News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Amphibians

Started by stemturtle, April 01, 2012, 01:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stemturtle

PREHISTORIC AMPHBIANS 
My collecting style focuses on specific groups of animals.  Threads on taxa fit better here in the Toys section than in Collections. 

"00 Amphibians" was posted in the first version of the Dinosaur Toy Forum, celebrating the beautiful sculptures by artist Razh00.  Please refer to that (link =) article for information about these figures.  At that time the photo resize bar had not yet been installed. Manufacturers are listed in parentheses after each genus, where 00 = Razh00 and PV = Play Visions. COG Ltd makes Prehistoric Panorama.

DEVONIAN

Eusthenopteron (Kaiyodo), Tiktaalik (00), Acanthostega (Kaiyodo, Yujin) , Ichthyostega (COG Ltd, Starlux)

CARBONIFEROUS

Coal swamp, Crassigyrinus (00, PV), Diadectes (00)

Eryops (Diener, Kaiyodo, Panosh, PV), Limnoscelis (00), Ophiderpeton(00), Pholiderpeton (= Eogyrinus) (PV)

PERMIAN

Cacops = Labyrinthodont (Starlux), Diplocaulus (Kaiyodo, PV, COG Ltd, Starlux)

Gerobatrachus (00), Pantylus (00), Peltobatrachus (PV), Platyhystrix (PV), Prionosuchus (00), Seymouria (00, TimMee)

TRIASSIC

Deltasaurus (Yowie), Gerrothorax (PV), Mastodonsaurus (Bullyland, Starlux), Metoposaurus (00), Promastodonsaurus (Dawn of the Dinosaurs), Triadobatrachus (PV)

JURASSIC & CRETACEOUS

Eocaecilia (00), Karaurus (00, 00), Siderops (Yowie), & Koolasuchus (00)

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

Himmapaan

These are so beautifully photographed -- and of the ones you painted, beautifully painted, too.

Tylosaurus

They are very well painted stemturntle!  Very nice pics too mate 8)

ZoPteryx

Very cool collection of amphibians!

Bokisaurus

Wonderful Collection you have there! The assemblage is impressive, did not know there were that many. ;)

mnemosaurus

What a beautiful collection of prehistoric amphibians you have!

Your handpainted rahz00 pieces are just gorgeous... it's such a colourful group together!

Tylosaurus

The green Diplocaulus and the Platyhystrix are my favs, they are really nice man! 8)

Roselaar

Looks pretty good there! Eogyrinus has changed its name then?

stemturtle

Himmapaan, Tylosaurus, Zopteryx, Bokisaurus, mnemosaurus, and Roselaar, thank you all for the nice comments. Credit to Mrs. stemturtle for her expertise with Photoshop.

Roselaar, you aked if Eogyrinus has changed its name.  No, Eogyrinus (Watson 1926) and Pholiderpeton (Huxley 1869) may be the same animal.  Then Pholiderpeton would take priority.  We will see what Jenny Clark has to say in the second edition of "Gaining Ground," due for release at the end of April. "00 Amphibians" showed the names as synonyms.  "Prehistoric Amphibians" was abbreviated.  I have modified the post to list Eogyrinus. Sorry for this confusion. Thanks for pointing this out.

EDIT: Amazon has changed the release date for Gaining Ground, 2nd Ed. to June 5, 2012.  Meanwhile, see Clack, J.A. 1987, "Pholiderpeton scutigerum Huxley, an Amphibian from the Yorkshire Coal Measure." Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B. http://rstb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/318/1188/1.abstract. Of course, use by scientists determines which name becomes established.

CORRECTION: Eogyrinus is a junior synonym (invalid) for Pholiderpeton.  25 years after Clack's publication (see above), the name Eogyrinus persists in the literature.
Tetrapod Zoology gave Pholiderpeton currency, saying "then known as Eogyrinus."  I emailed Jenny Clack, who was gracious enough to reply: "Pholiderpeton is the valid generic name for these animals.  However, it often takes a while for the rest of the world to catch up."
I have modified the label to read Pholiderpeton (= Eogyrinus).

brontodocus

Lovely collection, stemturtle! 8) There are also a few I don't know which manufacturer made them (e.g. the Cacops), could you also add the companies that made them in the captions? :)
Oh, and your razh00 models turned out wonderful. :) I've seen some of your repaints on the old boards but I think I haven't seen your painted Gerobatrachus, yet, which is especially nice! I'm a little ashamed now, because I have several of the razh00 amphibians, too, but haven't finished painting one of them, yet. :-[

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

mnemosaurus

The Cacops is Starlux ^-^, but I agree, would be nice to have the company names in the captions.

brontodocus

Quote from: mnemosaurus on April 01, 2012, 08:01:32 PM
The Cacops is Starlux ^-^ , but I agree, would be nice to have the company names in the captions.
Ah, thanks mnemosaurus, it looked like Starlux to me but I wasn't sure they also made a Cacops! :) Sigh, I simply know too little about Starlux...

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

SBell

Now you just need to get the Primaeval Eryops and Diplocaulus (metal figures). Those ones stand out as missing. I can't help but feeling that there are some others as well (the small Diener Eryops for sure) but I can't put my finger on which.

And I curse continually that Shapeways has rejected my Eocaecillia twice now.  I need Razh00 to do up a few more to make it worth my while to use my credit. Like maybe reinstate the Diadectes!

Primeval12

Where can I get  that Koolosuchus

brontodocus

postsaurischian

Very beautiful collection & nicely displayed and photographed, stemturtle. I always liked your style :).

I still have to get me that Bully Mastodonsaurus one day >:(!

Quote from: SBell on April 01, 2012, 08:22:58 PM
I curse continually that Shapeways has rejected my Eocaecillia twice now.  I need Razh00 to do up a few more to make it worth my while to use my credit. Like maybe reinstate the Diadectes!

Have you tried to order it in different materials? I made the experience that some models could be printed in 'Black Detail' but not in 'White, Strong & Flexible' and vice versa, although both materials were being offered.

stemturtle

Quote from: brontodocus on April 01, 2012, 07:29:24 PM
Lovely collection, stemturtle! 8) There are also a few I don't know which manufacturer made them (e.g. the Cacops), could you also add the companies that made them in the captions? :)
Oh, and your razh00 models turned out wonderful. :) I've seen some of your repaints on the old boards but I think I haven't seen your painted Gerobatrachus, yet, which is especially nice! I'm a little ashamed now, because I have several of the razh00 amphibians, too, but haven't finished painting one of them, yet. :-[

Brontodocus, thank you for your kind remarks. I added the makers as you requested. That was a good suggestion.

Also see the fourth sentence of this article, which is "Please refer to that article for information about the figures," where the word article is a hyperlink to "00 Amphibians."  The link is blue, but is hard to see. 

EDIT: I have modified the text adding the word link: (link =) article

stemturtle

Quote from: SBell on April 01, 2012, 08:22:58 PM
Now you just need to get the Primaeval Eryops and Diplocaulus (metal figures). Those ones stand out as missing. I can't help but feeling that there are some others as well (the small Diener Eryops for sure) but I can't put my finger on which.

And I curse continually that Shapeways has rejected my Eocaecillia twice now.  I need Razh00 to do up a few more to make it worth my while to use my credit. Like maybe reinstate the Diadectes!

SBell, how about posting photos to this thread of the Primaeval Eryops and Diplocaulus? 

About the Eocaecilia, if razh00 would offer it in a larger size that might get around the thickness constraints.  The volume of material is not a big cost consideration.  And I agree that more new figures would be most welcome.

SBell

I don't have photos of my Primeval figures handy, but I do have one of this Ral Partha amphibian. I refer to it as Koskinodon, although it is just called "Fire Breathing Salamander" by the RPG company.

[attachment msg=3967][/attachment]

stemturtle

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 01, 2012, 08:40:57 PM
Very beautiful collection & nicely displayed and photographed, stemturtle. I always liked your style :).

I still have to get me that Bully Mastodonsaurus one day >:(!

Postsaurichian, thanks for such nice praise.  I hope you find a Bully Mastodonsaurus soon. Here is a coincidence.  I was discharged from the U.S. Army in Karlsruhe in 1971. My wife and I spent a month touring the Alps before returning to the States. Viel Spass.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: