News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Spinosaurus new look!

Started by SpartanSquat, August 14, 2014, 06:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 14, 2014, 07:20:03 PM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 14, 2014, 07:18:55 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 14, 2014, 07:17:22 PM
And these too.

http://yoult.deviantart.com/#/art/Mammal-Revolution-394442470?hf=1

The main pics seems to be homo vs. Panthera.

The tiny one is a freaky chicken man.
The tiny one is also a human. Basically drawing dinosaurs shrink-wrapped is like drawing tigers and humans like that.

EDIT: Also, we should probably move this discussion somewhere else.

Agreed, but to where?
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 14, 2014, 06:58:55 PM
4 % Spinosaurus

96% rolls.
Are you trying to say we should just discard the evidence because you don't care for the way it looks? That's silly.

Don't worry, you'll get used to the new look eventually.

Trisdino

Yes, me missing that in the corner was stupid, so let me try again:

what is this?

And this?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 14, 2014, 07:21:25 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 14, 2014, 07:20:03 PM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 14, 2014, 07:18:55 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 14, 2014, 07:17:22 PM
And these too.

http://yoult.deviantart.com/#/art/Mammal-Revolution-394442470?hf=1

The main pics seems to be homo vs. Panthera.

The tiny one is a freaky chicken man.
The tiny one is also a human. Basically drawing dinosaurs shrink-wrapped is like drawing tigers and humans like that.

EDIT: Also, we should probably move this discussion somewhere else.

Agreed, but to where?
Just create a new thread.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 14, 2014, 07:22:10 PM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 14, 2014, 06:58:55 PM
4 % Spinosaurus

96% rolls.
Are you trying to say we should just discard the evidence because you don't care for the way it looks? That's silly.

Don't worry, you'll get used to the new look eventually.
Yeah, I'm actually working on a shrink-wrapped mosasaur to show how not to show draw prehistoric animals.

I hope so, these arguments are pointless and irritating.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Trisdino on August 14, 2014, 07:22:57 PM
Yes, me missing that in the corner was stupid, so let me try again:

what is this?

And this?

Owl

Cave lion
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Trisdino

Do I really have to change the URLS for you not just to check?

Anyway, discussion moved.

Patrx

Well! Now I'm glad I've not yet bought any Spinosaurus figures, they'd be outdated now  ;D

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Trisdino on August 14, 2014, 07:33:55 PM
Do I really have to change the URLS for you not just to check?

Anyway, discussion moved.

I didn't check.
-UDK

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Patrx on August 14, 2014, 07:34:24 PM
Well! Now I'm glad I've not yet bought any Spinosaurus figures, they'd be outdated now  ;D
I think it's cool to own toys or models that show outdated ideas. I'd like to organise them so I can show a progression in understanding. Looking at the old Carnegie Spinosaurus, then the newer one, and now this new interpretation, it is very interesting to see how things can change.

I'm still going to get the Sideshow Spinosaurus even though it's outdated now >:D

Simon

Weird, ugly, nasty, brutish - I LIKE IT.   ;D

Simon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 14, 2014, 06:30:14 PM
So Spinosaurus is now believed to have a dip in the middle of its sail? I can't make out much from the photo, but its body looks quite low slung compared to how I've normally seen it depicted. 

And also, does that mean that new Spino specimens have been found?

The dip is new to me, but the ultra-short legs are not.  Rumors about new Spinosaur specimens being found and/or in private hands have popped up over the past 10 years or so.  Supposedly there is an 8-foot skull out there somewhere. 

This is encouraging because it now looks like we may have (finally) a complete beastie - I mean you wouldn't just put that dip in the sail in there without a reason.

A wallowing animal hunting fish wouldn't need ultra-long legs, the Croc-like double chin makes sense to me physiologically as well.  The sail is even more grotesque than previously imagined, am really interested in hearing new theories as to its purpose.  Display obviously, but if the animal spent a lot of time partly immersed in water then a use for keeping the animal warm is also possible (aka sun catcher)

This critter just got more bizarre....

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 14, 2014, 07:38:59 PM
Quote from: Patrx on August 14, 2014, 07:34:24 PM
I think it's cool to own toys or models that show outdated ideas. I'd like to organise them so I can show a progression in understanding. Looking at the old Carnegie Spinosaurus, then the newer one, and now this new interpretation, it is very interesting to see how things can change.
I agree! If I had more space and money I think it'd be cool to set up some displays like that.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Simon on August 14, 2014, 07:44:48 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 14, 2014, 06:30:14 PM
So Spinosaurus is now believed to have a dip in the middle of its sail? I can't make out much from the photo, but its body looks quite low slung compared to how I've normally seen it depicted. 

And also, does that mean that new Spino specimens have been found?

The dip is new to me, but the ultra-short legs are not.  Rumors about new Spinosaur specimens being found and/or in private hands have popped up over the past 10 years or so.  Supposedly there is an 8-foot skull out there somewhere. 

This is encouraging because it now looks like we may have (finally) a complete beastie - I mean you wouldn't just put that dip in the sail in there without a reason.

A wallowing animal hunting fish wouldn't need ultra-long legs, the Croc-like double chin makes sense to me physiologically as well.  The sail is even more grotesque than previously imagined, am really interested in hearing new theories as to its purpose.  Display obviously, but if the animal spent a lot of time partly immersed in water then a use for keeping the animal warm is also possible (aka sun catcher)

This critter just got more bizarre....
Just when we thought it couldn't get any weirder huh ;D.

Balaur

It's like Deinocheirus all over again, except not that weird.  :))

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on August 14, 2014, 08:52:51 PM
It's like Deinocheirus all over again, except not that weird.  :))
I don't think any dinosaur is that weird :)). Deinocheirus has officially been crowned the "weirdest dinosaur ever".

Yutyrannus

Gwangi

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 14, 2014, 10:25:11 PM
Also, here's another good picture of it:
http://dinofuzz.deviantart.com/art/Dat-new-Spino-sail-m8-475400025

Not on board with that one, far too speculative and mammalian for my tastes.

Patrx

Agreed. I'm all for speculative designs but it really does look like a mammal in that drawing.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: