News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

American English

Started by Horridus, April 03, 2012, 08:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Tyrantqueen:

War is indeed hell, and no one who has actually been in one wishes to repeat the experience. 

However, there is no higher form of heroism than the willingness to lay down one's life so that another could live.  Outside of the global implication of this statement, ie defending one's homeland, there are the everyday examples of men diving on hand grenades to save their buddies at the cost of their own lives;  for an example on a larger scale, the captain of a Japanese destroyer in WW2 deliberately steered his ship into the path of 3 American torpedoes that were heading for his aircraft carrier - no one survived on the destroyer, but the carrier was (temporarily) saved.

If those few examples are not acts of heroism then the word is devoid of meaning.

On the subject of America's entry into WW2, it is true that American public opinion was against entry into the war, but FDR was desperate to get into the war in order to defeat Hitler.  To that end he "loaned" several hundred US-built destroyers in the UK.  The pretext for entry was Japan's bombing of Pearl harbor (though to be honest about it, the US blockade of oil and steel imposed on Japan in 1940 if memory serves was basically an act of war in itself).

Once the US entered the war, the Pacific was made a secondary theater of operations as FDR recognized Nazi Germany as the main threat to the West....

"To prepare for war is the only effectual means of maintaining the peace" - Theodore Roosevelt (who was quoting George Washington, who was quoting an old Roman maxim)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Simon on April 05, 2012, 06:43:45 AM
Tyrantqueen:

War is indeed hell, and no one who has actually been in one wishes to repeat the experience. 

However, there is no higher form of heroism than the willingness to lay down one's life so that another could live.  Outside of the global implication of this statement, ie defending one's homeland, there are the everyday examples of men diving on hand grenades to save their buddies at the cost of their own lives;  for an example on a larger scale, the captain of a Japanese destroyer in WW2 deliberately steered his ship into the path of 3 American torpedoes that were heading for his aircraft carrier - no one survived on the destroyer, but the carrier was (temporarily) saved.

If those few examples are not acts of heroism then the word is devoid of meaning.

On the subject of America's entry into WW2, it is true that American public opinion was against entry into the war, but FDR was desperate to get into the war in order to defeat Hitler.  To that end he "loaned" several hundred US-built destroyers in the UK.  The pretext for entry was Japan's bombing of Pearl harbor (though to be honest about it, the US blockade of oil and steel imposed on Japan in 1940 if memory serves was basically an act of war in itself).

Once the US entered the war, the Pacific was made a secondary theater of operations as FDR recognized Nazi Germany as the main threat to the West....

"To prepare for war is the only effectual means of maintaining the peace" - Theodore Roosevelt (who was quoting George Washington, who was quoting an old Roman maxim)

You make some good points. I do appreciate that every country has made sacrifices during the war. No country is perfect, they've all done bad things in the past, Britain, America and every country  :)
I don't hate America or Americans. I think hating an entire country of people because of what a bunch of people did in the past is stupid.

Can we stop talking about the war now? My dad already goes on about it enough in real life as it is :P

QuoteTheodore Roosevelt (who was quoting George Washington, who was quoting an old Roman maxim)
BTW, speaking of George Washington....I live very very near to Sulgrave Manor, the place where Georgie's ancestors came from  8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulgrave_Manor#Sulgrave_Manor

Himmapaan

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 05, 2012, 01:34:21 AM
BTW, Himmapaan, is English your mother tongue?
I've only just seen this. :D English is my second language.  :) Third if you count the Muang 'dialect' of northern Thailand too. I use quotation marks for 'dialect' in this case because it is easy to refer to it as such, but its roots are older and would really be recognised as a separate language.

Dyscrasia

American English is actually my first language and I'm no good at it.....

Sumo

Well, um, this thread started out weird and got weirder. What exactly is supposed to be the issue here?
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

Himmapaan

Quote from: Sumo on April 05, 2012, 03:01:17 PM
Well, um, this thread started out weird and got weirder. What exactly is supposed to be the issue here?
I think we would do best not to enquire...  :-\

There was no issue to begin with, just some humorous ramblings on linguistic vagaries. Heaven knows what happened later on.  ::)

Simon

I think its kind of like a stream of consciousness or maybe Tourettes thread ...  ^-^

tyrantqueen

Well it started out as Horridus making a joke about Americans using the word pants instead of trousers...and it kind of spiralled out of control...

Syndicate Bias

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stolpergeist on November 10, 2020, 02:37:42 AM
I feel like she would hate me so I guess I joined the forum at the right time.
I recall her claiming I was an Isis member once. As genuinely humorous as that was, and as much as I definitely fell for the baiting and made things worse, it is a relief how much this place has improved in the past few years.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 10, 2020, 03:00:28 AM
Quote from: Stolpergeist on November 10, 2020, 02:37:42 AM
I feel like she would hate me so I guess I joined the forum at the right time.
I recall her claiming I was an Isis member once. As genuinely humorous as that was, and as much as I definitely fell for the baiting and made things worse, it is a relief how much this place has improved in the past few years.

I'm still here

Syndicate Bias

I don't remember her being like that when I was around lol. I thought the main user that was problematic back then was Simon.

Now all that remains is me  :P

Stegotyranno420

Im betting you that she would had called me something crazy like Dr Zaius or Stalin just because i got in a small hypothethical scuffle with her.  And now that i made this comment, its just gonna increase my chances.

Btw, shouldn't this be in a PM sction?

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on November 10, 2020, 03:13:32 AM
I don't remember her being like that when I was around lol. I thought the main user that was problematic back then was Simon.

Now all that remains is me  :P
Ngl Simon seems really cool and nice

Syndicate Bias

Different Simon and no avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno
You weren't around

Also on a lighter note people change and I'm willing to put the past behind avatar_tyrantqueen @tyrantqueen it has been some time ever since and as far as I am concerned I never saw her do these sort of things during her last days here. I hope some of these members come back I'm sure things will be different.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on November 10, 2020, 03:23:22 AM
You weren't around
No i mean if i was around at the time

also im talking about Simon who makes the dinosaur customs like the carnegie headed bullyand giga

Newt

I don't understand this topic. English is for Angles, we Americans speak Americanese. After all, "a language is a dialect with a navy", and we have the world's most expensive navy, so we totally deserve, like, our own language, you know?

On the subject of missing members, has anyone heard from Jetoar lately?

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Stegotyranno on November 10, 2020, 03:30:44 AM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on November 10, 2020, 03:23:22 AM
You weren't around
No i mean if i was around at the time

also im talking about Simon who makes the dinosaur customs like the carnegie headed bullyand giga

You entered the conversation without understanding that I was referring to a different Simon which avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek would know of besides myself included.

Yea you meant a different Simon but the point still stands. Anywho the other Simon you included is a really cool user. I haven't seen his customs so I'll peek around his threads.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Newt on November 10, 2020, 03:33:40 AM
I don't understand this topic. English is for Angles, we Americans speak Americanese. After all, "a language is a dialect with a navy", and we have the world's most expensive navy, so we totally deserve, like, our own language, you know?

On the subject of missing members, has anyone heard from Jetoar lately?

He has a discord he uses now

And I don't think so, English is English.

Americans, Scottish and Australians and plenty of other nationalities speak the same language just different accents and some words may be used differently it's just that. The same goes with all of Latino America and Spain with spanish as a whole.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: