News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

American English

Started by Horridus, April 03, 2012, 08:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horridus

Quote from: Tylosaurus on April 03, 2012, 08:08:07 PM
Sorry that my posts are sometimes somewhat unclear, I never was a star at explaining things.
Given that English isn't your mother tongue, I think you get a pass.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Tylosaurus

Quote from: Horridus on April 03, 2012, 08:57:12 PM
Sorry that my posts are sometimes somewhat unclear, I never was a star at explaining things.
Well that isn't totally it I grew up in Australia fron age 03 to age 14, after that I have been living in The Netherlands for over 21 years, so my English seems to be fine, afaik People from the UK like Australia understand me fine it's that people from USA seem to have issues with my English, all I can say is that I can't fix that for them heh.

I even talk with an Australian accent, my English is fine most of my friends are outside The Netherlands and are English based.

Horridus

Quote from: Tylosaurus on April 03, 2012, 09:14:53 PM
Quote from: Horridus on April 03, 2012, 08:57:12 PM
Well that isn't totally it I grew up in Australia fron age 03 to age 14, after that I have been living in The Netherlands for over 21 years
Ah OK, no pass for you then. :P

Don't worry about those pesky Americans. They call trousers 'pants', and that's all kinds of wrong.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

tyrantqueen

QuoteDon't worry about those pesky Americans. They call trousers 'pants', and that's all kinds of wrong.
What's worse than that is what they call someone's behind.... ;) it is very rude in the UK :x

Tylosaurus

Yeah thanks Horridus and Tyrantqueen , I just can get confused to their way of expressing things it's not to offend them but yeah we are all different it seems and sometimes even that can get in the way at times even if you don't plan it.
I am glad that this place is surely a good place with lots of smart friendly people here, yet I have to conclude that this is very rare these days when it comes to Internet communities 8)

Please do see this as a compliment ;) 8)

Anyhoo back to topic, sorry for that Copper, but yes your arts are by far very unique, which is hard to find in art these days 8)

stoneage

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 03, 2012, 10:56:52 PM
QuoteDon't worry about those pesky Americans. They call trousers 'pants', and that's all kinds of wrong.
What's worse than that is what they call someone's behind.... ;) it is very rude in the UK :x

What's wrong with the word rear?  So now you all want to do is start in on an anti-american theme!  And to think we saved you from the Germans.  This is the thanks we get.   :(

Tylosaurus

Quote from: stoneage on April 04, 2012, 02:49:00 AM

What's wrong with the word rear?  So now you all want to do is start in on an anti-american theme!  And to think we saved you from the Germans.  This is the thanks we get.   :(
It's not Anti-American Stonage and the British, Irish, Scottish, Dutch, French, Russians, Scandinavian, Australian & Canadians also saved us during the war, it was not only the American soldiers, even so I respect every soldier that fought against the Third Reich and the Japs for that case.
The allies were one team they had to be. D-Day was a good start and they had a good coincidence that that attack packed out very well.

It's that this place like many other communities have multi-lingual members and sometimes it's hard to understand what someone means, even I have difficulties with this, it has nothing to do with our English like Tyrantqueen's English, it's just some dialects can come over very awkwardly or in the wrong way for another ;) And that is where some can trip themselves into as I have done frequently.

But hay, no offense there mate, it's all cool ya know, we all have our way of saying or say expressing things and that can sometimes get a bit clogged up, nothing bad about it 8)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stoneage on April 04, 2012, 02:49:00 AM

Calm down :o It's not the word "rear". it's the F word (I won't say it here)
Look here if it bothers you so much http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/articles/pages/678/Fanny.html

Don't be so sensitive! None of us hate Americans or any nationality. America is a great country and has contributed many good things to the world (and that's coming from a non-American).
It's not Anti-American Stonage and the British, Irish, Scottish, Dutch, French, Russians, Scandinavian, Australian & Canadians also saved us during the war, it was not only the American soldiers, even so I respect every soldier that fought against the Third Reich and the Japs for that case.
I agree with you, but you forgot that the Scottish and Northern Irish are British XD

To Copper, I apologise for spamming up your thread with off topic things.

Simon

*AHEM* !!!!

FOR OUR BRITISH FRIENDS:  A LESSON IN PROPER ENGLISH

THIS IS A BUM:

ANY QUESTIONS?

[RUNS FOR COVER]

Horridus

What the hell...? Why did this become a separate topic? I was only kidding!
@Mhorridus

CityRaptor

Well, here in Germany, they teach the Queen's English in school! Yet, I did not learn that his name:

is a swearword until he was renamed Snarl...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Patrx

I thought it was only a curse for Cybertronians, as per Transformers Animated? Hence the rename for that series.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

It could be worse--we've all seen the spelling errors--color, favor, flavor.  They just look so truncated and sad like that.

Gwangi

Quote from: Tylosaurus on April 04, 2012, 03:05:44 AMBritish, Irish, Scottish, Dutch, French, Russians, Scandinavian, Australian & Canadians also saved us during the war

You sure you're not leaving anyone out there?

So if pants are called trousers in the UK than what do you call pants?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on April 04, 2012, 11:43:40 PM
Quote from: Tylosaurus on April 04, 2012, 03:05:44 AMBritish, Irish, Scottish, Dutch, French, Russians, Scandinavian, Australian & Canadians also saved us during the war

You sure you're not leaving anyone out there?

So if pants are called trousers in the UK than what do you call pants?

Okay...this is kinda making my brain hurt  :o
Men's undergarments are called underpants, but we usually just call them pants. That's why a lot of British people are confused (and amused) when Americans say things like "he was caught with his pants down"

To an American it is someone who is caught with his trousers down, but for a Brit it's even more hilarious because it's like the guy isn't wearing any underwear. Do you get it?

With women what you would call "panties" are knickers.
It also varies to depends on what kind of underwear you're wearing I guess  :P

I can't believe we're talking about this

Gwangi

If in the UK undergarments are called underpants than that implies you wear pants over top of them...so calling trousers pants makes perfect sense. Actually, if you're going to call pants trousers than shouldn't your undergarments be called undertrousers? 

Takama

While i was in london, i noticed that you Brits call a Bathroom the Toilet.

SBell

Quote from: Takama on April 04, 2012, 11:56:27 PM
While i was in london, i noticed that you brits call a Bathroom the Toilet.

They stopped using water closet?  ;D

And let's just agree that sometimes everyone is wrong. I can't imagine how many times I've had to explain that it's not a couch, or a sofa, it's a chesterfield.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on April 04, 2012, 11:53:57 PM
If in the UK undergarments are called underpants than that implies you wear pants over top of them...so calling trousers pants makes perfect sense. Actually, if you're going to call pants trousers than shouldn't your undergarments be called undertrousers?

Well like I said...we usually just say pants...underpants is more of a formal term.
I don't think any people wear trousers under their trousers for underwear...maybe undershorts?

*brain explodes*

QuoteWhile i was in london, i noticed that you Brits call a Bathroom the Toilet.
Why is that weird? If that's what you're going to do when you use the bathroom, then at least you're being honest XD
Some even people even say loo or bog. And loo roll and bog roll. Why do Americans call toilets washrooms?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: