News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Edmontosaurus gets a crest.

Started by Takama, December 12, 2013, 06:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

Quote from: A.Garcia on December 13, 2013, 10:38:14 PM
This sounds very exciting. I love hadrosaurs, but I've been irked, artistically, when many reconstructions follow the bone so precisely for head ornamentation. With such a variety of bony ornaments, there should have been something going on that we can't see, for both crested and crestless hadrosaurs. That's why any news of fossil evidence is great to see. Now I want to make an Edmontosaurus model, as if that list isn't too long already. ::)

Oh, that's a lovely Tsintaosaurus. The fuller crest feels right for that species.
Oh, that's not mine. That was drawn by forum member Gryphoceratops. I have posted an illustration of the new Edmontosaurus on page 1, though.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

A.Garcia

QuoteOh, that's not mine. That was drawn by forum member Gryphoceratops. I have posted an illustration of the new Edmontosaurus on page 1, though.

Yes, I guess I've seen some of his other paintings, too. Your Edmontosaurus is fun to see- it looks like that individual could knock over a Tyrannosaurus!

Yutyrannus

Quote from: A.Garcia on December 13, 2013, 11:33:32 PM
QuoteOh, that's not mine. That was drawn by forum member Gryphoceratops. I have posted an illustration of the new Edmontosaurus on page 1, though.

Yes, I guess I've seen some of his other paintings, too. Your Edmontosaurus is fun to see- it looks like that individual could knock over a Tyrannosaurus!
Yeah, its because he's a polar dinosaur with a lot of blubber to keep warm :).

alexeratops

like a bantha!

Takama

Quote from: alexeratops on December 14, 2013, 12:44:22 AM
What happened to Dinocheirus?

Long story short, it got a Hump or Sail like Concavenator

ZoPteryx

Very cool discovery!  Opens up a world of possibilities....okay, those possibilities were already open, but at least this find makes them more likely. :))

wings

Quote from: Seijun on December 13, 2013, 10:19:41 PM
I dont remember hearing about that at all. Is the Tsintao crest made entirely of bone then?
Haven't been back for a while; but this is the article on the Tsintaosaurus http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0082268.

DinoLord

Keep in mind this find only applies to one species of Edmontosaurus. It's still possible the others were bald.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on December 14, 2013, 02:21:36 AM
Quote from: alexeratops on December 14, 2013, 12:44:22 AM
What happened to Dinocheirus?

Long story short, it got a Hump or Sail like Concavenator

What are they doing? ???

tyrantqueen

QuoteWhat are they doing? ???
Having a dust bath, like a sparrow

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 16, 2013, 02:59:27 PM
QuoteWhat are they doing? ???
Having a dust bath, like a sparrow

Okay, I guess that makes sense.

ZoPteryx

Not so fast!!!

This artist makes a very valid point:
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Edmontosaurus-annectens-and-the-Crest-That-Wasn-t-422326269

...in this version of the story,  all of our Safari Edmontosaurus toys get to stay accurate! >:D

tyrantqueen

Would the females have had a crest? If not, then Safari's Edmontosaurus works pretty well in that regard.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Interesting. I'm not sure if we have any evidence for crest size based on sex do we?

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 27, 2013, 04:41:57 AM
Interesting. I'm not sure if we have any evidence for crest size based on sex do we?
Amongst dinosaurs, only Parasaurolophus comes to mind, but I don't know if the gender of short-crested individuals has ever been determined.  In pterosaurs, it is generally accepted that Pteranodontids females were virtually crestless, in addition to being smaller.  Conversely, the same does not appear true in birds; while males are often more flamboyant than females, I can't think of any crested species in which the females lack a crest. ???

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Zopteryx on December 27, 2013, 03:39:53 AM
Not so fast!!!

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Edmontosaurus-annectens-and-the-Crest-That-Wasn-t-422326269

...in this version of the story,  all of our Safari Edmontosaurus toys get to stay accurate! >:D
I don't agree with this but I do think it is illogical to assume that E. annectens had this comb, as it is only preserves on E. regalis and we know that species within a genus can differ greatly ;).

Balaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on December 27, 2013, 07:08:47 AM
Quote from: Zopteryx on December 27, 2013, 03:39:53 AM
Not so fast!!!

I don't agree with this but I do think it is illogical to assume that E. annectens had this comb, as it is only preserves on E. regalis and we know that species within a genus can differ greatly ;).

Me too. For now, I will view  E. annectens as crestless, and E. regalis as crestful. ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Zopteryx on December 27, 2013, 05:25:30 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 27, 2013, 04:41:57 AM
Amongst dinosaurs, only Parasaurolophus comes to mind, but I don't know if the gender of short-crested individuals has ever been determined.  In pterosaurs, it is generally accepted that Pteranodontids females were virtually crestless, in addition to being smaller.  Conversely, the same does not appear true in birds; while males are often more flamboyant than females, I can't think of any crested species in which the females lack a crest. ???

That species is what first came to my mind, but I've never heard anything as what gender they are..actually that goes for any dinosaur really. Last I read we still aren't sure what differentiates the sexes among them based on fossil evidence.   

Isn't it still accepted that pterosaurs crests could have aided in flight ? That would be an odd adaptation if the females didn't have one at all right ?

Simon

As far as Pterosaur crests go, I can't imagine that they were not used in flight.  Given the intricacies of flight, having a large surface like a crest would either be useful or detrimental in flight - you can't hide them from the wind.  If detrimental, it would not have been selected for genetically. 

Given that it was located on top of the maneuverable, swiveling head, a crest was in an optimal location to be used as a control surface.  I would think that it would have improved maneuverability in flight...

...just a laymen's 2 cents' worth ...

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Simon on December 27, 2013, 04:48:52 PM
As far as Pterosaur crests go, I can't imagine that they were not used in flight.  Given the intricacies of flight, having a large surface like a crest would either be useful or detrimental in flight - you can't hide them from the wind. If detrimental, it would not have been selected for genetically. 

Given that it was located on top of the maneuverable, swiveling head, a crest was in an optimal location to be used as a control surface.  I would think that it would have improved maneuverability in flight...

...just a laymen's 2 cents' worth ...
Not necessarily. Hornbills evolved a big crest (casque) and a brightly coloured beak for sexual attraction, even though it intrudes with their vision field.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: