News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Fossils at the Flea Market (image heavy)

Started by Megalosaurus, November 30, 2013, 07:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megalosaurus

Hi.
I found that some people is selling fossils in the flea market here in México. You know, here the law is someting like "you found it? Its yours", except if it is a treasure or petroleum.
They come from a place named Chihuahua.
Oh well, here you have photos:

I couldn't resist the temptation and bought three little ones.

Do you have had similar experiences?
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Gwangi

Look at all those ammonites! Wouldn't mind one of the larger ones. Very cool.

fleshanthos

I agree on that one!There are alot of pieces in there - I "wonder" where some of them come from, like the large black polished rock with Belemnites on them.
People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Laughable Beliefs

amargasaurus cazaui

Most of the ammonites pictured are African commercial pieces, sliced and polished and sold by the boxload, graded by size. The large black polished piece I see is covered with Orthoceras, and would likely be Moroccan. Some of the ammonites appear to be hand carved from materials like onyx or marble. The material that appears to be amber is most likely copal instead, and fairly common. The large ammonites are gorgeous and a few of them that are pictured should sell for extreme amounts.Much of the material is however very common in rock shows and fossil dealers, and flea markets. It all looks so nice when presented together like that.....makes me ponder setting up a display here at home like that.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Megalosaurus

Hello.
I went to another flea market and spotted a few fossils:

This are bones, I examined its extructure and conclude they really are fossilised bones, but no word of wich genus.

This seems to be eggs, the broken one is more likely real egg, the other I'm unsure (I'm not trained in peleontology). In the bottom are 2 broken ammonites.

Of curse there were more fossils, mostly small ammonites like the pictures in the first post.
Oh, and I forgot to photograh the amber :( they had inclusions, mosly ants and small stick insects, a mini flower, etc. But I was just admiring them and talking with the seller, so I completely forget to take a picture.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Arul

Fossil in a flea market ?   :o how the seller find it  :-\

stargatedalek

occasionally some of the shops or flea markets here will sell imported fossils, but Nova Scotia has some rather strict laws regarding the taking of local fossils

Bokisaurus

Very nice, there are some really beautiful ammonite pieces there. Some of those non-prehistoric stuff looks cool, too, like those clay statues. My living room needs a few accents  :)

Dinomike

I've bumped into a fossil dealer on my trip to Madrid. They had some ammonites and fossilized fern imprints etc. But nothing that big. Ammonites and small fossils make a good addition to ones dinosaur collection giving it a sophisticated and professional touch in my opinion! :)
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.