You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0thebigwytec5

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on September 17, 2014, 05:32:41 AM
That chart was actually illustrated by Larry Felder.  He gave me the original of the Pachycephalosaurus as a gift, actually.  (Am I bragging?...yes.  I suppose I am.)
[/URL]

Oh, thats good to know thanks.

There is no harm in bragging when you have something that neat! Congrats! Have you had it a long time now?

Gryphoceratops

Not at all.  He gave it to me last summer when we went out for dinner.  http://jerseyboyshuntdinosaurs.blogspot.com/2013/09/dinner-and-dinosaur-art-jersey-boys.html

Sim

Quote from: John on September 18, 2014, 12:05:49 AM
Quote from: DC on September 17, 2014, 09:25:40 PM
The original T rex was an impressive figure and still is.  I cannot communicate the impact it had on me when I first saw it.  The comparison was my first exposure to the Carnegie line after growing up with Marx and Timmee figures.  Now we are jaded by a wider range of mach 2 style dinosaurs.  I would hope that a change in the production process , longer mold time, or a stiffer medium could fix the problem.  Keep the rest as it is.  Seems to me it would be more effective to do a new figure, than retool the mold for classic, given the technology changes since the original release.
That is a very good point.It WOULD be better to just see new models than just retooling the old molds for the classic ones.Instead of a retooled Triceratops or Styracosaurus,imagine seeing a new Centrosaurus or Einiosaurus turn up as additions instead. ;D
The dinosaurs I'd like to see the most from Battat are actually mostly ones from the original 3 sets!  I'd like to see good, up-to-date versions of them, as they're all distinctive and interesting dinosaurs!  I find most figures of these dinosaurs currently available not satisfying.

Manatee

Is this topic still going? If so, will the Triceratops have armor and quills like this picture (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/battle-brak/Dinosaurs/Triceratops.jpg)? This was based off a currently undescribed specimen, so there certainly is solid evidence for the odd new look of Triceratops. It would certainly make the Battat Triceratops different and more accurate than all the others out there.

Gwangi

I certainly hope not. I don't particularly agree with depicting quilled ceratopsians, ASAIK this specimen does not even preserve quills, only scales that were suggested to have anchored them but with no paper I think it is a bit risky to sculpt Triceratops in this manner based on so little.

John

Quote from: Sim on September 18, 2014, 10:26:22 PM
Quote from: John on September 18, 2014, 12:05:49 AM
Quote from: DC on September 17, 2014, 09:25:40 PM
The original T rex was an impressive figure and still is.  I cannot communicate the impact it had on me when I first saw it.  The comparison was my first exposure to the Carnegie line after growing up with Marx and Timmee figures.  Now we are jaded by a wider range of mach 2 style dinosaurs.  I would hope that a change in the production process , longer mold time, or a stiffer medium could fix the problem.  Keep the rest as it is.  Seems to me it would be more effective to do a new figure, than retool the mold for classic, given the technology changes since the original release.
That is a very good point.It WOULD be better to just see new models than just retooling the old molds for the classic ones.Instead of a retooled Triceratops or Styracosaurus,imagine seeing a new Centrosaurus or Einiosaurus turn up as additions instead. ;D
The dinosaurs I'd like to see the most from Battat are actually mostly ones from the original 3 sets!  I'd like to see good, up-to-date versions of them, as they're all distinctive and interesting dinosaurs!  I find most figures of these dinosaurs currently available not satisfying.
As much as I'd like to see new additions,Ceratosaurus,Diplodocus and Styracosaurus just so happen to be some of my childhood favorites,so it wouldn't hurt my feelings if more up to date models of them turned up if Dan felt like it. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Manatee

Good point. I was mostly referring to the armored skin in my post (which there is solid evidence for, like I said), even though I sometimes do agree with ceratopsian quills. Mentioning quills at all was more of an afterthought.

loru1588

Quote from: Manatee on October 13, 2014, 09:51:32 PM
Is this topic still going? If so, will the Triceratops have armor and quills like this picture (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/battle-brak/Dinosaurs/Triceratops.jpg)? This was based off a currently undescribed specimen, so there certainly is solid evidence for the odd new look of Triceratops. It would certainly make the Battat Triceratops different and more accurate than all the others out there.

If you can point me in the direction of the paper that drawing is based on I'll take a look at it.

Simon

I know its not gonna happen, but I wish that the Battat Triceratops could be made a little LARGER. It was the largest ceratopsian known to date and it ought to be bigger (a little bit) than the Pachyrhinosaurus ...  the 1/40 Battat Trike is average-sized, and not based off the larger end of the specimens known today ... (see "Triceratops Maximus " - ie ultra large Horrius skull at BYU - and Eotriceratops, both of which have skulls longer than 8 feet) ...

John

Quote from: loru1588 on October 13, 2014, 10:58:05 PM

If you can point me in the direction of the paper that drawing is based on I'll take a look at it.
*Updated with much better link for information

That illustration is not quite right.This page here (I think it's run by member Gryphoceratops) gives a better idea of how the skin of Triceratops should look based on the skin impressions of "Lane":
http://jerseyboyshuntdinosaurs.blogspot.com/2013_09_01_archive.html

Unfortunately,I'm not aware of anything published on the skin impressions yet.

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

John

double post by mistake.

Manatee

Quote from: John on October 14, 2014, 12:00:38 AM

That illustration is not quite right.This page here (I think it's run by member Gryphoceratops) gives a better idea of how the skin of Triceratops should look like based on the skin impressions of "Lane":

You are correct. Like the hump-backed Deinocheirus, the remains are still undescribed.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I didn't remember this until just now, but are you considering removing the parasaurolophus' sail? I remember reading somewhere it is unlikely (though not impossible); but I am not 100% sure what was said or where I read it.  Regardless, I will buy it when it is reissued.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

loru1588

Quote from: Simon on October 13, 2014, 11:47:12 PM
I know its not gonna happen, but I wish that the Battat Triceratops could be made a little LARGER. It was the largest ceratopsian known to date and it ought to be bigger (a little bit) than the Pachyrhinosaurus ...  the 1/40 Battat Trike is average-sized, and not based off the larger end of the specimens known today ... (see "Triceratops Maximus " - ie ultra large Horrius skull at BYU - and Eotriceratops, both of which have skulls longer than 8 feet) ...

Just think of it as Triceratops prorsus. In order to make it larger an entire new sculpt would be needed whether I did it manually or they scanned it and 3-D printed it. The Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai I did is based on an incomplete skull recently found that is huge!! Making it a rival size wise to Triceratops.

amargasaurus cazaui

Dan is that the skull Darren Tranke has been posting about lately? It really is large !!!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Simon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 15, 2014, 02:18:22 PM
Dan is that the skull Darren Tranke has been posting about lately? It really is large !!!

LINK PLEASE!!!  ^-^

Simon

Quote from: loru1588 on October 15, 2014, 02:02:51 PM
Quote from: Simon on October 13, 2014, 11:47:12 PM

Just think of it as Triceratops prorsus. In order to make it larger an entire new sculpt would be needed whether I did it manually or they scanned it and 3-D printed it. The Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai I did is based on an incomplete skull recently found that is huge!! Making it a rival size wise to Triceratops.

Cool.  I had feared that the piece was a little too large for 1/40 scale!

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: John on October 14, 2014, 12:00:38 AM

That illustration is not quite right.This page here (I think it's run by member Gryphoceratops) gives a better idea of how the skin of Triceratops should look based on the skin impressions of "Lane":

Yay people follow my site! 

The photo at the bottom of that link is from the new undescribed specimen.  The "evidence of quills" is really just those nipple-shaped scales which somebody suggested the points may have extended into quills...which is unlikely.  The black and white sketch someone posted earlier doesn't really match with what the specimen shows.  There were no wide crocodilian-style armor plates on the back like that, just the more circular-shaped (nipple) ones surrounded by smaller circular scales.  The belly supposedly has smaller rectangular scales as does the fingers/toes.  To my knowledge no photos have been released of those yet.  My painting on the link John referenced includes all of it.  Here is a link that shows another picture of the imprint of the skin. 

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/replica-of-rare-triceratops-skin-goes-on-display-in-hill/article_2b66c924-bcce-5c0d-bcbb-806cec3d1209.html

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: