News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo- new for 2014

Started by Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus, November 08, 2013, 04:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on December 21, 2013, 04:01:30 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 21, 2013, 03:04:14 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 21, 2013, 01:58:36 AM
I thought the Archaeopteryx had a 'raptor' head:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OhvNbS-6NT8/UI7sC4Bo9vI/AAAAAAAACWg/CyHaCVX_1vw/s1600/DBS_Archaeopteryx+02.jpg

http://www.solnhofen-fossilienatlas.de/fossilien/440reko_kopf.jpg

I think the problem with the model is that the head size is a bit large, as well as how it transitions (no pun intended) from feather to scales--if we could get a more detailed look of the back and side of the head....

Many of us were expecting an Archaeopteryx from Carnegie...It is interesting that Papo was able to deliver an Archaeopteryx by 2014.

Could be Carnegie / Safari found out and held theirs off ?

Maybe its vice versa, and Papo wanted to compete, but Safari for some reason stepped down.

Could be..fun to speculate at the least. :)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 21, 2013, 03:04:14 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 21, 2013, 01:58:36 AM
I thought the Archaeopteryx had a 'raptor' head:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OhvNbS-6NT8/UI7sC4Bo9vI/AAAAAAAACWg/CyHaCVX_1vw/s1600/DBS_Archaeopteryx+02.jpg

http://www.solnhofen-fossilienatlas.de/fossilien/440reko_kopf.jpg

I think the problem with the model is that the head size is a bit large, as well as how it transitions (no pun intended) from feather to scales--if we could get a more detailed look of the back and side of the head....

Many of us were expecting an Archaeopteryx from Carnegie...It is interesting that Papo was able to deliver an Archaeopteryx by 2014.

Could be Carnegie / Safari found out and held theirs off ?

Papo is pretty tight-lipped. I would be surprised if Carnegie/Safari found about their competitor's products ahead of time.

ZoPteryx

Woah!  These Papo figures look very nice!

Archy:  Definitely looks a bit like a generic feathered raptor, but aesthetically it looks very cool.  Accuracy wise the snout is too robust and the teeth too prominent, scaley head is inaccurate, legs don't look long enough, the inner toe was hyperextendible but its claw was not particularly large so no real issues there, the tail feathers at the base of the tail look a bit too large, feathering should extend onto the lower legs, I can't tell if the primary wing feathers are in their accurate positions (it looks as if they almost stop a little too short), and finally, at least some its wing coverts should be black.  ...still pretty cool looking though... ::)

Also, reminds me of these:

Dilo:  Clearly a reused Allosaurus, but very nice nonetheless.  Palms look thick enough that they could be hiding the vestigial fourth finger, head looks awesome, the only issue I have is that the tail might be a bit too short and I personally don't like its posture.  The best Dilo on the market by far!

Baby Trike:  Forefeet look a little too elephantine, but otherwise very good.  I'll probably pass on this one though, just not my cup of tea.

Overall, Papo continues to impress!

joossa

I too, also wanted the Giganotosaurus.
The Dilophosaurus isn't bad. Same with the Archaeopteryx. I'm excited, but not super excited.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

dutchdinolover

Quote from: joossa on December 21, 2013, 08:00:07 AM
The Dilophosaurus isn't bad. Same with the Archaeopteryx. I'm excited, but not super excited.

I agree. I'm i bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, i like the figures a lot. But i was hopping for more in quantity and/or size.

The look of the dilophosaurus tail looks weird in mine opinion.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dutchdinolover on December 21, 2013, 10:46:25 AM
Quote from: joossa on December 21, 2013, 08:00:07 AM

I agree. I'm i bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, i like the figures a lot. But i was hopping for more in quantity and/or size.

The look of the dilophosaurus tail looks weird in mine opinion.

The Dilo I'm expecting is a about the size of the Allosaurus if they based it's main body on that one.  So  good size figure still.  I think three figures is the most Papo has ever released at once..unless you count repaints.  No reason to hope more quantity really.

The tail as we've said is probably the angle..at least I hope so.

amanda

They reused the Pachyrhino molds for the styraco too, with some mods, but the styraco IS a bit smaller. Not some, but a bit. The Trike baby should end up being quite small-ish, and we don't really know about Archy. I could see him being medium sized. I remember when Papo put out less than this a year. This is a step forward for them. Two new figures, real experiments, and one little one. They can't all be running Rex/Brachio sized, and not every year. Y'all is getting spoiled...:D

Gwangi

Quote from: amanda on December 21, 2013, 06:35:27 PM
They reused the Pachyrhino molds for the styraco too, with some mods, but the styraco IS a bit smaller. Not some, but a bit. The Trike baby should end up being quite small-ish, and we don't really know about Archy. I could see him being medium sized. I remember when Papo put out less than this a year. This is a step forward for them. Two new figures, real experiments, and one little one. They can't all be running Rex/Brachio sized, and not every year. Y'all is getting spoiled...:D

I agree. They've produced an obscure feathered theropod and a Dilophosaurus that was not inspired by JP. Both of these are figures most of us have been waiting for, every year I hear people clamoring for a Dilophosaurus...we got it, it's pretty good too. Papo may well be on their way to producing more accurate and obscure dinosaurs and I'm all for that.

Simon

The Dilophosaurus might be influenced by David Silva's resin kit:

Invicta Hunter

I think Papo should every year release one large, medium and small figure. This way there would be a nice range of sizes so everyone kidda gets what they want. Also it would be great if they could release a limited figure once a year. This would be great for all us collectors and would really help draw attention to the brand.
Some people say Papo listened to the carno suggestion last year, so maybe they could put a poll on the Papo website and allow us (the collectors) to help them in their decision making every year.
This is obviously wishful thinking but it would really go along way in the dinosaur figure collecting community and once again make Papo stand out in the crowd.

suspsy

The Dilo's body does resemble the Allosaur's, but I'm going to wait until I see a side by side comparison.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

I think the Dilo will be the same size as the Papo Oviraptor. It seems closer to the Oviraptor build than to the Allosaurus to me.

amanda

Quote from: Invicta Hunter on December 21, 2013, 09:58:48 PM
I think Papo should every year release one large, medium and small figure. This way there would be a nice range of sizes so everyone kidda gets what they want. Also it would be great if they could release a limited figure once a year. This would be great for all us collectors and would really help draw attention to the brand.
Some people say Papo listened to the carno suggestion last year, so maybe they could put a pole on the Papo website and allow us (the collectors) to help them in their decision making every year.
This is obviously wishful thinking but it would really go along way in the dinosaur figure collecting community and once again make Papo stand out in the crowd.

Nah. It already stands out in a crowd. Like them or not, accurate or not, nobody does fluid poses and insane detail like Papo. On a shelf next to competition they pop. And until Safari/Carnegie and CollecA start stepping up, that will never change. They are all starting to add more detail, but Papo is crazy aboutt it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm thinking the Dilo might be slightly smaller than the Allosaurus..but not my much.

SpartanSquat

One question about archaeopteryx, it have moveable jaws? Like all theropods.
Thinking a thing, if sideshow will release jorge blanco tylosaurus, maybe Papo will remake the tylosaurus based in jorge blanco model!

amanda

Well that was part of what I was asking. Archy's jaws look movable. In fact they look a lot like the raptor's jaws. But the Dilopho's don't. It's the dewlap under the chin. If the jaws move, how does that work?

The only "resculpt" they have done is the running Tyrannosaur. I highly doubt they would remake the Tylosaurus. The marine reptiles are an odd choice for them anyway. They'd look essentially smooth and Papo specializes in fine detail/scale stuff. I would like to see them make some more pterosaurs though.

tyrantqueen

QuoteThe only "resculpt" they have done is the running Tyrannosaur. I highly doubt they would remake the Tylosaurus. The marine reptiles are an odd choice for them anyway. They'd look essentially smooth and Papo specializes in fine detail/scale stuff. I would like to see them make some more pterosaurs though.
I wouldn't really call it a resculpt. It's more of a companion piece to the original Tyrannosaurus.

And Papo have produced marine animals before, which are smooth (such as the orca), although I'm not sure they use the same sculptor (Woon) as they do for their prehistorics.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amanda on December 22, 2013, 12:53:45 PM
Well that was part of what I was asking. Archy's jaws look movable. In fact they look a lot like the raptor's jaws. But the Dilopho's don't. It's the dewlap under the chin. If the jaws move, how does that work?

The only "resculpt" they have done is the running Tyrannosaur. I highly doubt they would remake the Tylosaurus. The marine reptiles are an odd choice for them anyway. They'd look essentially smooth and Papo specializes in fine detail/scale stuff. I would like to see them make some more pterosaurs though.

It probably has a larger area to accommodate it. 

I have to agree the running Rex isn't a resculpt..just another tyrannosaur piece.

amanda

Looking at it that way then, they have not gone back and "fixed" any of their sculpts. As for a marine reptile, how about an ichtyosaur? Harder to get the body of that to be too retro...

Concavenator

Finally!!!  :D
WOW,all of those guys look incredible!I'm just soo happy...I've been awaiting this moment so much time...but I'm surprised.No Giganotosaurus!I've been all this time saying 'Papo will release a Giganotosaurus,I'm so sure of that'and so but then...no!Hah,but I'm really surprised they did a Dilophosaurus but what an awesome model it is!I thought a Ceratosaurus was far more likely.But I just realized that Dilophosaurus had a thing that Giganotosaurus may've lacked.We've been suggesting a Dilophosaurus since so many time ago...even in the old forum I saw lots and lots of requests for one.
I'm not surprised it took so long for them to do it,though.Maybe they were really thinking about doing one or not...given the JP Dilophosaurus is very popular (though I hate it so much...it's damn ugly  *yuck* ) ,but they were clear and not based it on that thing...it feels a little Sideshow inspired,doesn't it?

I also love the Archaeopteryx.My only complaint is yeah,the bald head and the bald neck,that's it.I'd also like if the face expression was more natural,as well.I'll get that one for sure though.

And that adorable baby Triceratops!  ^-^ It's so cute!Aw!I really hope they resculpt the adult one.It's just so,so... :-\ Poor paintjob,not great looking,like the others in the line.Imagine a new one.Wouldn't that be great?

I'm very happy with the new additions,I'll get all!  :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: