News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Forum changes

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 02:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 28, 2018, 10:04:33 PM
Not sure what is the problem with the image resizer. On my screen there is a coloured bar and for the images in your thread it says "...original 1066x800". It looks fine to me. Could you refresh your browser and see if the problem persists. If so, could you possibly take a screenshot for me?

Argh! Then the problem is on my side. I might have to refresh my browser, but I'm afraid I don't know how to do it.
I'll ask someone for help. Thanks anyway!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on July 28, 2018, 10:12:58 PM
Not sure what is the problem with the image resizer. On my screen there is a coloured bar and for the images in your thread it says "...original 1066x800". It looks fine to me. Could you refresh your browser and see if the problem persists. If so, could you possibly take a screenshot for me?

Argh! Then the problem is on my side. I might have to refresh my browser, but I'm afraid I don't know how to do it.

No worries, just let me know if the problem persists for more than a few days. If anyone reading this is having similar problems, please let me know.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 28, 2018, 10:16:47 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on July 28, 2018, 10:12:58 PM

No worries, just let me know if the problem persists for more than a few days. If anyone reading this is having similar problems, please let me know.

Oh, I see what you mean now - I just encountered this myself. The bar is transparent.

DinoToyForum

I've removed that particular modification because it was obviously playing up. It means that images are no longer clickable, but they do now expand to their full width on the forum, when there's enough space for them to do so. When there isn't enough space (mobiles or small screens) the images will shrink to fit. Let's see how it goes.

mgaguilar

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 29, 2018, 01:05:19 AM
I've removed that particular modification because it was obviously playing up. It means that images are no longer clickable, but they do now expand to their full width on the forum, when there's enough space for them to do so. When there isn't enough space (mobiles or small screens) the images will shrink to fit. Let's see how it goes.

I was about to post a possible complaint about this. Images are (by default) HUGE on the threads. It's currently disrupting my ability to browse leisurely like before. Images complimented text, now images are massive and the text is sometimes lost. My zoom factor is 67% on the page and the images are still huge.
Was the down-sizing glitching with all the new updates happening?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: mgaguilar on July 30, 2018, 02:44:28 AM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 29, 2018, 01:05:19 AM

I was about to post a possible complaint about this. Images are (by default) HUGE on the threads. It's currently disrupting my ability to browse leisurely like before. Images complimented text, now images are massive and the text is sometimes lost. My zoom factor is 67% on the page and the images are still huge.
Was the down-sizing glitching with all the new updates happening?

Does reisizing your browser window help?

postsaurischian

I'm not happy with the new image design either.
It's chaotic and confusing, it just doesn't look good.
Plus - as mgaguilar has already mentioned - browsing some threads is painful now, so that you're losing interest in some cases.
I don't think this is a good solution.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on July 30, 2018, 09:28:29 AM
I'm not happy with the new image design either.
It's chaotic and confusing, it just doesn't look good.
Plus - as mgaguilar has already mentioned - browsing some threads is painful now, so that you're losing interest in some cases.
I don't think this is a good solution.

Thanks, I'll look into a solution. In the meantime, have you tried resizing your browser window? If you make it narrow the images will shrink accordingly. It might be a minor inconvenience but should solve your problem while I look for a permanent fix.

DinoToyForum

I've worked out how to make the forum automatically resize new images that are posted in new threads. I've set this to 700px wide. However, this doesn't effect images that have already posted... So, I'll keep looking for a solution.

Patrx

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 30, 2018, 09:27:49 PM
I've worked out how to make the forum automatically resize new images that are posted in new threads. I've set this to 700px wide. However, this doesn't effect images that have already posted... So, I'll keep looking for a solution.

In the meantime, I've found that going through the process of editing an existing post post (using the "modify" button), even if you don't make any changes, will resize any images therein :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Patrx on July 30, 2018, 09:48:11 PM

In the meantime, I've found that going through the process of editing an existing post post (using the "modify" button), even if you don't make any changes, will resize any images therein :)

That's good. It's because the forum automatically now adds a "width=700" value to the img code for any images larger than that. Like so (but without the spaces): [ img width=700 ] url [ /img ]

But once the value is set it can only be changed by editing the post. So I don't like it as a permanent solution...

DinoToyForum

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 30, 2018, 10:26:40 PM
Quote from: Patrx on July 30, 2018, 09:48:11 PM

That's good. It's because the forum automatically now adds a "width=700" value to the img code for any images larger than that. Like so (but without the spaces): [ img width=700 ] url [ /img ]

But once the value is set it can only be changed by editing the post. So I don't like it as a permanent solution...

OK, I found a better solution using css code, which I have implemented. Images now resize automatically but only up to a maximum size. I think that's reasonable. Have a look at this massive image (http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=7106.msg210474#msg210474) and let me know if it is working and if the max size is satisfactory (too big, too small?).

Halichoeres

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 28, 2018, 09:14:37 PM
Also, if anyone else notices any missing functionality, please let me know. It is probably a modification I need to reinstall, or purposefully haven't installed.

I have two things I've noticed. One is that images I've intentionally resized for fast loading are now full size, this is probably related to what you're already working on. The bbcode hasn't changed, but the size specification has no effect.

The other is that spoiler tags don't work anymore.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 31, 2018, 02:47:06 AM
Also, if anyone else notices any missing functionality, please let me know. It is probably a modification I need to reinstall, or purposefully haven't installed.

I have two things I've noticed. One is that images I've intentionally resized for fast loading are now full size, this is probably related to what you're already working on. The bbcode hasn't changed, but the size specification has no effect.

Yeah, my css code must be overriding the bbcode. In any case, neither code changes the actual size of the image file, so they won't load faster. The whole image has to be read for the image to be resized in browser. The only way to speed up image loading times is to resize the actual images files before you upload them onto the web (or, if your image host provides automatically resized options, use bbcode to link to a smaller one). In-forum resizing is all cosmetic.

BrontoScorpio

Few weeks ago my line-breaks started to disappear right after I add them :

I write a sentence with 4 different lines - and after I save it  - I noticed they were all joined to a one long line.

I have to go again and add 1 or two additional line-breaks.

Is there any place where I can change it in my settings - or is it a general feature ??

ceratopsian

This is not a problem I've met with.
Whether I put in one line break -

Or two line breaks, it posts just as I typed.

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on July 31, 2018, 09:06:17 AM

I write a sentence with 4 different lines - and after I save it  - I noticed they were all joined to a one long line.

Is there any place where I can change it in my settings - or is it a general feature ??

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 31, 2018, 09:15:28 AM
This is not a problem I've met with.
Whether I put in one line break -

Or two line breaks, it posts just as I typed.

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on July 31, 2018, 09:06:17 AM

No, it isn't a general feature and shouldn't happen. What browser do you use and does it still happen in other browsers?

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 31, 2018, 05:06:27 PM
No, it isn't a general feature and shouldn't happen. What browser do you use and does it still happen in other browsers?

Using firefox mozila

will check other browsers later

postsaurischian

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 30, 2018, 10:26:40 PM

....... the forum automatically now adds a "width=700" value to the img code for any images larger than that. Like so (but without the spaces): [ img width=700 ] url [ /img ]

:o Horror! It's getting worse.
Now not a single picture of mine can be seen in its original size. All reduced to "width=700".

I loved the  "width=800" concept. Everything looked tidy in the same format while the pictures could be enlarged to their original size (which is important [at least to me] regarding the pictures' quality).
Is there really no way to get back to our previous form of presentation? It was pretty perfect :'( .

Why is it still working over at the ATF?

Halichoeres

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 31, 2018, 08:19:57 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 31, 2018, 02:47:06 AM

Yeah, my css code must be overriding the bbcode. In any case, neither code changes the actual size of the image file, so they won't load faster. The whole image has to be read for the image to be resized in browser. The only way to speed up image loading times is to resize the actual images files before you upload them onto the web (or, if your image host provides automatically resized options, use bbcode to link to a smaller one). In-forum resizing is all cosmetic.

Oh, that's interesting. It always seemed to me that threads with un-resized images took much longer to load. Would the yellow bar that you click to view full size have appreciably added to the load time (say, if it were multiplied by a dozen images), or am I just imagining things?

In any event, some of my posts are a little uglier now, but it's not the end of the world.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: