News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Hey! I am now a Jr. Never thought I'd see that at my age!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Ankylosaurs don't get enough attention really..but I've seen people do like them. The more spiked and armored the better though.

I think this Sauropelta will be a great addition.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 18, 2014, 07:56:10 PM
Hey! I am now a Jr. Never thought I'd see that at my age!

lol you gotta get around more bud!

I'd say ceratopsians are just so similar is appearance aside from their heads is the reason TQ..(that's probably why the heads so look so different..so they didn't mistake each other! ;) )  that and the same sculptor as well. :)

Patrx

Great stuff, Doug! As others have stated, I think this is the best lineup from Safari in years :)
I am curious about something - though it specifically pertains to the new Carnegie Velociraptor (presumably sculpted by Forest Rogers rather than you) - does Safari specifically want to avoid covering the claws of winged dinosaurs with primary feathers? That detail seem to be missing rather often, and it seems plausible that a toy manufacturer would want the claws on display. Have they ever mentioned such a thing to you?

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

EmperorDinobot

They are all so lovely and beautiful :') I want to cry of happiness. The tripod pose works surprisingly well on that Carnegie Velociraptor.

tanystropheus

I had a feeling Safari would do Nasutoceratops and its gorgeous! ;D ;D I like all of these models, actually. I hope the Velociraptor remains faithful to that picture. Safari Ltd. has a history of botching up the paint job in some of the final production models (e.g Inostrancevia, Guanlong, Concavenator)

Concavenator

OMG this is Safari's best year in maany time!Also,thank you Safari for not having us waiting til late October.My opinion on the figures:

Carnegie Collection Velociraptor-fantastic figure.My only complaint is the feathering on the arms.Come on,it doesn't have wings!But the sculpt looks fantastic.Beautiful colors.The best Velociraptor in the market resin,shapeways models aside.Also,scheduled for November.What a fantastic present this would make!  ;)

Wild Safari Yutyrannus-awesome!!!2 years ago,I was hoping Safari would make a Suchomimus and a Yutyrannus.And now we have them!!!!Oh Wow thank tou soo much!And it looks excellent!

Wild Safari Nasutoceratops-fits really good with their current ceratopsians.No complaint about this one.
Should go well with the others,in particular with the Diabloceratops.I suggested thus ine last summer,so again,thank you very much  :)

Wild Safari Archaeopteryx-Okay,so this is epic(Two dromaeosaurs a year! ) Well,this one is a LOT better than Papo's.Beautiful coloration again.Good to see the small sickle claw  :)

Wild Safari Sauropelta-looks promising,one of the better recent ankylosaur models.

So,Safari,thank you a lot!  :D

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 18, 2014, 07:56:38 PM
Ankylosaurs don't get enough attention really..but I've seen people do like them. The more spiked and armored the better though.

I think this Sauropelta will be a great addition.

I'm actually really excited about the Sauropelta. For some reason I really like ankylosaur models, I have a few that are among my favorites in my entire collection.

A.Garcia

I wasn't expecting to come across this today. The figures all look promising. I like the Velociraptor's color scheme, and the pose works (I'm hoping the legs aren't too far apart). Color-wise, the Nasutoceratops should be really attractive if the final figure matches the image. I'm also happy to see a Sauropelta- after a lifetime without a good armored dinosaur, they're getting hard to keep up with now! It will be fun looking forward to new images/angles.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 18, 2014, 06:07:13 PM
Awesome!
  I have to say I'm enjoying building a set of Doug Watson ceratopsians..I hope Safari continues to allow him to make many more.

I agree. I've collected all of the Doug Watson ceratopsians. They are the most anticipated Safari models for me.

...As a side note, I wouldn't be too surprised if the WS models are all released later this year.

FUTABA

The Velociraptor body looks like a bit of a lazy re-hash of the Oviraptors, shrink wrapped too in the feather department, but still nice though. Also the Archaeopteryx has such a stale, overused pose for that genus. Reminds me of those big cheapo rubber eagles that bounce on bits of elasticated string and their wings flap. The ones that nearly every seaside gift shop has in the window. Not sure if the Yutyrannus looks a bit too stocky but I like the head design.
I really really like blue things.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Never expected to see this today. Velociraptor is well-painted in the prototype. I hope it stays that way. I think it should have primaries and feathers on its face as well, but it is much better than any mass-produced dromaeosaur out there, at least if it is as its shown. The face reminds me of the old raptor; not a bad thing. I can't say I'm thrilled about the archaeopteryx sculpt. At least they used similar colors to those it may have had in life. The exposed skin would look better gray, though. The sauropelta and nasutoceratops are out of this world! I'm also happy I can talk about the yutyrannus now. I was also hoping for two carnegies- but it appears there will only be one from now on.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

tyrantqueen

Who were the archaeopteryx and sauropelta sculpted by?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: FUTABA on September 18, 2014, 09:02:00 PM
The Velociraptor body looks like a bit of a lazy re-hash of the Oviraptors, shrink wrapped too in the feather department, but still nice though. Also the Archaeopteryx has such a stale, overused pose for that genus. Reminds me of those big cheapo rubber eagles that bounce on bits of elasticated string and their wings flap. The ones that nearly every seaside gift shop has in the window. Not sure if the Yutyrannus looks a bit too stocky but I like the head design.

>:D

Alexxitator

Carnegie Velociraptor: The colors are very nice, though the painting on the head could be done a bit more precicely judging from this pic I learnt pics often are misleading in this though. The pose is very forced, not a great fan of that. Love the intencity of the eyes. Unsure if I will get this one.

Yutyrannus: Very nice! On feathering this one may be more scientifically accurate than another release this period. Aesthetically though, the other one is miles ahead of this one. Somehere inbetween the two you find the Kaiyodo mini. Is it just me or is this beast too bulky? I will get this one

Nasutoceratops: I really like the skin texture done here. Very alive. The coloration is very nice aswell. I'll deffo add this one to my Ceratopsian wall of fame.

Archaeopteryx: Meh. I hope the real deal looks better. Coloring is very boring, though possibly accurate. Pose is painfully rigid. The toe is standing up, this is not a proven fact as far as I know. I think I will skip this one.

Sauropelta: I am unsure wether this one should have a somewhat more bumpy back. Pose is ok. I will probably get it.

Baby eggs: No thanks.
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Libraraptor

That Velociraptor has a great colour scheme.  The pose is okay, too, if it wasn´t for the tripod tail. 50%. One can hope for consequently non-tripod theropods as often as one wants, they just will not listen.
The Yutyrannus is easily the best of them all - 100% . And the Archaeopteryx, well, I´d love to see head details before I judge on this one. The Nasutoceratops is brillant, too  - 95% and the Sauropelta is very  good 90% . So the average for  four of the  new releases: 84 of 100 points. As I said I am waiting for the Archaeopteryx´ head details.

Roselaar

Looks good, especially the safari figures. The Carnegie Raptor is okay, but a little late to the feathered party to be really impressive. At least it featured a more inspired paint job than most recent Carnegiesaurs, though I bet this one too will look far less appealing in the flesh than it does on the stock photos.

The Safari figures are much more impressive! I love the Yutyrannus, Nasutoceratops and Sauropelta, those are all definite must-haves. The Archaeopteryx is good, though I find its paint job a little bland compared to most other figures of the genus. At least it isn't ripping those off though.

BTW, according to those catalog pics, these aren't 2015 releases at all. Does that mean there will be more to come for the actual year 2015? ;)

tyrantqueen

Wasn't it mentioned a while back that Carnegie had developed a solution to the balance issues that plague a lot of their toys? Given that the velociraptor is again using its tail as an emergency support, that would not seem to be case.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: