News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Weavers' Repaints

Started by Weaver, March 29, 2012, 09:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

So guys after seeing that news article about black-feathered Microraptors and even Paleoferroequine's take on it I decided that I would take the plunge and try my hand at it. I thought this was going to be so simple and direct.

How wrong I was.

I have a whole new respect for the folks that paint these models at the factory and those that repaint them as well. You all are gods and I am but a mere speck of dust at your feet.

Anyway! Down to buisness!

Model: Carnegie Collection Microraptor, 2005 [ Original look]
Inspiration: Black-billed Magpie (Pica hudsonia)[Reference: 1 2 3]

This little guy has been renamed, Mr. M. Repainted with blue, white and black feathers. Grey skin and black claws. Yellow eyes. And painted his mouth. I have no skill in sculpting so nothing was sculpted or chopped apart.

Back (shows 'iridescence'):

Front (feathers are not iridescent):

About the blue. I have lots of Magpies living in my town and I decided that instead of a interferance-pearl-color (I want those Pearl Ex Pigments so much!) I would try to capture that blue black on the wings as the bird flaps. Thank goodness for Pthalo Blue and a little white for opacity. Also it looks a little bright because of the flash, I'll try for a more natural light in the morning.   

I'm really happy with it for my first-time-ever doing a repaint. I'm surprised by how nice he looks although he needs a few speckles I missed filled in. The one thing I learned about this is not to go against the feathers. Start with the bottom row of feathers and stroke downwards.

I want to do more of these. This is a lot of fun.
~Weaver

tyrantqueen

Looks really nice! Especially the blue.

Am I  the only one who thinks that knowing a dinosaur's colour with absolute certainty kinda ruins the fun of painting them?  :P

Tylosaurus

Very cool Microraptor there Weaver! good idea with the color scheme of the Magpie and the King Fisher I believe? as the Blue fella goes?
Yeah this one is very neatly done 8)

paleoferroequine

Looks good.  I really like the black, white, blue scheme. BTW, in addition to Pearl-Ex, Tamiya Models make a spray paint- Iridescent purple/green(PS-46) and Iridescent pink/gold(PS-47) which can be applied over paint and looks good. Works well with fish and ammonites. It is true about knowing the real colours of a dinosaur and taking away the fun. However I'm not sure if Microraptor was black all over. Did they look at feathers from all over the body and wings?  I don't know. Well, anyway good first repaint. ;D

Weaver

@TyrantQueen: I'm kinda with you on that but at the same time it's kinda fun to play with the known color in different patterns. Aww man, thank you so much TyrantQueen! I'm really thrilled by how much fun this is.

@Paleoferroequine: AAAH. It's not nearly as cool as yours! I am not worthy of you looking at this! Oh man, after you did yours I just kept looking at my little orangey-riot Micro with disappointment. I think I'll see if the hobby shop has the purple-green which should be the proper-color for the tail-sparkles. Thank you so much Paleoferroequine for the comment and I'm so excited to do another repaint and maybe someday learn to re-sculpt them into more amazing poses. You are totally an inspiration. :D

paleoferroequine

One more thing, that Tamiya paint should be applied over black to look the best, but different effects will show up with lighter colours.

tyrantqueen

Is there a particular reason why people choose Tamiya and Humbrol type paints over normal artist acrylic? Are there any advantages to model paints?

I used some Humbrol and Vallejo paints once, but I hated them :-\

Tylosaurus

Well during my Aircraft modeling days I used Humbrol because it covered in a single go repaints were not needed and the paint it's self during the drying process always got rid of striping which can be cause by some rougher made paint brushes, the paint layer would end up as a smooth painted result.

Weaver

Eh, I just use my plain old Golden and Liquitex acrylics. They kept a lot of detail so... oh well. It would be nice if someone made a thread for various tutorials and matierials discussion on the Customised Figure board.

@Paleoferroequine: Ooo. I wonder what it would like like on a lighter color. Thank you for the advice. It's greatly appreciated Oh gosh, I need to go buy more dinos to paint!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Weaver on March 29, 2012, 11:36:15 PM
Eh, I just use my plain old Golden and Liquitex acrylics. They kept a lot of detail so... oh well. It would be nice if someone made a thread for various tutorials and matierials discussion on the Customised Figure board.

@Paleoferroequine: Ooo. I wonder what it would like like on a lighter color. Thank you for the advice. It's greatly appreciated Oh gosh, I need to go buy more dinos to paint!
I second that idea. Funnily enough, I use Liquitex and Golden too! Although I do not have many Goldens because they are super, scary expensive. I have a set of 36 Liquitex basics.
Oh, and I have a set of Pēbēo acrylics which do the job well enough.

Bokisaurus

I like it, looks really nice.

Weaver

@Bokisaurus: Gosh, thank you! I'm so excited by this new facet of collecting dino toys and replicas... Man, I want to repaint all the feathered models from all the companies now. I guess I'll end up with a little hoard of feathered monsters someday. XD

@TyrantQueen: Ugh, I try to use my Golden set very sparingly because of the expense but when you have a color that you need and cannot mix correctly like, Phtalo Blue, then they're perfect for that. <3

You all are too kind to me for my first foray into this and I cannot tell you how much it is appreciated. Thank you so much!

Takama

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: paleoferroequine on March 29, 2012, 06:34:23 PM
Looks good.  I really like the black, white, blue scheme. BTW, in addition to Pearl-Ex, Tamiya Models make a spray paint- Iridescent purple/green(PS-46) and Iridescent pink/gold(PS-47) which can be applied over paint and looks good. Works well with fish and ammonites. It is true about knowing the real colours of a dinosaur and taking away the fun. However I'm not sure if Microraptor was black all over. Did they look at feathers from all over the body and wings?  I don't know. Well, anyway good first repaint. ;D

I heard from someone who works at the AMNH that the microraptor they determined was iridescent black was originally classified as a different species that was later lumped.  (This could also be why the specimen with the known colors seems to have a bigger head and the other older specimen of microraptor has a smaller one that was confusing a few people for a while).  That being said if it is indeed a different species of microraptor maybe there is one out there that isn't completely that color or a totally different color?  I'll have to talk to him again see if i can get more details. 

Weaver

Gosh, I never even saw your post Gryph. Man, more details is always helpful! Ehehe, I have a pair of Black-Billed Magpies living near my home and ever since hearing the verdict on the predominant color I kept watching these birds stalk about my yard like little dinosaurs. XD

ZoPteryx

Magpies are one of my favorite birds, and your prehistoric magpie is even cooler! :))

Weaver

@Zoptyrex: Oh gosh, thank you! Better pics will come. I just need a good day, not snowing!, to take em. XD

Alright, new project. On a whim I decided to see how the 'hot-water' method works for unbending/straightening tails. My little Carnegie Amargasaurus was the victim of this and his tail, while not completely straight, is now sort of gently undulating. Since I've done that I figure I'll try another repaint.

I'm leaning towards a rich red-orange-brown with stripes on the neck and fading reminiscent of a Quagga, Okapi or even a young Brazilian (or Bairds') Tapir. What do you all think?

Weaver

Here is a tiny tiny wip of the basic colors for my stripy Amargasaurus. Now, I have no issue with the other colors... just that it was green. This is just the current pattern of base colors and the orangey-brown is really pretty in proper light cause it almost looks coppery. And the legs are not black, dark seal-brown. There will be stripes down his/her neck. I kind of like Greg Pauls 'clattering spines' idea. I can picture a bull Amarga bellowing and shaking back-n-forth to make those spines rattle in a forest or grassland in South America.

What do you think so far eh? Way different from doing the Microraptor. This is a lot harder. XD

Also, suddenly: Tail mustache!

Himmapaan

Go take a picture in good light at the soonest available opportunity, Miss Liz! We want to see this!

Weaver

XD I wish! It's been terrible for pictures. Gloomy and overcast and my real camera is not working right. Hopefully tomorrow is a good day, if it isn't.... the weatherman is to blame. ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: