News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lovely lovely pliosaurs

Started by DinoToyForum, March 30, 2012, 12:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Alligator gar are harmless to people, and they are also relatively harmless environmentally (that is, compared to essentially any other fish :P ). They only eat small fish despite their size, and reports of them attacking humans remain unsubstantiated and most likely misidentification. They also breed and age very slowly meaning its nigh impossible for them to establish an invasive population.

I've swum near lamprey, they aren't so bad really. They tend to avoid people unless you're struggling or thrashing about in the water, that's why long distance swimmers are the most common victims, they get fatigued and that attracts the lampreys. Even if attacking they aren't especially dangerous, painful yes, terrifying sure, but unless someone drops you into a tank of severely starved lamprey Bond villain style they aren't going to do any serious injury ;)

SBell

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 27, 2015, 03:30:14 PM
Alligator gar are harmless to people, and they are also relatively harmless environmentally (that is, compared to essentially any other fish :P ). They only eat small fish despite their size, and reports of them attacking humans remain unsubstantiated and most likely misidentification. They also breed and age very slowly meaning its nigh impossible for them to establish an invasive population.

I've swum near lamprey, they aren't so bad really. They tend to avoid people unless you're struggling or thrashing about in the water, that's why long distance swimmers are the most common victims, they get fatigued and that attracts the lampreys. Even if attacking they aren't especially dangerous, painful yes, terrifying sure, but unless someone drops you into a tank of severely starved lamprey Bond villain style they aren't going to do any serious injury ;)

Did you see the River Monsters episode? All it took was for him to hold one near. But they may be different in an area where they have invaded to an extreme degree.

Arul

Maybe its harmless for people but big dark body with large jaw full of vicious teeth :o nobody want to meet them when we doing an activity near the river...

stargatedalek

I've seen every River Monsters episode, can't get enough of that series ;D . It might also be different if they are in a prey rich area, or perhaps if you respond to them it triggers a response.

Daspletodave

The Schleich Kronosaurus and WWD Liopleurodon are the best pliosaurs ever made!

DinoToyForum

The Invicata Liopleurodon is still the very best, in my opinion. So many pliosaur toys feel cartoony, including (especially!) the Schleich Kronosaurus.

SBell

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 28, 2015, 04:17:14 PM
The Invicata Liopleurodon is still the very best, in my opinion. So many pliosaur toys feel cartoony, including (especially!) the Schleich Kronosaurus.

I personally like the CollectA Rhomalaeosaurus. And yeah, I only have the Schleich because I bought it when it came out. It's not well done compared to some of their other marine reptiles.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: SBell on February 28, 2015, 04:43:34 PM

I personally like the CollectA Rhomalaeosaurus. And yeah, I only have the Schleich because I bought it when it came out. It's not well done compared to some of their other marine reptiles.

The CollectA Rhomaleosaurus is a bit 'off' too - it has that cartoony vibe as well. The bases of the limbs are weird, the skull has issues, and the eyes are... basically, I should review it.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 28, 2015, 04:49:06 PM

The CollectA Rhomaleosaurus is a bit 'off' too - it has that cartoony vibe as well. The bases of the limbs are weird, the skull has issues, and the eyes are... basically, I should review it.
I thought you already did: http://dinotoyblog.com/2011/03/22/rhomaleosaurus-collecta/ :o

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 28, 2015, 05:26:02 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 28, 2015, 04:49:06 PM

I thought you already did: http://dinotoyblog.com/2011/03/22/rhomaleosaurus-collecta/ :o

So I did! My memory is that bad! :-\

stargatedalek

I agree, even though I don't own one that the Invicta liopleurodon is still the best for that genus, and definitely ranks amongst the best of pliosaurs as a whole. Aside from Kaiyodo (who arguably are not toys) only the most recent offerings dare to stand alongside it, really goes to show just how ahead Invicta were at the time!

Bokisaurus

CollectA's mighty Pliosaur and friends ^-^
[]

Libraraptor

Inspired by Boki, I decided to post my Pliosaur collection. So did I with the other two main aquatic "reptile" groups, the Ichtyosaurs and the Plesiosaurs, warming up a very very old thread.

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

BlueKrono

Kronosaur collection (minus the Marx/knock-offs - I include those with my long-necked plesiosaurs for appearances sake):

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

BlueKrono

Random Pliosaurs/ other short-necked swimmers:

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: BlueKrono on October 04, 2016, 05:50:09 AM
My Liopleurodon collection:

What is that gigantic grey beast at top right?

BlueKrono

Wish I could tell you the company, but I don't know it. It was an eBay find years ago. It is actually labeled as a Liopleurodon, and I have another from the same company that's labeled as a Hydrotherosaurus, a relatively rarely represented genus. Both are quite derpy-looking with highly inaccurate anatomy. They were relatively cheap despite their size, and are made of a latexy covering over cotton stuffing like those Halloween decorations you used to see. One distinguishing feature is that they were Made in Sri Lanka.

BlueKrono

Posting this here since Kronosaurs were technically pliosaurs. Wish my lighting was better to show off the fantastic array of colors... Here we have Marx (top row), and the derivative MPC and Winneco (middle and bottom rows, respectively).

Lanthanotus

Woah, Kronosaurus rainbowensis!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: