News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Whale Evolution

Started by Yutyrannus, August 17, 2014, 02:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

I'm currently drawing a Maiacetus and I was wondering if primitive whales (from pakicetids to protocetids) had whiskers. Does anyone know if they did or did not?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Ultimatedinoking

Possibly, considering that they lived in rivers and had smallish eyes, that and the fact that living whales only have hairs around the mouth makes it likely.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Actually some of them (like Ambulocetus) could swim between saltwater and freshwater. Also, whiskers are pretty close to the mouth.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 17, 2014, 02:32:08 AM
Actually some of them (like Ambulocetus) could swim between saltwater and freshwater. Also, whiskers are pretty close to the mouth.

Perhaps they had large kidneys?

That's what I was saying.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Newt

Modern cetaceans develop whiskers during embryonic development. I don't know how you would determine presence or absence of whiskers from fossils, but it's at least plausible for early whales - especially if they are species that could not echolocate.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Newt on August 17, 2014, 02:37:11 AM
Modern cetaceans develop whiskers during embryonic development. I don't know how you would determine presence or absence of whiskers from fossils, but it's at least plausible for early whales - especially if they are species that could not echolocate.

You can sometimes find dents on the skull bones, showing where they would be.
-UDK

stargatedalek

they could have functioned similarly to catfish barbels, helping species find prey hidden along the bottom

SBell

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 17, 2014, 02:39:04 AM

On many mammals that have whiskers, there are pits in the skulls where the whiskers would be, even in very early ancestors like Thrinaxodon. I couldn't find any evidence of this in any photos or drawings, but I couldn't actually find a picture that would seem sufficiently clear to know for sure.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: SBell on August 17, 2014, 03:23:37 AM

On many mammals that have whiskers, there are pits in the skulls where the whiskers would be, even in very early ancestors like Thrinaxodon. I couldn't find any evidence of this in any photos or drawings, but I couldn't actually find a picture that would seem sufficiently clear to know for sure.

I was going to use thrinaxodon as an example.

Maybe they were not rooted deeply?
-UDK

SBell

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 17, 2014, 03:31:20 AM

That would defeat the purpose--mammal whiskers are pressure sensitive to the environment (not chemo-receptive like a catfish) so they would need to have a fairly strong physical attachment to allow the animal to sense the environment. Unless they were rudimentary or vestigial.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: SBell on August 17, 2014, 03:41:21 AM

That would defeat the purpose--mammal whiskers are pressure sensitive to the environment (not chemo-receptive like a catfish) so they would need to have a fairly strong physical attachment to allow the animal to sense the environment. Unless they were rudimentary or vestigial.

...lion skulls don't have attachment pits.
-UDK

SBell

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 17, 2014, 03:45:11 AM

I can see some right behind the base of the canine

SBell

Quote from: SBell on August 17, 2014, 04:02:24 AM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 17, 2014, 03:45:11 AM

I can see some right behind the base of the canine

EDIT--I should clarify--these 'pits' are not going to be super deep or anything--they are attachment points for the base or root of the whisker to the skull, where they meet a nerve-ending, which can then transmit information to the brain (AKA sensory organs... :-\). So they are going to be subtle no matter what, but the question here is whether they are present or not on early cetaceans. Or even modern ones--I haven't a clue about that.

EDIT 2--DANGIT. That was supposed to be a modification of the previous post, not a double post. This one will hopefully work right or I'm going to look right foolish.

Ultimatedinoking

Whale skulls don't have them.

Are you talking about the tiny pits above the premolars? Or the. Large holes on the lower jaw, those are nerve openings.
-UDK

stargatedalek

Are any particular species suspected of being bottom feeders? (shellfish in particular)
these are the ones I would think most likely to have distinctive whiskers

Being amphibious also seems to make whiskers more likely

admittedly I've never studied them in depth, but I've never seen pits on a modern cetacean skull

Ultimatedinoking

But we can't rule out that they didn't have super sensitive skin, like alligator noses.
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 17, 2014, 04:15:45 AM

Are you talking about the tiny pits above the premolars? Or the. Large holes on the lower jaw, those are nerve openings.
I never said modern whales have them.

The tiny pits.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 17, 2014, 04:31:07 AM

The tiny pits.

I know, someone asked if whales had pits.

Ok.
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 17, 2014, 04:40:16 AM

The tiny pits.

Ok.
They said embryonic whales had whiskers.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 17, 2014, 04:45:59 AM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 17, 2014, 04:40:16 AM

The tiny pits.

Ok.
They said embryonic whales had whiskers.

I ment whale skulls.  :-[
-UDK

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: