News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Tyrannosaurus rex museum class replica official photos updated!

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, October 30, 2014, 04:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petebuster1

Quote from: SpittersForEver on December 30, 2014, 11:05:49 AM
Quote from: petebuster1 on December 30, 2014, 11:00:55 AM
I cant believe some of the ridiculous comments about the new rebor dinosaurs, comparing them to the papo toys and going on about the lack of feathers ::) Ive been waiting for years for a company to produce high quality models at a reasonable price and finally one has come along. When it come to accuracy its still a bit of conjecture as we're never going to see a living specimen to compare to so i think these wanna be Paleontologists should bear this in mind and as far as i'm aware Rebor are basing their models on some kind of evidence.
At last something that's equally as good as sideshow but without the ridiculous prices, i bought the first two for £80 and are easily worth that, if that's expensive to you then i can only assume your still at school and don't earn anything yet. In which case your better off buying the papa toys which are nowhere near the same quality.
Look forward to many more to come.

I'm not sure about that, although REBOR models are good (I can't wait for the 2015 range) they are not near the accuracy, amazing paint jobs and sculpts of Sideshow.
well you'd be paying 6 or 7 times more for two sideshow models which makes them far more value for money so i'll happily forgive any inaccuracy if there are many at all ? i'm no expert so it doesn't bother me that much, i certainly wouldn't say sideshow are any better excellent though they are, and not worth their prices

petebuster1

Quote from: SpittersForEver on December 30, 2014, 01:28:58 PM
Quote from: Tyrant Lizard Queen on December 30, 2014, 11:58:07 AM
I cant believe some of the ridiculous comments about the new rebor dinosaurs, comparing them to the papo toys and going on about the lack of feathers ::) Ive been waiting for years for a company to produce high quality models at a reasonable price and finally one has come along. When it come to accuracy its still a bit of conjecture as we're never going to see a living specimen to compare to so i think these wanna be Paleontologists should bear this in mind and as far as i'm aware Rebor are basing their models on some kind of evidence.
At last something that's equally as good as sideshow but without the ridiculous prices, i bought the first two for £80 and are easily worth that, if that's expensive to you then i can only assume your still at school and don't earn anything yet. In which case your better off buying the papa toys which are nowhere near the same quality.

I'm not sure about that, although REBOR models are good (I can't wait for the 2015 range) they are not near the accuracy, amazing paint jobs and sculpts of Sideshow.
I would disagree. I own three Sideshow models (two of them are T-Rexes) and I can tell you that there are also many innacuracies with them, especially on Spino statue. When it comes to detail and sculpting - the details are simply stunning on REBOR models. Same with the paint job and attention to all the little things (every single review that I've seen confirms that too).

As for price - it's more than fair. You are pretty much getting a Sideshow quality model (pretty Close) and it's not ridiculiously overpriced. Whoever compared it to Papo probably dont even own one. Plus Papo's are toys, while Rebor's, just like SS, are Statues that are only meant for display purpose.

If you ask me - 70$ is nowhere to be an overprice for such stunning museum quality replica. Atleast its not 350-500$ lol. Right now REBOR is the closest manufacturer to SS on the market, BUT with fair price and brilliant sculpting.

Well so far I haven't bought any REBOR models, I'm waiting for 2015 where hopefully they will release some better figures (not saying the current ones are that bad).
I was saying sideshow overpriced not Rebor, quite the opposite

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: petebuster1 on December 31, 2014, 02:22:28 PM

I would disagree. I own three Sideshow models (two of them are T-Rexes) and I can tell you that there are also many innacuracies with them, especially on Spino statue. When it comes to detail and sculpting - the details are simply stunning on REBOR models. Same with the paint job and attention to all the little things (every single review that I've seen confirms that too).

As for price - it's more than fair. You are pretty much getting a Sideshow quality model (pretty Close) and it's not ridiculiously overpriced. Whoever compared it to Papo probably dont even own one. Plus Papo's are toys, while Rebor's, just like SS, are Statues that are only meant for display purpose.

If you ask me - 70$ is nowhere to be an overprice for such stunning museum quality replica. Atleast its not 350-500$ lol. Right now REBOR is the closest manufacturer to SS on the market, BUT with fair price and brilliant sculpting.

Well so far I haven't bought any REBOR models, I'm waiting for 2015 where hopefully they will release some better figures (not saying the current ones are that bad).

Sideshow utilizes top paleo artists for the most part in creating their statues, people who do the footwork and research what they are creating. Not copying popular conceptions. Look up any of the artists who worked on the Dinosauria line and you can see who they are and their commitment to providing an accurate and interesting piece. Rebor, that I know of hasn't mentioned who sculpts their dinosaurs so far.

Overpriced? Not really. When you look at a resin model and the cost of having built/painted they are about the same. Professionally the resin kits are a bit more ( though still worth it). Steve Riojas paints all the masters we see if I recall correctly, a wonderful painter, but the production pieces are done by artists in Asian factories trying to match his paint jobs. They succeed to the point they are worth the cost I think so far..though it has been close on a couple of occasions.  So yes, at the time of their issue, the Sideshow Dinosauria pieces are worth the cost. Later on when they are harder find..well that's up to the individual.

They really are on a different level than Rebor.

tyrantqueen

I agree Botm, Rebor have some nice sculpts but they cannot be compared to Sideshow statues.

For the record- I don't hate Rebor and I don't think they're bad figures. They're just not on the same level as Sideshow.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 31, 2014, 06:32:31 PM
I agree Botm, Rebor have some nice sculpts but they cannot be compared to Sideshow statues.

For the record- I don't hate Rebor and I don't think they're bad figures. They're just not on the same level as Sideshow.

Same here, I don't "hate" any dinosaur ( though the JP3 repaints are working a nerve)..I may have a preference or two of where my money goes but they are still dinosaurs.

Rebor has potential but they need to do more research if they care to be taken seriously. That's my current stand. 

Patrx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 31, 2014, 07:08:45 PM
Rebor has potential but they need to do more research if they care to be taken seriously. That's my current stand.

Precisely! Well-said, Blade.

For myself, my attitude toward REBOR will remain politely dismissive unless and until they decide to aim for accuracy instead of just talking about it on their boxes.

Paleogene Pals

As a potential owner of two, maybe three, Sideshow pieces. I say they are worth every penny. Seriously, if I got an Apatosaurus resin kit and had it professionally built and painted, it would easily cost me in the $400-$500 range. Even at its higher price, the Sideshow Apatosaurus is the better deal. Plus, you really can't compare REBOR to Sideshow since REBOR makes their pieces at a smaller scale than most of Sideshow's. How much would REBOR pieces be if they were in the 1/25-1/15 scale range, probably more comparable in price.

Paleogene Pals

BOTM, I saw pics of your T-rex, magnificent job! However, I think I would be a little unnerved having him towering over me and staring me down.  :-[

DinoLord

Quote from: Patrx on December 31, 2014, 07:21:03 PM
For myself, my attitude toward REBOR will remain politely dismissive unless and until they decide to aim for accuracy instead of just talking about it on their boxes.

Agreed. If they'd put the effort in to pay more attention to accuracy they could easily be one of the market's most revered brands. Personally I think their models are beautifully produced but not quite worth the high price given the inaccuracies. I do look forward to seeing their future models though - if their accuracy improves they will be must-haves!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on December 31, 2014, 11:59:48 PM
As a potential owner of two, maybe three, Sideshow pieces. I say they are worth every penny. Seriously, if I got an Apatosaurus resin kit and had it professionally built and painted, it would easily cost me in the $400-$500 range. Even at its higher price, the Sideshow Apatosaurus is the better deal. Plus, you really can't compare REBOR to Sideshow since REBOR makes their pieces at a smaller scale than most of Sideshow's. How much would REBOR pieces be if they were in the 1/25-1/15 scale range, probably more comparable in price.

I really forgot about the scale issue, good point. :)

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on January 01, 2015, 12:09:22 AM
BOTM, I saw pics of your T-rex, magnificent job! However, I think I would be a little unnerved having him towering over me and staring me down.  :-[

It was! At least until we added our adult Triceratops..now I worry Stan has bitten off more than he chew.. lol

Quote from: DinoLord on January 01, 2015, 12:37:29 AM
Quote from: Patrx on December 31, 2014, 07:21:03 PM

Agreed. If they'd put the effort in to pay more attention to accuracy they could easily be one of the market's most revered brands. Personally I think their models are beautifully produced but not quite worth the high price given the inaccuracies. I do look forward to seeing their future models though - if their accuracy improves they will be must
-haves!

Exactly, if they could only get a good paleontologist or paleo-artist behind them..likely as not I'd be interested than them all.

petebuster1

To be honest does anyone care who paints them? It's irrelevant and of course people that collect sideshow will say theyre better, they have to justify paying so much and resin isn't exactly gold. I've had two sideshow models and yes they're great but in terms of quality Rebor match them and are better value

tyrantqueen

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 01, 2015, 08:41:52 PM

To be honest does anyone care who paints them? It's irrelevant and of course people that collect sideshow will say theyre better, they have to justify paying so much and resin isn't exactly gold. I've had two sideshow models and yes they're great but in terms of quality Rebor match them and are better value
I never mentioned painting in my post.

Btw I don't own any Sideshows (yet).

petebuster1

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 31, 2014, 05:04:02 PM
Quote from: petebuster1 on December 31, 2014, 02:22:28 PM

Sideshow utilizes top paleo artists for the most part in creating their statues, people who do the footwork and research what they are creating. Not copying popular conceptions. Look up any of the artists who worked on the Dinosauria line and you can see who they are and their commitment to providing an accurate and interesting piece. Rebor, that I know of hasn't mentioned who sculpts their dinosaurs so far.

Overpriced? Not really. When you look at a resin model and the cost of having built/painted they are about the same. Professionally the resin kits are a bit more ( though still worth it). Steve Riojas paints all the masters we see if I recall correctly, a wonderful painter, but the production pieces are done by artists in Asian factories trying to match his paint jobs. They succeed to the point they are worth the cost I think so far..though it has been close on a couple of occasions.  So yes, at the time of their issue, the Sideshow Dinosauria pieces are worth the cost. Later on when they are harder find..well that's up to the individual.

They really are on a different level than Rebor.
To be honest does anyone care who paints them? It's irrelevant and of course people that collect sideshow will say theyre better, they have to justify paying so much and resin isn't exactly gold. I've had two sideshow models and yes they're great but in terms of quality Rebor match them and are better value, making them limited editions doesn't justify it either, scond ones on ebay go for quite a bit less on the second hand market which says it all really.

petebuster1

Lets not forget Rebor have only only produced 2 models so being negative about is a little premature just because there wasn't enough feathers on one of them for some people

postsaurischian

:-[ I never thought I'd be entering this discussion.

As some might know I love REBOR :)!  ... and I'll probably buy every figure they're releasing if they keep up their great quality and the 1:35 scale.
But I'd be pleased if we could stop the Sideshow comparison - this is accomplished absurdism! They're playing in different leagues, they might be even in a different form of sport ;D.
If I hold a Tyrannosaurus skull replica (which means a downsized copy of a real skull) next to the Sideshow T. rex, I can clearly see that there is no Dinosaur sculptur who can do such wonderful tyrant lizards as perfect as David Krentz :D. You can't compare it to any other figure ;D. ....... o.k., Shinzen maybe :-\.
We also do not have to discuss which one is the more accurate. It's sooo obvious (.... but one does not really have to care, so what the hey?)!

..... still loving the REBOR rex. They're just too different to be compared.

....... and yes, some people (me included) do care about who's painting a figure. It's part of the art and there are GREAT differences :).

petebuster1

There is little point comparing you buy whatever you want. Though I totally disagree Rebor and sideshow are not so far apart at all, far from it the evidence is their to see but they are from from the likes of papo etc

tyrantqueen

Quotescond ones on ebay go for quite a bit less on the second hand market which says it all really.
Please show me where I can find them for less, I'd really like to get my hands on a Sideshow for less than the retail ;) I'm not making fun of you or anything, I'm genuinely curious.

I believe the original SS Tyrannosaurus sold for $209 (now sold out):

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/dinosauria-tyrannosaurus-rex-sideshow-collectibles-2000151/

And here we have it selling for over a thousand dollars:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIDESHOW-TYRANNOSAURUS-REX-Dinosauria-Maquette-First-Edition-Dinosauria-/381108144325?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58bbd0c8c5

DinoLord

Yeah, that is one that I really regret missing out on (I was very young at the time). I'm curious to see what the secondhand market prices for the limited edition Triceratops hatchling will end up looking like, as that's the most comparable product to Sideshow that Rebor will be releasing for the foreseeable future.

petebuster1

I'm talking about when people start at low price on auction, not that I've seen any lately but over 1k is it worth 50 times more than the rebor version? No way I think this is a seller hoping someone is stupid enough to buy it, I've seen one for £419 and though I do think it's a little better than the rebor version it's still not worth 10 times the price

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: