News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My latest build...Coelophysis.

Started by ningoth4, August 24, 2014, 11:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ningoth4

This is my Coelophysis. The sculpt is by Dan LoRusso. It is in 1/10th scale. One piece cast. Decal eyes. I added the feathering crest myself, which was based on various paleo artists concepts and a question I asked to Julius Csotonyi. The scheme was based somewhat on one of Julius' paintings with changes of my own ideas and other paintings. I built the groundwork as well. Painted using modulation, transparents, airbrushing, dry brushing, washes, filters, etc. As usual the photography washes out a bit of the subtle details, but hopefully you like what you see. :)

Kevin

stargatedalek

I love it, amazing job

don't see enough early theropods with feathers ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

Would the hands be correct in the seemingly pronated placement? Would they not be more opposing than downward?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Takama

Is that model Feathered by Default or is it just wrinkly on the skin?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on August 25, 2014, 04:15:58 AM
From the sculpting details it looks like the artist intended for it to be fine fuzz.

ningoth4

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 24, 2014, 11:57:54 PM
I love it, amazing job

don't see enough early theropods with feathers ;)

Thank you. I do love the feathered dino's. There are not a lot of kits out there showing some of the more updated research possibilities. Most of the Coelophysis kits and paleoart I have seen has them in just the skin, so I was happy when I found this kit with the possibility of dino fuzz and proto-feathers on it. I wanted to build it that way. :)

Kevin 

ningoth4

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 25, 2014, 12:05:20 AM
Would the hands be correct in the seemingly pronated placement? Would they not be more opposing than downward?

I can't answer that for sure. I have seen this animal drawn in so many different ways by so many different people. I had not paid that much attention to the hand placement, though I probably would not have taken the time to correct them anyhow. It is sculpted by Dan LoRusso, and I really like his work, so other than adding the feather crest I built him as presented. :)

Kevin 

ningoth4

Quote from: Takama on August 25, 2014, 04:15:58 AM

Correct, it is supposed to be the fine fuzz of the earlier feathered guys. I do not think that anything has  definitely been determined  about whether he was like this or not, but those I talked to in the field felt that there is a good chance he was and that it may only be a matter of time till they know for sure. I liked him sculpted this way for sure. :)

Kevin   

loru1588

@ningoth4 Kevin, as I said before, nice job!! It was my first attempt to show proto feathers. This sculpt was built to update the Coelophysis sculpture from Jonas Studios, so the pose is nearly identical. 20 years ago they were still questioning pronate hands on Late Triassic theropods.

amargasaurus cazaui

I quite agree, it is a gorgeous model. After I asked I did some reading up and apparently the hands were indeed opposing for this dinosaur rather than pronated, however if it was done years ago I can see why Dan sculpted it like this. Makes great sense, and still a gorgeous model.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Newt

Well done! Great paint job on a great sculpture of one of my favorite dinosaurs.

ningoth4

Quote from: loru1588 on August 30, 2014, 04:42:06 AM
@ningoth4 Kevin, as I said before, nice job!! It was my first attempt to show proto feathers. This sculpt was built to update the Coelophysis sculpture from Jonas Studios, so the pose is nearly identical. 20 years ago they were still questioning pronate hands on Late Triassic theropods.

Kewl, thanks for that info. That should also answer the question for one of the above quesations. It is a great kit and I loved painting it up. :)

Kevin

Arul

reinier zwanink

Yes and i am very interested in how you painted it
There is hardly anything to find on dinosaurs that one can use as a guide

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.