News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Forum changes

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 02:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 31, 2018, 11:44:20 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 31, 2018, 08:19:57 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 31, 2018, 02:47:06 AM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 28, 2018, 09:14:37 PM
Also, if anyone else notices any missing functionality, please let me know. It is probably a modification I need to reinstall, or purposefully haven't installed.

I have two things I've noticed. One is that images I've intentionally resized for fast loading are now full size, this is probably related to what you're already working on. The bbcode hasn't changed, but the size specification has no effect.

The other is that spoiler tags don't work anymore.

Yeah, my css code must be overriding the bbcode. In any case, neither code changes the actual size of the image file, so they won't load faster. The whole image has to be read for the image to be resized in browser. The only way to speed up image loading times is to resize the actual images files before you upload them onto the web (or, if your image host provides automatically resized options, use bbcode to link to a smaller one). In-forum resizing is all cosmetic.

Oh, that's interesting. It always seemed to me that threads with un-resized images took much longer to load. Would the yellow bar that you click to view full size have appreciably added to the load time (say, if it were multiplied by a dozen images), or am I just imagining things?

In any event, some of my posts are a little uglier now, but it's not the end of the world.

I think you are imagining things. :P

Anyway, I'm not convinced the solution I found is working 100%, it might depend on browser.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on July 31, 2018, 09:33:19 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 30, 2018, 10:26:40 PM

....... the forum automatically now adds a "width=700" value to the img code for any images larger than that. Like so (but without the spaces): [ img width=700 ] url [ /img ]

But once the value is set it can only be changed by editing the post. So I don't like it as a permanent solution...

:o Horror! It's getting worse.
Now not a single picture of mine can be seen in its original size. All reduced to "width=700".

I loved the  "width=800" concept. Everything looked tidy in the same format while the pictures could be enlarged to their original size (which is important [at least to me] regarding the pictures' quality).
Is there really no way to get back to our previous form of presentation? It was pretty perfect :'( .

Why is it still working over at the ATF?

It is still functioning normally at ATF because it is running old software. I'll have to update it eventually as old software is a security risk. I just don't have time or energy to do it, especially with the issues I faced here.

Anyway, just for you, I installed the most up to date version of the old mod you liked so much. We were concerned was playing up, and it doesn't have the yellow bar, but there's nothing I can do about that (the people who wrote the mod must have changed it). Let me know how it goes.

Edit - okay, I have confirmed that the problem with the transparent bar was definitely a cache problem. If you still encounter it, empty your browser cache or just wait a day or two.

Problem solved!  8)

postsaurischian

Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 01, 2018, 12:11:34 AM
It is still functioning normally at ATF because it is running old software. I'll have to update it eventually as old software is a security risk. I just don't have time or energy to do it, especially with the issues I faced here.

As you probably already know, I have no notion of computers. I'm just using them to get and do the few things I like.
I'm very thankful and I highly appreciate the work you're doing here - keeping up the forum!
(due to my computer foolishness, doing the pictures I do also takes hours and hours, but I love it, it gets me away from bad thoughts and everyday stress)

Anyway, just for you, I installed the most up to date version of the old mod you liked so much.

:-[
Urgh! Am I being selfish? Sorry if I seemed whining.
But I think it's for everybody's good. Not only were the pictures reduced to an img width of 700,
they also were compressed - as if you watched a 16:9 movie in 4:3.
I'm aware of the fact that some people do not even realize the difference. To me it's horror to the eyes :) .

Edit - okay, I have confirmed that the problem with the transparent bar was definitely a cache problem. If you still encounter it, empty your browser cache or just wait a day or two.

Problem solved!  8)

:D  It indeed is. Thank you so much!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 01, 2018, 03:34:40 PM

As you probably already know, I have no notion of computers. I'm just using them to get and do the few things I like.
I'm very thankful and I highly appreciate the work you're doing here - keeping up the forum!
(due to my computer foolishness, doing the pictures I do also takes hours and hours, but I love it, it gets me away from bad thoughts and everyday stress)

Anyway, just for you, I installed the most up to date version of the old mod you liked so much.

:-[
Urgh! Am I being selfish? Sorry if I seemed whining.
But I think it's for everybody's good. Not only were the pictures reduced to an img width of 700,
they also were compressed - as if you watched a 16:9 movie in 4:3.
I'm aware of the fact that some people do not even realize the difference. To me it's horror to the eyes :) .

Problem solved!  8)

:D  It indeed is. Thank you so much!

No, I'm glad you encouraged me to find a solution, the forum is indeed better for it! ^-^

DinoToyForum

And so it begins. 'New for 2019' board added and we're just over half way through 2018: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?board=37.0

Fembrogon

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 31, 2018, 02:47:06 AM
[The other is that spoiler tags don't work anymore.
Just dropping in to say I'm noticing this too, now. In fact, the spoiler tag button seems to have disappeared from the reply menu entirely.

DinoToyForum

I'd just like to say...

Spoiler
Spoiler functionality has returned to the DTF.  8)
[close]

SidB

BTW, I noticed that Tyrant Queen's name has vanished from the list of Top Posters. An oversight?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: SidB on August 02, 2018, 10:16:34 AM
BTW, I noticed that Tyrant Queen's name has vanished from the list of Top Posters. An oversight?

See earlier in this thread. It is because her profile is set to "hide online status".

SidB

Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 02, 2018, 10:50:05 AM
Quote from: SidB on August 02, 2018, 10:16:34 AM

See earlier in this thread. It is because her profile is set to "hide online status".

Ah! Got it.

stargatedalek

Was the recent acquisitions for other toys topic removed? Or is it not in the other toys section of the site?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 04, 2018, 07:08:02 PM
Was the recent acquisitions for other toys topic removed? Or is it not in the other toys section of the site?

I haven't moved or deleted such a topic, so it should still be there if it was there.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 04, 2018, 07:11:07 PM

I haven't moved or deleted such a topic, so it should still be there if it was there.

Found and stickied. :) http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2054.0

stargatedalek

Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 04, 2018, 07:14:45 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 04, 2018, 07:11:07 PM

Found and stickied. :) http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2054.0
Thanks for that. Probably a good idea to keep that stickied.

Sim

I'm finding that now when I click the orange "new" button next to a thread with unread replies, it takes me to the last unread reply rather than the first.  This makes it easier to miss unread replies, especially if a thread reaches a new page and there are unread replies on the previous page.

Halichoeres

So now that the ability to resize by width is restored, is it possible to restore resizing by height?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 06, 2018, 03:07:58 AM
So now that the ability to resize by width is restored, is it possible to restore resizing by height?

It is already set to resize tall images to 800px high. Have to encountered images taller than that on the forum?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on August 06, 2018, 01:11:15 AM
I'm finding that now when I click the orange "new" button next to a thread with unread replies, it takes me to the last unread reply rather than the first.  This makes it easier to miss unread replies, especially if a thread reaches a new page and there are unread replies on the previous page.

I really don't know why that's happening or how to fix it. That might just be one we'll have to live with. Sorry.

Reptilia

Why I can't always see top posters' avatars? Sometimes they appear and sometimes they don't.

DinoToyForum

Managed to edit the PHP so now those who have 'Show Online Status' set to off still appear in the top posters list.

Not sure why the avatars don't always show, I noticed that as well.  :-\

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: