News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Tyrannosaurus rex museum class replica official photos updated!

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, October 30, 2014, 04:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

sorry for going even further off topic, but the novel had both mongoliensis (in the park) and antirrhopus (in mention of Grants research)

Paleogene Pals

Time to chime in! It's starting all over again...the pettiness...the bickering...the nitpickiness.

REBOR is making toys, period. We seem to be worried that JP, Papo, and all the other toy companies are giving the average public the wrong idea of dinosaurs. Newsflash, I doubt even if scientifically-accurate figures came out, people would suddenly become enlightened. Somebody photoshops a wolf spider onto the side of a house, and people are telling me there are house-sized spiders out there because they saw it on the internet.  Ebola patients are sent to Omaha, and there are some people in my town that are convinced that Ebola is going to "escape" Omaha and come here. People will believe what they want to believe because it fulfills a need not because it is logical. JP dinos strike a chord so some people think JP dinos no matter what else they are shown.

I think we need to relax and tell ourselves these are just toys. REBOR is making things they think will sell. I'm sure accuracy is important to them, but the bottom line is will it make them money? 

As for originality, isn't everybody just ripping off Mother Nature anyway?

Nebuloid

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on November 02, 2014, 03:24:06 PM
Time to chime in! It's starting all over again...the pettiness...the bickering...the nitpickiness.

REBOR is making toys, period. We seem to be worried that JP, Papo, and all the other toy companies are giving the average public the wrong idea of dinosaurs. Newsflash, I doubt even if scientifically-accurate figures came out, people would suddenly become enlightened. Somebody photoshops a wolf spider onto the side of a house, and people are telling me there are house-sized spiders out there because they saw it on the internet.  Ebola patients are sent to Omaha, and there are some people in my town that are convinced that Ebola is going to "escape" Omaha and come here. People will believe what they want to believe because it fulfills a need not because it is logical. JP dinos strike a chord so some people think JP dinos no matter what else they are shown.

I think we need to relax and tell ourselves these are just toys. REBOR is making things they think will sell. I'm sure accuracy is important to them, but the bottom line is will it make them money? 

As for originality, isn't everybody just ripping off Mother Nature anyway?

Hear, hear !

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 02, 2014, 03:10:35 PM
sorry for going even further off topic, but the novel had both mongoliensis (in the park) and antirrhopus (in mention of Grants research)
Oh!  I haven't read the novel (maybe I should!) and I'd read somewhere it was only antirrhopus in the novel.  Thanks for pointing this out!  I can see now what I read was wrong.  I think this is likely why the JP Velociraptors look the way they do: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/you-say-velociraptor-i-say-deinonychus-33789870/?no-ist

I'm up for the discussion becoming friendlier!

Dinoguy2

REBOR is making toys, period.

Except when they're making toys by ripping off other people's work. I know this particular case happens to be the work of a corporation and not an independent paleoartst like all the ones being plagiarized in the Geoworld thread etc., but please don't pretend this is not an important issue in general.

You know who created designs they thought would sell? Vladimir Nikolov. And they did sell, he just didn't get any of the money, because Geoworld stole his designs the same way Rebor is stealing designs. http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2689.0 And now this company which is committing blatant paleoart theft is not only allowed to advertise for free on this forum (stealing ad space which technically they would otherwise have to pay for), but people are sticking up for them!

Buying anything that is directly stolen from another artist supports a pervasive culture of plagiarism in dinosaur toys, art, etc. and is unethical. Period.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Alexxitator

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on November 02, 2014, 04:13:18 PM

REBOR is making toys, period.

...Except when they're making toys by ripping off other people's work....

...Buying anything that is directly stolen from another artist supports a pervasive culture of plagiarism in dinosaur toys, art, etc. and is unethical. Period...

I'm sorry, but whose work are you referring to? Making things in a certain style is by no means ripping off. Rebor is not even mentioned in that thread you are referring to.

And indeed:
QuoteIt's starting all over again...the pettiness...the bickering...the nitpickiness.
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

Dinoguy2

Deleted and moved to correct thread
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

tyrantqueen

QuoteThe poses are similar, but I don't think that necessarily means the Yutyrannus was influenced by the Papo Allosaurus.  There's a limited amount of walking poses for theropods, which is more noticeable due to REBOR_STUDIO's sculpting being of a similar style to Papo's.  The Wild Safari Acrocanthosaurus is also in a similar pose to the Papo Allosaurus and REBOR Yutyrannus.  I don't think any of these were influenced by each other, although maybe some influencing happened.
And yet the Safari Acrocanthosaurus bears no resemblance to the Papo Allosaurus. The sculpting style is completely different. Taking into account the comments he posted on the knockoff thread, Doug Watson seems to be a guy who makes an effort to sculpt original models. It doesn't seem in character for him to copy an existing sculpt. But I don't know him personally so I cannot say.

Whereas looking at the Rebor model and the Papo Allosaurus together, it's undeniable there is an influence.

Look at the way the tail curves in the allo...it's also the same in the Rebor. It goes up into the air and then dips down again. And how the muscles bulge under the skin. See how the gastrocnemius bulges on each of the calves...it's copied in the Rebor model.

And of course, there is the moveable jaw...

Sim

As I said, I don't think any of these were influenced by each other, although maybe some influencing happened.  I don't think the WS Acrocanthosaurus was influenced by any other figure.  I mentioned its pose being similar to the other 2 figures to support my thought that the Yutyrannus's similarities to the Allosaurus might be coincidences.  There are similarities between the 2, but there are differences which make me unable to feel sure one influenced the other.  To me it seems the similarities between the Allo and Yu are things one could easily think of when making a theropod toy, even without knowledge of existing toys with those features.  The 2 figures' leg muscles are quite similar though.

amanda

It is not the pose, but the detailing that seem to heavily invoke a Papo feeling. As for the Tyrannosaurus Rex, it is the design over-all, but mostly the head details that seem JP influenced. Though this is what happens when assuming one knows what the animal was, instead of doing the research. I feel criticism is ok if not taken to an extreme. Feed back is ok. I feel if they are going to continue the "museum quality" style hype, then we need to be clear on what that means. And for me, it means some scientific research went into it. Maybe even just a quick google search for Tyrannosaurus skulls, for kicks. Under that title, I expect somewhat correct proportions. I expect correctly short arms. Things like that. Detailing is more or less speculative and artistic preference, so that doesn't bother me. In the case of this statue, something about the feet bother me. The raised and grasping foot looks oddly elongated, especially compared to the standing foot. Which is why I need to see better pictures to be sure it is not an odd angle type of thing. As it stands, this figure is not too much different then than Papo's running Rex. The level of detail seems comparable. The style it the same. The size will be about the same. But the price will be substantially more. Unlike the Yutyrannus at the time, we can directly compare the two JP inspired figures. Right now this thing comes down to the feet and price for me.

I don't think admin or anyone said don't critique it. Just use constructive criticism and not just rip in with overly negative words. I am actually curious if Rebor has any thoughts on the matter? Or on my concerns. A dialog would be interesting I think. We have been able to have enlightening engagements with both Doug and Dan. I would like to know from Rebor what criteria and research they use before committing to the final sculpt? And whether they are even interested in our thoughts as opposed to just selling the item?

Federreptil

It's a very nice T-Rex sculpt and naturally it's a descendent of the T-Rex interpretation of the Stan Winston Studio and the design by Crash McCreery. Like the JP-Merchandise, like Papo and Sideshow. This is most dramatic in the poses and often spectacular. And it is a view twenty years ago. For me all this is more a style than plagiarism.

But in the eighties Invictas are in some sculpts inspired by Charles Knight and the murals of Zallinger. This are sometimes more than fifty years back. When Schleich presented its Brachiosaurus with museum affirmation you see the odd standing of the first reconstruction of 1937 while in the same time the skeleton in Berlin was reworked. The most companies who sell dinosaur models and replicas are not in the front row of the science. If it's only twenty years back its normal. If you see Schleich, it's a turnaround to colorfull child toys for a generation of Ice Age and Disney's Dinosaurs. There is only a small educational approach in the industry. Sometimes I wonder, maybe it's a good strategy of the companies not to overburden the grandparents, moms and dads: give their money the dinos they already know.

So I'm always more surprised about the truly educational engagement of Kaiyodo. If you know the german 'Ü-Eier' (Surprise Eggs) from Ferrero with their clumpsy kiddie-style content, it's fantastic what wonderful and precise models kids in Japan can collect. Especially marine species.

The most vivid scene for the discuss of a modern interpretation of dinosaurs you will find in the shapeways models and some resin models because this great sculptors work for their own delight, for the real fans and for the ideals, which here in the forum are also common. This is our specific territory and we have to be kind to the toys.

TJ_Terrorsaur

Wow this looks really nice. He really really does, and if I had the space for him I'd be throwing money at my computer screen right now. Maybe one day in a year or two I can buy myself this awesome model. I love the pose and the darker paint on him, it reminds me of the older black & white movies. :D I wonder though how much would The King weigh?

Rathalosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 02, 2014, 06:38:18 PM
QuoteThe poses are similar, but I don't think that necessarily means the Yutyrannus was influenced by the Papo Allosaurus.  There's a limited amount of walking poses for theropods, which is more noticeable due to REBOR_STUDIO's sculpting being of a similar style to Papo's.  The Wild Safari Acrocanthosaurus is also in a similar pose to the Papo Allosaurus and REBOR Yutyrannus.  I don't think any of these were influenced by each other, although maybe some influencing happened.
And yet the Safari Acrocanthosaurus bears no resemblance to the Papo Allosaurus. The sculpting style is completely different. Taking into account the comments he posted on the knockoff thread, Doug Watson seems to be a guy who makes an effort to sculpt original models. It doesn't seem in character for him to copy an existing sculpt. But I don't know him personally so I cannot say.

Whereas looking at the Rebor model and the Papo Allosaurus together, it's undeniable there is an influence.

Look at the way the tail curves in the allo...it's also the same in the Rebor. It goes up into the air and then dips down again. And how the muscles bulge under the skin. See how the gastrocnemius bulges on each of the calves...it's copied in the Rebor model.

And of course, there is the moveable jaw...

Your totally right. I said the same in their Topic.
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Paleogene Pals

Well, at any rate, if I am throwing any money at a T-rex, it will be the new Sideshow one. However, the comparison between the Papo Allosaurus and the REBOR Yutyrannus does raise some curious inquiries. 

postsaurischian

C:-) Off topic! I don't know why you chose the T. rex thread for the Yutyrannus discussion.
       I've sent my comment  here.

Rathalosaurus

I think REBOR, that some coloured images would be nice.
And I give you an advice: Make your own, original Versions of Dinosaurs. Don't try to copy Films or other Brandmark's figurines. Your sculpting is very, very nice and I am sure, that your Versions of some Dinosaur species are also very, very nice. But, anyway, just an advice.
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

amanda

Still waiting for better pictures and price, as these will seriously affect my buying decision.

REBOR_STUDIO

TGIF! The week almost ends and as promised, now it's time to reveal the mighty King T-rex in colour! Furious RED truly represents wrath and power of this tyrant, and the moss covered rock base just adds more details to the whole diorama! Like the Yutyrannus huali, luxurious gift packaging and a beautiful collectible bio card will also come along with the replica.

Behold! More awesome pictures are on the way~

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Nebuloid

Looks like the Sega dinoking T-rex paint scheme, which is not a bad thing ! Still wish it was grey like the preview... ;)
I do really want it though.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: