurus
-Dracorex
-Megalosaurus
-Mapusaurus
-Ornithocheirus
-Alioramus
-Deluxe Baryonyx
-Deluxe Brachiosaurus
-Deluxe Ankylosaurus
Why is the Mapusaurus included? It isn't everyone's cup of tea, sure. But is it in the same league as Eustreptospondylus? No way. It has a nicely sculpted head and the forearms are correct.

Most of the people who disliked the Mapusaurus were mad because it was changed from the prototype photo. Too bad.
If you're going to include the CollectA Mapusaurus, I would also include the Tyrannosaurus with Prey, and possibly the Union Jack faced Daspletosaurus. Those are uglier.

tyrantqueen

Don't forget the Rhomaleosaurus

The red eyes do make it look a bit goofy, but I believe Dr Admin reviewed it and liked it. The Attenborosaurus is also good.

Roselaar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 06, 2013, 04:35:30 PM

Why is the Mapusaurus included?

Because she asked for opinions, and this is mine. I think it's terrible.

I agree the Daspletosaurus isn't pretty either. The Rex with prey is neither recommended nor disrecommended. Says I.

tyrantqueen

Here are mine then (bear in mind I'm not the biggest CollectA fan in the first place, and I'm picky):

Likes: Jobaria, Dolichorhynchops, Dacentrurus, Rhomaleosaurus, Hatzegopteryx and Concavenator.

Dislikes: Union jack faced Parasaurolophus (as well as any of the other dinosaurs with union jack facepaint such as the Daspletosarus and Ankylosaurus) any of the older Paras, Eustreptospondylus, Tyrannosaurus with prey, dead Triceratops (not my cup of tea), old JP styled Velociraptor, Irritator, both Neovenators, 1:15 scale Tyrannosaurus.

Maybe the OP should just read the blog reviews and form an opinion from there.

Takama

IMO

BEST

Dacentrues

Olorotitan

Miragaria

Rajasaurus

Mujungasaurus

Irritator

Utahceratops

Diplodocus

Neovenator Deluxe

Amargasaurus Deluxe

Lexovisaurus

Tyrannosaurus With Prey and Base(I await the flying tomatoes)

Argentinasaurus

All of the Marine Reptiles

Hatzigopteryx

Thirzinosaurus

Mutaburosaurus

Velociraptor Deluxe

Worst

Becklespinax

Neovenator

Eustreptospondylus

Spinosaurus Deluxe

allosaurus

Tyrannosaurus

Velociraptor

Brachiosaurus Deluxe

Brachiosaurus

Crackington

I have the hypsilophodon family which is a nice little (and inexpensive!) diorama. I also have the ouranosaurus which is OK, but perhaps not for the Collecta must-have list.

As suggested on the Forum before, I'd like to see them link up with the Natural History Museum as they have the potential to be the new Invicta. The quality has definitely improved over the years and I'll probably get a few more over time. 

Raptoress

Quote from: Crackington on November 06, 2013, 09:01:20 PM
I have the hypsilophodon family which is a nice little (and inexpensive!) diorama. I also have the ouranosaurus which is OK, but perhaps not for the Collecta must-have list.

As suggested on the Forum before, I'd like to see them link up with the Natural History Museum as they have the potential to be the new Invicta. The quality has definitely improved over the years and I'll probably get a few more over time. 

It's quite a cute diorama! But I'm not into those I'm afraid. I prefer single, baseless figures because I like to use them for photography as well as just to collect. Ouranosaurus seems decent. I may get that one.

It would be interesting to see them tied with the Natural History Museum! I have to say I'm not a fan of Invicta, though. But I understand what you're saying.

Raptoress

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 06, 2013, 05:14:03 PM
Here are mine then (bear in mind I'm not the biggest CollectA fan in the first place, and I'm picky):

Likes: Jobaria, Dolichorhynchops, Dacentrurus, Rhomaleosaurus, Hatzegopteryx and Concavenator.

Dislikes: Union jack faced Parasaurolophus (as well as any of the other dinosaurs with union jack facepaint such as the Daspletosarus and Ankylosaurus) any of the older Paras, Eustreptospondylus, Tyrannosaurus with prey, dead Triceratops (not my cup of tea), old JP styled Velociraptor, Irritator, both Neovenators, 1:15 scale Tyrannosaurus.

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of the aquatic reptiles nor the Concavenator. The Dacentrurus and others you mentioned are brilliant, though. I actually like quite a few of your dislikes. Well, except that god awful Eustreptopondylus and not too keen on the Tyrannosaurus.  Thanks for stating your opinions, though.

Also I've read nearly all the CollectA reviews. But I feel one opinion is not enough so I want to hear the opinions of other people.

Raptoress

Quote from: Georassic on November 06, 2013, 04:25:03 AM
If you do dioramas, the Dead Triceratops and Hypsilophodon Family are nice additions.

Olorotitan is nice too...attractive color scheme that's different from most models (of any genera), but don't be fooled if it's marketed as "Large Olorotitan." It's a small figure as hadrosaurs go, about 1:55 scale.

I don't do dioramas, but I do like using my figures for photography. I like the dead triceratops, that would be a nice addition to my photography.

I really like the olorotitan. Thanks for recommending it. It'd be nice to add an obscure hadrosaur to my collection.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Aliciaraptor on November 06, 2013, 10:46:17 PM

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of the aquatic reptiles nor the Concavenator. The Dacentrurus and others you mentioned are brilliant, though. I actually like quite a few of your dislikes. Well, except that god awful Eustreptopondylus and not too keen on the Tyrannosaurus.  Thanks for stating your opinions, though.

Also I've read nearly all the CollectA reviews. But I feel one opinion is not enough so I want to hear the opinions of other people.
How long have you been collecting? If you're new to this hobby, you may find your likes and dislikes change over time as your collection grows. At least it did with me ;) At first I only cared about buying all the Papo dinosaurs, but as I got more interested in paleontology as a whole, I starting liking the more accurate figures such as the Carnegies.

Or they may stay the same. That's cool too 8)

Raptoress

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 06, 2013, 11:11:46 PM
Quote from: Aliciaraptor on November 06, 2013, 10:46:17 PM

How long have you been collecting? If you're new to this hobby, you may find your likes and dislikes change over time as your collection grows. At least it did with me ;) At first I only cared about buying all the Papo dinosaurs, but as I got more interested in paleontology as a whole, I starting liking the more accurate figures such as the Carnegies.

Or they may stay the same. That's cool too 8)

I'm fairly new to the hobby. Been collecting for about a year, though only very select models. But I had an interest in dinosaurs since as long as I can remember. My interest lay silent for several years though until last year when I became fascinated with them again after watching an episode of Walking With Dinosaurs.

You're probably right, I may change tastes as I get deeper into this hobby. Haha I myself am a bit of a Papo fangirl, I hate to admit. :P However the Carnegies look very nice... I do really like the looks of their giganotosaurus. Especially it's paint job. Very interesting colour scheme for a dinosaur, since I'm pretty tired of all the bland greys, browns and greens.

You seem to be experienced in this hobby. Do you happen to know of any good ceratopsian models you can recommend me?

Gwangi

Quote from: Aliciaraptor on November 07, 2013, 01:35:16 AM
You seem to be experienced in this hobby. Do you happen to know of any good ceratopsian models you can recommend me?

I know I was not the target of this question but if I may chime in I suggest looking into the latest releases by Safari. They've released fantastic ceratopsians the last three years and a few years back released a Triceratops that is pretty good despite some inaccuracies. You probably already are aware of them but the Papo ones are pretty good too, even in terms of accuracy which is unusual for them.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on November 07, 2013, 02:17:13 AM
Quote from: Aliciaraptor on November 07, 2013, 01:35:16 AM

I know I was not the target of this question but if I may chime in I suggest looking into the latest releases by Safari. They've released fantastic ceratopsians the last three years and a few years back released a Triceratops that is pretty good despite some inaccuracies. You probably already are aware of them but the Papo ones are pretty good too, even in terms of accuracy which is unusual for them.

Hello, check out my Thundering herd thread and look at all the ceratopsians in my collection, some you can see side-by-side for good comparison. You can ask if you need info on a particular figure  ;)
I personally love the CollectA line. Almost all of their earlier effort ( released under Procon name) are not that great, but some are still worth getting.
The figures from 2010- 2013 are good figures.
I like the new 2013 diplo and Para, both good figures ;D I also like their ceratopsians, sauropods, and marine reptiles. One of my favorite is the deluxe Agustinia, the head needs a major makeover ( an dI hope they will sculpt a new one,soon!).
[]

Cheers! ;D

tanystropheus

Quote from: Roselaar on November 06, 2013, 03:05:35 PM
These are must-haves (which haven't yet been mentioned) as far as I'm concerned, they all balance an attractive look with ample scientific accuracy (mostly). Non-dinosaurs are also included.

Deluxe Deinocheirus:

Deluxe Neovenator:

Deluxe Amargasaurus:

Deluxe Megacerops:

Ampelosaurus:

Argentinosaurus:

Irritator:

Therizinosaurus:

Hatzegopteryx:

Excellent list. I would also include  Dolichorhynchops, Dacentrurus, Diplodocus, Deinotherium Diabloceratops.

tyrantqueen

QuoteYou seem to be experienced in this hobby. Do you happen to know of any good ceratopsian models you can recommend me?
For plastic toys, I like Papo's models best. The Styracosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus are worth getting. I also like Favorite Ltd's model and statues. My favourite model by them is their large green Triceratops, as seen here:

...but it's a bit on the expensive side. You should also check out their other models. I'm not a fan of the Safaris (except maybe the Vagaceratops) to be honest, so I'll pass on those. If you don't mind the small size, you should look at Kaiyodo's capsule ceratopsians: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1583.0

There are also many great model kits and Shapeways prints available. But I don't know if you're into those, so I'm hesitant to recommend them.

So yeah, like I said, I'm picky a connoisseur >:D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: