News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Whale Evolution

Started by Yutyrannus, August 17, 2014, 02:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultimatedinoking

As apposed to a coconut?  :D

I'm not sure  basilosaurus didn't. I'd assume that since mysticetes don't have melons, they fist appeared after the spilt between them and odontocetes.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Okay, thanks! What about my first question? How is it known that the hind limbs of Dorudon and Basilosaurus were actually visible in life?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Ultimatedinoking

Good question!

I guess it depends on how blubbery they were.

The legs were very tiny, probably not visible at all.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Yutyrannus

Okay thanks! I guess I'll draw them with hardly any of the limb showing. The reason I was asking is because almost all reconstructions of Dorudon and Basilosaurus are shrink-wrapped and if modern whales were drawn that way, they would have visible hind limbs too.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 18, 2014, 08:30:00 PM
Okay thanks! I guess I'll draw them with hardly any of the limb showing. The reason I was asking is because almost all reconstructions of Dorudon and Basilosaurus are shrink-wrapped and if modern whales were drawn that way, they would have visible hind limbs too.

If they showed at all, it was most likely a tiny bumb, like boa claws.
-UDK

stargatedalek

IIRC it was often depicted that way because of climate, their ancestors had yet to endure a climate with the need for thick insulating blubber
don't quote me on it

Yutyrannus

Yes, but showing whales like this is just ridiculous.

And what's with the teeth? Not a single mammal lacks lips.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 18, 2014, 10:59:10 PM
Yes, but showing whales like this is just ridiculous.

And what's with the teeth? Not a single mammal lacks lips.

Maybe they confused them with mosasaurs? Every basilosaurus I've seen is lipless.
-UDK

Yutyrannus

I know, they may be archaeocetes but they are still whales. They probably would have looked more like this:
http://bestiarium.kryptozoologie.net/artikel/fossile-wale-teil-1-was-bei-vielen-darstellungen-von-urwalen-falsch-gemacht-wird/dorudon-atrox-by-markus-buhler/

I'm not even going to start on how most people depict Ambulocetus.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 19, 2014, 06:12:12 PM
I know, they may be archaeocetes but they are still whales. They probably would have looked more like this:
http://bestiarium.kryptozoologie.net/artikel/fossile-wale-teil-1-was-bei-vielen-darstellungen-von-urwalen-falsch-gemacht-wird/dorudon-atrox-by-markus-buhler/

I'm not even going to start on how most people depict Ambulocetus.

That's much better.

Oh I know!
-UDK