News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Edmontosaurus gets a crest.

Started by Takama, December 12, 2013, 06:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

DinoToyForum

Very interesting! Btw, I edited your post and title because you spelled Edmontosaurus wrong :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Would love to see some actual fossil pictures alongside reconstructions.  Kind of reminds me of the little bump you used to see on older Maiasaur restorations.

Takama

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 12, 2013, 06:48:17 PM
Very interesting! Btw, I edited your post and title because you spelled Edmontosaurus wrong :)

Thanks.  I may know Dinosaur names but sometimes I forget how to spell them.

tyrantqueen

This is interesting. Looks like we're going to need some updated models including this new crest >:D

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 12, 2013, 06:59:04 PM
Would love to see some actual fossil pictures alongside reconstructions.  Kind of reminds me of the little bump you used to see on older Maiasaur restorations.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2013/12/12/surpise-well-studied-dinosaur-actually-had-a-cocks-comb/

Fossil pic here. :)

CityRaptor

Finally! A Cure against Hadrosaur Baldness! ;D
Guess that means that the recently released WW3D Edmontosaurus is already outdated. Really interesting!

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Yutyrannus

Wow, perfect timing! I was just about to draw this guy for my series ;D!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Balaur

Wow. That is something I never saw coming. How awesome!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 12, 2013, 07:46:23 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 12, 2013, 06:59:04 PM

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2013/12/12/surpise-well-studied-dinosaur-actually-had-a-cocks-comb/

Fossil pic here. :)

That's just the crest right ? I was looking for the whole thing with it. Any chance to see a dinosaur mummy you know. ;)

Yutyrannus

Once colored, I will post my crested Edmontosaurus here as well as in the Dinosaurs: Monsters of the Mesozoic thread because it is relevent enough and I think he turned out very well :).

Yutyrannus

Here is my reconstruction of the new Edmontosaurus :):

Everything_Dinosaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on December 13, 2013, 02:35:00 AM
Here is my reconstruction of the new Edmontosaurus :):

Great reconstructions, sometime soon a new paper will be published that suggests that E. regalis may have had a comb on its head like seen on several members of the chicken family.  We have not read the paper ourselves, but we think it is due out soon.

Yutyrannus

Seijun

I dont remember hearing about that at all. Is the Tsintao crest made entirely of bone then?
Regarding the edmonto, the crest on the fossil looks bigger and a different shape than what is in the article illustration. Just something I noticed.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Yutyrannus

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Seijun on December 13, 2013, 10:19:41 PM
I dont remember hearing about that at all. Is the Tsintao crest made entirely of bone then?
Regarding the edmonto, the crest on the fossil looks bigger and a different shape than what is in the article illustration. Just something I noticed.
Yes, it is bone from what I've heard. Also, I too noticed that about the illustration in the article, I tried to make mine (on the page 1 of this thread) closer to the fossil crest's size :).

A.Garcia

This sounds very exciting. I love hadrosaurs, but I've been irked, artistically, when many reconstructions follow the bone so precisely for head ornamentation. With such a variety of bony ornaments, there should have been something going on that we can't see, for both crested and crestless hadrosaurs. That's why any news of fossil evidence is great to see. Now I want to make an Edmontosaurus model, as if that list isn't too long already. ::)

Oh, that's a lovely Tsintaosaurus. The fuller crest feels right for that species.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: