News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA-New for 2015

Started by Concavenator, October 20, 2014, 07:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: John on March 20, 2015, 10:45:00 PM
Thanks for that link,amargasaurus cazaui,very interesting things there. ;D
It's fitting that the subject of a species of Psittacosaurus should pop up in a thread about the line I could see most likely to come out with one sooner or later:CollectA. :)
Always glad to share anything regarding psittacosaurus especially, I have made it my point in life to have a nicely rounded, quite thorough sharing of this dinosaur. I am always always willing to share any papers I have related to ceratopsians for anyone that needs/wants them. A thing to ponder about psittacosaurus, given its popularity. Carnegie has probably done the best take on this dinosaur so far, although Collecta did what I call the ground squirrel version as well. I find it highly likely that one of the large companies, will eventually redo this figure. I would love to see Doug Watson take a shot at it...but if Collecta did it, at least we know it would be quilled . I sit here some nights pondering purchasing some sculptey and doing one myself.........
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 21, 2015, 03:05:34 AM
The problem is not that CollectA shrink wraps. The problem is that they do this strange chimera of half shrink wrapped and half not.
I again continue to voice my support for Stargate in highlighting this issue. She is correct in centering the issue once more. I did make the comment earlier in the thread, you can sit and view the Invicta line and some of them are heavily shrink wrapped, but your eye passes over it unless you are trying to find it, because the entire figure is consistently modeled.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

Following up on my previous post. Aside from the wider hips, which is after all a stability issue and unrelated to aesthetics like shrink wrapping, I honestly don't see how the CollectA Carcharodontosaurus is any more or less bulky than how Rey depicts them:

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

By the way, now that is fashionable ceraptosidos I think Collecta or any company should do the Protoceratops, whose remains are common in Mongolia and are in excellent condition.

I understand that Protoceratops excepting some company as Carnegie is a dinosaur unjustly forgotten by companies and even toy collecting.

Dobber

Quote from: suspsy on March 21, 2015, 01:26:52 PM
Following up on my previous post. Aside from the wider hips, which is after all a stability issue and unrelated to aesthetics like shrink wrapping, I honestly don't see how the CollectA Carcharodontosaurus is any more or less bulky than how Rey depicts them:

I can understand the hips as it serves the purpose of stability, but the shoulders bug me more. They are SO big and fat and then suddenly there are these skinny little arms sticking out. Reminds me of an obese persons arms. http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/195064/albums/71157/ShariBackArmsSwim.jpg

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Shonisaurus

In my humble opinion, to avoid errors like Carcharodontosaurus, the only viable solution is to put a minimum fulcrum, as with fantastic figures of medieval Schleich soldiers on foot.

Is not like the figures to which we are accustomed Collecta with points of absolute support, as ichyovenator, Pachycephalosaurus, Bistahieversor, Saurophaganax etc, is to put a few footholds mildly disguised in Figure I put as a model soldier schleich with reference knight dragon slayer 70116, tap another figure gentleman reference 70111. That way we could have more realistic figures.

For avoidance of doubt I pass the link http://www.schleich-s.com/de/DE/spielzeug/greifenritter_bogenschuetze/ this same could be done with dinosaur figures without actually put them in a data base, could maintain and most importantly without anatomical commit errors.

suspsy

That fulcrum idea is intriguing. You should try emailing CollectA about it.

Arul

Who is already got collecta smilodon ? Best 2015 figure i think  :D

suspsy

No one has it. It hasn't been released yet.

Arul

Check the identification thread i post collecta smilodon, its belong to someone in one of facebook toy lover group

MiniZoo

We've just uploaded a new video featuring the CollectA Feathered Trex, Smilodon, Acrocanthosaurus and Meducaceratops plus the new Baobab Tree....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2LDbz2Z5us

suspsy

Gods, I hope that lovely rex doesn't end up falling over everytime I look at it. How unstable is it? Did you have to glue it to that platform?

Shadowknight1

Well.  Acro's colors look better than the promo pic did, but the lack of high neck vertebrae is still a major turn off for me.  It still looks like a generic carcharodontosaurid with a humpback.  That T. rex though, I really want it!  When does that go up for order?

And you said last figures of 2015, what about the Spinos?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

MiniZoo

Quote from: suspsy on April 09, 2015, 03:10:29 AM
Gods, I hope that lovely rex doesn't end up falling over everytime I look at it. How unstable is it? Did you have to glue it to that platform?

The sample model we have stands on it's own, but it doesn't take more than a puff of wind to topple over. May need to warm it up and reset the leg slightly to get better stability.

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 09, 2015, 03:38:51 AM
..... That T. rex though, I really want it!  When does that go up for order?

And you said last figures of 2015, what about the Spinos?

Yep, you're right about Spino - our mistake... unfortunately we didn't have a sample to review at the time. Spoke to our supplier and we are anticipating stock 2nd half of June.

tanystropheus

I might be in the minority, but I think that CollectA's Acrocanthosaurus model is far superior in terms of aesthetics than their previously released Carcharodontosaurus. The proportions for the new model is also more believable. I also love the color applications on the Acro (when compared to the Carchar) and I don't normally praise CollectA's color choices.

The MiniZoo video does a great job highlighting  the latest four models in the CollectA series.

tanystropheus

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 09, 2015, 05:33:26 AM

I might be in the minority, but I think that CollectA's Acrocanthosaurus model is far superior in terms of aesthetics than their previously released Carcharodontosaurus. The proportions for the new model is also more believable. I also love the color applications on the Acro (when compared to the Carchar) and I don't normally praise CollectA's color choices.

The MiniZoo video does a great job highlighting  the latest four models in the CollectA series.

joossa

Going to go with Rebor for the Acro.
But wow, that feathered Rex sure is something. The pose is very nice too. My goodness...  :)
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Not that impressed with the Medusa, still many of  the same issues mentioned before, similar to the Acro and its shrink wrapped face, but I liked the feathered rex, although the colors are a bit gaudy to my eyes....but still artistic license and such allows it I think. I may well get the feathered model myself. Just a question and I am not that sure myself, but did the lower jaw seem to make the Acro skull look kind of distended or oddly shaped to anyone else? May just be my eyes, but I wondered if anyone else felt similar.

tanystropheus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 09, 2015, 08:30:42 AMJust a question and I am not that sure myself, but did the lower jaw seem to make the Acro skull look kind of distended or oddly shaped to anyone else? May just be my eyes, but I wondered if anyone else felt similar.

To be honest, I feel that the Carcharodontosaurus has a more distended (and, overall peculiar) head shape than the Acro...and it doesn't even have an articulated jaw to blame! It's head looks really stretched out to me...but what the heck do I know...it was, after all, one of the most popular models of last year  ;D

I agree, the feathered T-rex looks really nice - It just needs a new coat of paint (or better blending)

Dobber

Pretty much agree with the statements already made. I'll probably pass on the Acro but I'm getting 2 of those feathered Rex's. One to keep as is and the other to repaint. I'm a little disappointed, though, in the gaps around the head on both the Rex and the Acro. :-\

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: