News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Thanks for posting all that, Dinoguy! You illustrated very well something I was going to point out - palaeontological consultants are not necessarily reliable when it comes to life restorations.

John

Seeing Darren Naish's comments on the Velociraptor,they may possibly be right about the wings,but the main thing I get from he and his friends' complaints about the Carnegie in general is that they don't go the "All Yesterdays" route.Which I am happy about,since I don't care for near as much speculation on spikes,spines,wattles and odd lumps as the artwork in that shows. :)
But still,as to more accurately feathered things we do have the Wild Safari Yutyrannus coming up,for which I see no anatomical flaws. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

pascosaur

@ Dinoguy2
I do agree with you
paleontologists are living in their world of bones and stones

Patrx

How do I find this "Twitter" conversation regarding the new Velociraptor? I'm afraid the site is quite alien to me

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Patrx on October 11, 2014, 09:37:29 PM
How do I find this "Twitter" conversation regarding the new Velociraptor? I'm afraid the site is quite alien to me

Twitter doesn't do a great job of keeping conversations together unless you use a hashtag, but here's part of it: https://twitter.com/TomHoltzPaleo/status/518410340552704000
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Patrx

Thanks for the link! I wish toy and model makers would pay more attention to discussions like these.

Gwangi

John

I forgot to mention this before,but the Carnegie Museum's Assistant Curator of vertebrate paleontology Matthew C. Lamanna is mostly responsible for what comes out in the Carnegie Collection.Some of the consultants he had for the Carnegie line that I know of:
Kenneth Carpenter for the Ankylosaurus (2005)
Mark A. Norell for the Beipiaosaurus,Caudipteryx,Dilong & Microraptor (2006)
Mike Everhart for the Tylosaurus (2009)
Octavio Mateus for the Miragaia (2011)
Mike Taylor for the Brachiosaurus (2012)
I'm not too sure who else consulted for which other models though (if any that is). :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Gwangi

Oh boy! Even Matthew Martyniuk has an opinion to share about the new Carnegie Velociraptor, proto-bird models, dinosaur art in general and paleontological consultants. He even links to our own debate about the Battat Nanshiungosaurus over on the blog.

You're Doing It Wrong: Protobird Toys Edition
http://dinogoss.blogspot.com/2014/10/youre-doing-it-wrong-protobird-toys.html

tyrantqueen

I'd like to point out an oversight.

QuoteLoRusso stated that his consultants told him larger therizinosaurs would have been featherless. It's not LoRusso's fault that he somehow was able to sculpt a bald maniraptoran in the year 2013. Somebody who did not know what they were talking about and claiming to be an expert in paleoart just because they work in the related field of paleontology told him to do it, and he very reasonably believed them because they were an "expert", though obviously they had misrepresented themselves.

That's not totally true. LoRusso stated himself that he did not think the species had feathers either.

QuoteTo feather or not to feather? After consulting some paleontologist friends the consensus was: no solid evidence on any other therizinosaur other than Beipiaosaurus having feathers. The time difference between Beipiaosaurus and Nanshiugosaurus is around 50 million years ( Beipiaosaurus being the earlier ) and Nanshiungosaurus is roughly 3 times the length and 5 times the weight of it's predecessor. So, like it or not, in my opinion as well as my councils, no feathers. As far as the color schemes, guess what? They are TOYS made for children 3 and up and they're only $8 bucks! If adults want to collect them and repaint them, that's awesome! Hell, I'm going to have a set of mine repainted. I just want to give the best sculpted piece I can at this point in time. If you want me to sculpt a custom piece to your thoughts on what a dinosaur should look like, I'll fit you into my schedule. I can tell you up front it will be a bit more than $8.00! Don't read any anger in this post, please. I am simply stating facts. I do my homework, but I do have guidelines I have to follow as well as a time frame. Work for hire can be a double edged sword at best. I hope you appreciate the rest of the series as they are issued. If anyone has any tips or comments that could prove helpful for my next builds, you can contact me here or via The Dinosaur Studio web page or Facebook page.

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 13, 2014, 09:58:34 PM
That's not totally true. LoRusso stated himself that he did not think the species had feathers either.

But was that an opinion LoRusso already had or sided with upon hearing the opinion of his consultant? Who can say, the meat behind the article is still valid though even if one of the details was off. LoRusso could certainly confirm if he wanted but I'm sure he's tired of this whole ordeal and I would rather him not feel obligated to drag himself into it.

Arul

The reason why i love safari is becuase they have many "weird" dinosaur.like yutyrannus :D

Patrx

An excellent read! It's great to see this issue getting attention from an expert like Matt Martyniuk.

laticauda

Why haven't we just invented a time machine and settle the debate once and for all.  Hot tub for comfort or a DeLorean for style, and not run into any hungry predators or Morlocks and see what the different species looked like.   Give it time people, everyday there are new discoveries, why argue over something that we simply do not have all the facts on.  We are arguing about guessing! ;D

John

Quote from: laticauda on October 14, 2014, 12:15:53 AM
Give it time people, everyday there are new discoveries, why argue over something that we simply do not have all the facts on.  We are arguing about guessing! ;D
What?!?Didn't you know?!?Logical and well thought out responses like the one you just posted have no place here on the internet!!!! ;D
Speaking of feathered things,Everything Dinosaur has a better pic of the new Safari Archaeopteryx up on their blog:

http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2014/09/22/safari-ltd-announce-new-models-for-2015.html

laticauda

Quote from: John on October 14, 2014, 12:28:57 AM
Give it time people, everyday there are new discoveries, why argue over something that we simply do not have all the facts on.  We are arguing about guessing! ;D
What?!?Didn't you know?!?Logical and well thought out responses like the one you just posted have no place here on the internet!!!! ;D
Speaking of feathered things,Everything Dinosaur has a better pic of the new Safari Archaeopteryx up on their blog:

http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2014/09/22/safari-ltd-announce-new-models-for-2015.html

Originally I thought the Archaeopteryx looked too plain, but I think it is starting to grow on me.

John

Quote from: laticauda on October 14, 2014, 12:34:35 AM

Originally I thought the Archaeopteryx looked too plain, but I think it is starting to grow on me.
Yes,the new pic does show a bit more detail than could be seen with the smaller pics from earlier. :)

SBell

Why haven't we just invented a time machine and settle the debate once and for all.  Hot tub for comfort or a DeLorean for style, and not run into any hungry predators or Morlocks and see what the different species looked like.   Give it time people, everyday there are new discoveries, why argue over something that we simply do not have all the facts on.  We are arguing about guessing! ;D

I almost wrote something similar, but probably would not have successfully tempered the sarcasm! ;)

alexeratops

This bigger picture of the Archeopteryx shows that its fingers are placed correctly with the feathers, one finger under the feathers, two out. This is great, there aren't many good Archs' out there. This might be the first one. :))

Unlike a certain Velociraptor... >:D
like a bantha!

laticauda

This bigger picture of the Archeopteryx shows that its fingers are placed correctly with the feathers, one finger under the feathers, two out. This is great, there aren't many good Archs' out there. This might be the first one. :))

I didn't notice that, very cool!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: