You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Entering the field, we are REBOR! 1:35 scale Yutyrannus Huali museum class model

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, August 28, 2014, 11:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinkamena

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 04, 2014, 03:41:16 PM
In Germany it's not cheap, unfortunately. I got it from MPV.
Regarding the overall quality it's clear it can't be cheap. Although you might find it for a better price in the U.K., where REBOR is based :-\.

I didn't realise they were based in the UK...will have to see if I can find it here somewhere. REBOR can you tell me if you sell direct in the UK please?  ^-^
Slowly running out of room...one toy at a time!

Invicta Wishlist (monochrome) - Plesiosaur, Mamenchisaurus, Dimetrodon, Muttaburrasaurus, Ichthyosaurm, Blue Whale 

Paleogene Pals

Having seen the Yutyrannus in the newly posted pictures, I say it looks quite nice.

Dinomike

I like this creature! In fact I liked it so much I ordered it for my birthday! Can't wait!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Federreptil

I've got my Y-Rex today from Dinosaur Time http://www.dinosaurtime.co.uk/Shop/Replica-Dinosaur-Models/Desktop-Models.html based in UK.
The details are terrific and the sculpt is very well done. I hope Rebor will evolve to a strong provider for exciting models. Maybe with more feathers maybe not only theropods or not only well known species. But foe congratulations for a very fine start.

Concavenator

I think the Wild Safari Yutyrannus is better:more accurate,more beautiful,more creative (closed mouth) and obviously cheaper..

postsaurischian

Quote from: Concavenator on November 13, 2014, 08:29:55 PM
I think the Wild Safari Yutyrannus is better:more accurate,more beautiful,more creative (closed mouth) and obviously cheaper..

??? What exactly about closing a mouth would you say is "creative"?
- REBOR's figure can be shown in both ways - opened & closed mouth. Wouldn't that be more creative?
- "more accurate and more creative" - that's a contradiction!
- I personally do not  involve the price when assessing a figures look. It only has a bearing on my decision whether to buy it or not.
- I also like the Wild Safari Yutyrannus. I want them both ;D.

Concavenator

This Yutyrannus is underfeathered  :-\ Which is a pity because the species they have chosen is wonderful.

Meso-Cenozoic

Raptoress

More accurate, yes but how more creative? I love both the Safari Yutyrannus and the Rebor one but I don't see how the Safari one is more creative. It's very static for a start and the jaw can be opened and closed in the Rebor model... The Rebor model as least is much more active in pose and in my opinion, far superior in detailing.

amanda

Rebor's is on par with Papo as far as detail. But not more than that. Aside from the removable base. I just cannot swallow the price. Even the Papo Allosaurus is only 20, or less in some places. I do not feel 40 plus shipping is....well, it is not within my range. BUT, I am happy to see that those who do get it are not disappointed by quality. That's good.

Meso-Cenozoic

I agree with you about the high prices, Amanda. I also don't think REBOR's detailing is any better than Papo's. I would consider getting both their new figures if they were priced closer to Papo's. I wrote in their King T. rex thread that I like the figures enough, and would be happy to get them by themselves. I'm sure their designer packaging and the bases up the price a good deal, not to mention the shipping prices!

amanda

Rebor wrote me to remind me they are using a special process to cast their figures in one solid piece resulting in no seams, and that that process is costly, which is a major factor in their pricing. So that and the packaging is their justification. They said they are targeting the high end collectors as opposed to the lower end such as Papo etc. Essentially they are taking the position their figure is more akin to a high end statue and not a toy.

Gwangi

Quote from: amanda on November 15, 2014, 12:12:22 AM
Rebor wrote me to remind me they are using a special process to cast their figures in one solid piece resulting in no seams, and that that process is costly, which is a major factor in their pricing. So that and the packaging is their justification. They said they are targeting the high end collectors as opposed to the lower end such as Papo etc. Essentially they are taking the position their figure is more akin to a high end statue and not a toy.

That's discouraging. I fear this strategy won't end up paying off for them. Most high end collectors seem attracted to more accurate models or movie memorabilia (like JP). In that price range I could buy some actual statues like DinoStoreus or some models by Galileo Hernandez or someone similar. At the risk of sounding overly critical, I'm afraid these REBOR models appear to be overpriced toys. For similar models I'll just stick to Papo. It's a shame because if it were comparable to Papo in price (like it is in quality) I would like to purchase their Tyrannosaurus.

Lithographica

I only just became aware of the existence of this lovely-looking model, and upon googling it, I discovered this thread. I have read the thread in its entirety and I am quite astonished and appalled by the unrestrained negativity and hostility towards the manufacturer that has been expressed in this forum.

As dinosaur toy collectors, the very future of our hobby depends on commercial firms being willing to invest in, and market, new dinosaur sculpts. I would have thought that this community would have been overjoyed at the emergence of a new company that clearly has the capacity to rival the quality dinosaur toy lines of Safari, Papo and Collecta.

Whether you consider this model to be beautiful or desirable is of course entirely a matter of your own personal opinion as a collector. But I would have thought the following points are not in dispute:

1) The manufacturer has produced a model with a dynamic pose, a finely-detailed surface texture and a meticulously-executed paint scheme. There is clearly an enormous amount of artistic and technical skill that went into producing this figure.

2) The manufacturer has produced a model that looks convincing as a living animal. Granted, the feathering traits of Yutyrannus may not be completely in accordance with the present hypothesis (and it is only a hypothesis) of how this species may have appeared in life; but even so, as a generic realisation of what a large feathered theropod may have looked like, this is a very plausible reconstruction.

3) From what I read in this thread, the manufacturer appears to have developed a method for casting toy-level dinosaur figures that largely eliminates casting seam lines. If true, this is an astonishing achievement that should be welcomed and applauded by all dinosaur toy collectors. Casting seam lines are one of the major detractors from the realism of toy dinosaur figures. 

4) The manufacturer has produced a model in an explicitly-stated scale (1/35), and they have stated their intention to produce other figures in the line, not only of dinosaurs, but also of other prehistoric animals.

5) The manufacturer could have made the commercially "safe" decision to open their line with yet another clichéd Tyrannosaurus or Triceratops figure. Instead, they made the much bolder decision to market a dinosaur that 99.9% of the general public has never even heard of... and a large feathered theropod at that! For those of us who follow palaeontology so avidly, it is easy to forget that the concept of a large feathered theropod would still seems outlandish and bizarre to 99.9% of the general public, so marketing such figures is a commercially brave decision, even if it is a scientifically laudable one.

6) Similarly, the manufacturer could have made the commercially "safe" decision to emulate the kind of product that established firms like Papo and Collecta already sell. Instead, they made a conscious risk to offer something different - in this case, marketing a toy-level model with what appears to be a highly attractive diorama display base, to say nothing of the interesting packaging. If companies didn't have the courage to make these kinds of decisions, toy dinosaur collecting would be a far less interesting hobby.

I would have thought an online community such as the dinosaur toy forum would have warmly welcomed and encouraged such attributes during the emergence of a new manufacturer of quality dinosaur figures. Instead the majority of posts on this thread are a sorry catalogue of negativity and complaint. I'll admit that many of the criticisms of the scientific accuracy of this model as a feathered Yutyrannus are valid, but I was struck by how many of those posting negative comments seemed either unable, or simply unwilling, to even bother framing their criticisms gently or politely as basic etiquette demands, or to look for good points as well as bad points about  this model, as common fairness and even-handedness requires. My overwhelming impression was - if I was a dinosaur toy manufacturer, why on Earth would I even bother having anything to do with the dinosaur toy forum, if this is the kind of reception they can expect?  :(

Paleogene Pals

Weeeeeeell, let's be honest. Some of the complaints on here do have validity. The comparison pictures are very telling. That being said; I think REBOR has great potential. I would like them, for example, to produce some stunning figures of Carboniferous amphibians, gorgonopsids, Tertiary mammals, or obscure dino species. Can you imagine them doing say a Basilosaurus or C. megalodon?

postsaurischian

Quote from: Lithographica on November 19, 2014, 11:44:30 AM
I only just became aware of the existence of this lovely-looking model, and upon googling it, I discovered this thread. ....... ....... .......

I fully agree!
Thanks for this comment. I would have written something similar, if my English was good enough.

sauroid

I myself can't wait to see more of their future models. i am thankful that there are more/new companies producing high quality models.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Everything_Dinosaur

The 1:35 scale replica of the Yutyrannus huali (Y-REX from REBOR) is now available from Everything Dinosaur.  This is a highly collectible and beautifully made replica which has been created with the dinosaur enthusiast in mind.

To see this model at Everything Dinosaur: Everything Dinosaur Yutyrannus huali

Patrx

I think a lot of the negativity is simply borne of disappointment. In my case, that's certainly true. REBOR has so many good things going on. I'd be willing pay extra for the elaborate packaging and bases. The idea of using a new casting technique to make a collectors' figure line between expensive resin kits and standard toy figures is very cool and exciting.

All that is what makes it so painful (for me at least) to examine "Y-REX" figure. All that promise, all that talent and skill, and that's what comes of it? If it were a simple matter of artistic expression, I'd have zero issues with it. It's a fantastic sculpture, very dynamic, detailed, and alive. The trouble is, this is aimed at dinosaur fans. The packaging and marketing states outright that it's designed to be up-to-date, educational, and informative, and that's just not the case, regardless of how nice the product is. It seems like just another awesomebro monster-saurus in a market that desperately needs to move in another direction.

To be clear, I don't approve of the snarky and rude commentary REBOR received here. I'm certainly not trying to propagate that further. I've said before that tact and respect are paramount when it comes to critique. What I'm trying to express, however, is that there are reasons for some of us to feel passionately about our criticisms, and that may explain (though perhaps not justify) some of the more harsh responses.

I do look forward to REBOR's future efforts, and the moment they do turn out a model that's up-to-date enough to suit my collection, I shall throw money at it with alacrity. I think it's great to have another company in the mix, particularly an ambitious project like this.

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Patrx on November 19, 2014, 03:55:26 PM
It seems like just another awesomebro monster-saurus in a market that desperately needs to move in another direction.
Well, I agree with most of your comments. But what figures sell best? Yes the AWESOMEBRO ones. So that needed shift in the market is not going to happen soon. Hey, just think in the new merchandising result of the upcomming Jurassic World movie.
By the way, I've just ordered this awesomebro figure, thank you E.D.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: