You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Cretaceous Creations life size Psittacosaurus update!!!

Started by caspakian, March 01, 2014, 06:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Shane - for the record, this sculpt is freaking awesome.  And y'all know how picky I am when accuracy is concerned ... 

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Simon on March 10, 2014, 01:30:02 AM
Amargasaurus:  Please separate your paragraphs in the above post.  As it is now its simply too much of a pain to read.
My apologies Simon, I missed your new admin status, I will get that done as soon as possible.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 10, 2014, 01:50:41 AM
Quote from: Simon on March 10, 2014, 01:30:02 AM
Amargasaurus:  Please separate your paragraphs in the above post.  As it is now its simply too much of a pain to read.
My apologies Simon, I missed your new admin status, I will get that done as soon as possible.Incidentally Simon in the same regard could we perhaps use actual words instead of terms like freakin, and Y'all? Also using proper punctation or full sentences would be useful to some degree rather than hyphens and trailing dots, please. Much obligated Sir and thanks again.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Guys, come on. No picking at each other over little things like this..it always turns into big things.  Just let it slide please.

amargasaurus cazaui

Apologies Blade, I was honestly trying to stick to the psittacosaurus discussion as something I am deeply interested in, prior to the personnal attack that was made . I think despite all the comments back and forth, when it comes right down to it, I am one of the few here who will actually dig in my wallet and purchase this model and I feel that makes my opinions valid.

Paleogene Pals

I have to say this discussion is bordering on getting really ugly...over a pair of hands!  Shane did a remarkable job as always. Just Keep Calm and Post On!

Paleogene Pals

Newt

What a beautiful sculpture!

Mr. Foulkes- Will you be at Wonderfest this year?  And if so, are you going to bring this guy?  I'd love to see it in person, but I can't afford it now.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: wings on March 10, 2014, 10:17:12 AM
Quote from: Simon on March 10, 2014, 05:39:37 AM
My comment about some people being naturally "contrarian" referred to WINGS (remember that he was the one who attacked Shane's work).  I would think that it would have been obvious.
I'm merely pointing out the findings on these papers, I don't see how that is being naturally "contarian". If there are other studies that indicate otherwise (other possibilities) I'm happy to discuss them. It's not like I just made up these studies out of thin air. How is it attacking? And as for the "nastiness" and if you do go through the comments; I've almost always tried to kept to the same tone as the person responding to them. I don't think I get "nasty" before the other person does. If you go through the sequence of comment and find that I've gotten "nasty" before Shane changed his tone (and pulling ranks, I just don't see the logic in this if there is a valid reason for the claim) then please let me know and I'm happy to modify it.

I think you've both made your points. Let's just drop it okay ? Discussion is one thing but taking sides is going to lead to bashing and we won't have that here.  I see it already developing.  Just leave this as a place to discuss this model or we'll have to lock it. 

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on March 10, 2014, 12:50:41 PM
Shane,

Any chance of a 1/20-scale Psittacosaurus?
A psittacosaurus in 1/20 would be pretty tiny...probably Dinotales sized.

amargasaurus cazaui

This particular species according to the paper published on it was 37 inches long, so a 1/20 scale of that would come out to something like two inches give or take. Any of the larger species that grew to six feet would then be give or take about three and half inches long, so you are right about on target TQ,

s.foulkes

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on March 10, 2014, 12:50:41 PM
Shane,

Any chance of a 1/20-scale Psittacosaurus?

No sorry , again this is a commission that he is allowing me to sell .
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

s.foulkes

Please remember this sculpt was a commission that a customer PAID for so its his. all rights to it belongs to him. he has been nice enough to let me post this and help him sell castings and make it available for the public. I spent 1000$ for the mold work to make this happen. im selling several castings right out of the gate to help me recover the cost for the production of it. thanks to those who helped make this possible . I will get a percentage of each sale  for doing all the sales and shipping ,packaging  and order taking. Yes this will be at WF for sale and yes a Build up of it will be there.
Bringing back the world of Dinosaurs one sculpt at a time!

tyrantqueen

Okay, I've read the back and forth regarding the forearm position. But I'm still confused. From what I gather, both of you guys (wings and Shane Foulkes) are essentially saying the same thing (that Psittacosaurus could probably have pronated its hands when moving about on all fours) but disagree on the actual anatomical process behind it, right?

I'm not trying to stir up another argument, I'm sorry I started this argument in the first place :( I'm not interested in falling out with anyone, I admire both of you guys (wings and Shane Foulkes) for your knowledge in your respective areas. I just want clarification on this issue: If I was to draw or sculpt a psittacosaurus, would I be correct in giving it pronated palms or not?

amargasaurus cazaui

There are three schools currently of thinking here. The most  common says the dinosaur shoud have neutral or semi supinated hands. This means walking on all fours the hands would angle outward, making the fingers orient pointing outward instead of inward. This is a position supported by many papers and specimens, and most current thinking suggests this is normal in basal ceratopsians.

Another school of thought is the dinosaur's front limb posture would mature and alter as it grew. In its younger stages it would appear more pronated and become more neutral as the bones developed and the limbs grew. There is some suggestive evidence in the fossil record to give this some support, and it does seem to fit many specimens. A mature specimen would then likely have almost neutral hands.

The other school, and one which wings also mentioned is that some psittacosaurus seem to have arm bones that are twisted or bent in such a way they appear to be naturally pronated . There are some specimens that exist demonstrating this trait as well.
  There is just not enough evidence to prove or suggest which is correct yet, and many specimens today are still mounted as pronated . My own feeling seeing the dinosaur skeleton both ways is the neutral pose seems more natural, and looks like it would be more useful however that is just based on asthetics. Really the debate is open and not settled. The one thing that seems proven time and again is the front limbs tend to sprawl outward a bit on mature and juvenile specimens however.

tyrantqueen

Okay, I understand. Thanks for clearing that up.

Newt

Now somebody just needs to find some definite psittacosaur tracks and clear everything up (or muddy it more).  I'm gonna go ahead and posit that they moved like giant springtails.  The tail quills just put a little extra bounce in their pounce.  You heard it here first! :P

tyrantqueen

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've known about this girl since last year,  it's so awesome !  Very kindly Shane had offered me one to replace my Anatotitan that was stolen, just can't wait to get one. If I can swing it I'll have Shane build/paint it so  I know I'll actually get it. :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: