News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Quote from: joossa on September 17, 2015, 05:03:40 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 16, 2015, 09:48:41 PM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 16, 2015, 09:27:27 PM
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but does anybody know approximately what scale the Safari Sauropelta is? Preferably someone who has the actual model, since listed product dimensions are sometimes a little off.

The model is a little less than 20 cm long measured from the nose to the tail along the spine, and the animal was in the neighborhood of 5 m, so it comes out to around 1:25. Hope that helps!

Argh! Are you serious!? Mind blown again.
Guess I have to train myself to stop the 1:40 assumption.

Yeah, Battat is pretty much the only line of figures that stuck pretty closely to having them all in similar scale.

Sauropelta is a cool animal, but at 1/40 it would be too small.  So WS beefed it up, just like they shrink down some of the other figures like the TRex that would be "too big" for the niche their toys fill if rendered at 1/40.  So either you give up the hope of having one scale for all figures (or just stick to Battat), or you mix your display up between similar scale figures from all the figure lines.

I personally chose the "Battat-only" option.  I'm re-collecting them as they are released by Terra. I have no plan on getting any of the other figure lines again, however.  Too much work and $$$ ...

Halichoeres

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but does anybody know approximately what scale the Safari Sauropelta is? Preferably someone who has the actual model, since listed product dimensions are sometimes a little off.

The model is a little less than 20 cm long measured from the nose to the tail along the spine, and the animal was in the neighborhood of 5 m, so it comes out to around 1:25. Hope that helps!

To be fair, I think WS probably averages about 1:40, but they're really all over the map: 1:5 Rhamphorhynchus, 1:60 Elasmosaurus...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

terrorchicken

I had the old Schleich sauorpelta, it was a small figure, the size of the smaller Collecta stegosaurs and ankyloaurs, and I think that one was supposed to be 1:40.

joossa

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 17, 2015, 02:34:14 PM

To be fair, I think WS probably averages about 1:40, but they're really all over the map: 1:5 Rhamphorhynchus, 1:60 Elasmosaurus...
Yup and I don't mind that. I'm usually not picky on having a consistent scale along a line of figures, especially if they are as good as those in the WS line. I was just surprised the animal was so small.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

amargasaurus cazaui

See if this helps....a good a place as any for it. Doug's Safari Sauropelta with a Garrat makeover......I  like this model

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Great piece Amara. I dare say this model might be the best of the year, although I am quite fond of the Nasutoceratops as well. Your repaint makes this look like am expensive resin piece but the model itself costs a fraction as much. I feel like this model is getting overlooked in light of the larger and more extravagant CollectA pieces as well as the other releases this year and that's unfortunate.

Halichoeres

It's true, it's a fantastic piece. Theropods get all the love, though.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gwangi on September 18, 2015, 10:56:00 AM
Great piece Amara. I dare say this model might be the best of the year, although I am quite fond of the Nasutoceratops as well. Your repaint makes this look like am expensive resin piece but the model itself costs a fraction as much. I feel like this model is getting overlooked in light of the larger and more extravagant CollectA pieces as well as the other releases this year and that's unfortunate.
I could not agree more with you Gwangi, and I agree the Nasutoceratops is every bit as well done. I am having one of those painted as well, so soon we shall see. I had just commented myself on facebook that I was amazed that we live in a time when we can purchase this level of dinosaur toy, when ten years ago this piece would have been considered a high end model with a matching price tag. Taking the thought a bit further, there is no reason you could not place either model right alongside the Battat series ....in terms of quality and asethetics. (not so sure on the scale thing )I see this as one of those figures alot of people will overlook that suddenly spikes in price ten years down the road similar to....well ....Dougs Sue and Friends pieces with the Field museum.
   Forgot to say thanks for your kind words about the model Gwangi, I think Martin did this piece up very nicely for me. It had a bit of meaning for me as only a month ago, I had visited Kenneth Carpenter's other well known Nodasaurid, in Denver, the Gargoyleosaurus.
As I already have the Sauropelta signed by Kenneth, the next step for me was having one taken to the next level for a paint up and base and I feel Martin rose to the challenge quite well.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 18, 2015, 07:58:26 AM

Wow! Gorgeous repaint! It really makes me appreciate the quality of the sculpt that much more. I admit I'm a bit of a scale nazi, but Doug's Sauropelta really tempts me to break that habit...

Patrx

Absolutely agreed, Gwangi and Amarga. Best figure of the year, in my view, has got to go to that Sauropelta or the Nasutoceratops. Needless to say, I look forward to seeing Martin's work on the latter  :D I do love me some theropods, but some of the other dinosaurs tend to fare better in toy form on the grounds that manufacturers needn't worry about balance - or making them look "scary"  ::)

joossa

The underside of the Sauropelta is also very stunning. Reminds me of what you would see in a modern day lizard. It's just so life-life. <3

Can't wait to see the 2016 WS line-up.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Patrx you can bet it is coming, I sent both dinosaurs in the same box to him. You can bet if the one is done the other will not be far behind. I commissioned a repaint and base for it as well so....(Nasutoceratops)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.