News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Tyrannosaurus rex museum class replica official photos updated!

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, October 30, 2014, 04:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amanda

I am tempted to agree with TQ. All the way down to the stupid feet. I'd say it is very similar indeed, but then REBOR might PM me again. It is always so bracing to find the companies have written you to set you straight. (not joking)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 17, 2014, 07:46:20 PM
I wish Master Fossil would get it's deals straightened out.  I can see the Velociraptor's tail feathers there...wanted that one since I saw it.
Are there any other pictures of Master Fossil's models? I couldn't find any.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Manatee

Oh dear, as if we needed another controversy...
Anyway, great find. It's almost as if they just glued a T. rex head onto the Master Fossil model, because it's the same right down to the bumps on its back. 

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Yutyrannus on November 18, 2014, 12:49:05 AM
I wish Master Fossil would get it's deals straightened out.  I can see the Velociraptor's tail feathers there...wanted that one since I saw it.
Sorry about the bad photography, but they advertise their stuff regularly in PT (which is weird because their stuff isn't available anyway for purchase, not even in Japan afaik)

The velociraptor looks gorgeous (despite its inaccuracies)

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Velociraptor skeleton and the fleshed out T-Rex are the only available ones I'm aware of..I assumed they would issue new ones after that but it's been years.   Dan once said they were working on their marketing..but it's been awhile.

Invicta Hunter

I had a friend contact them and they told him these figures are still coming out but their behind schedule.
I think the photo i posted of the Carno was taken in 2012 so their WAY behind, fingers crossed they actually release them.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amanda on November 18, 2014, 12:30:42 AM
I am tempted to agree with TQ. All the way down to the stupid feet. I'd say it is very similar indeed, but then REBOR might PM me again. It is always so bracing to find the companies have written you to set you straight. (not joking)
I'm trying to say this without being harsh....hmm. Personally it frustrates me a little bit. They are asking $40 for this model but it's not even a hundred percent original. And yes, the previous Yutyrannus was undeniably similar to the Papo Allo.

The only thing I can say again is this- Rebor, I implore you to attempt to be more original with your sculpts instead of taking the easy way out and copying another artist's sculpts. You're only just starting out in this field so you have much potential for the future :)

I know this topic has been done to death but I assume that Rebor want feedback on their stuff from us forumites, otherwise they would not have bothered to post here.

sauroid

and i hope they listen to the DTF feedbacks, after all , they are targeting the dinosaur collectors market, and the DTF is THE (one and only) dino/prehistoric toy/figures collectors forum...
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Paleogene Pals

I have never heard of Master Fossil until today. The Velociraptor is a really beautiful piece...except for the hands which are jarring to me. As for REBOR, theropods such as T-rex have been done to death. If they really want to make a name for themselves, they should tackle species not done very often by other companies. I think they would do a good job and escape the charges of not being original.

amanda

Well, they did do a Yutyrannus first...which is a little more original for a toy. If toy it is. As a high end statue, there are tons and tons of lesser known species done extremely well. I think they may find themselves disappointed straddling the line like that. If toyss, then they are too expensive. If statues, too inaccurate to really compete with others. It's an odd position to take.

Arul

Original or not, accurate or not, etc for me its not a big deal im not a perfectionist person and we cant have everything. Love take it hate leave it, hope rebor give an explanation to make this clear from gossip  :)

Dinomike

To me both of Rebor's dinosaurs look solid in terms of being original pieces. Yes, there are similarities to some other brands but so what? Their overall concept and branding seem new
to me. Remember Papo Carnotaurus? In this case we're not even talking about the same species!  :)
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

amanda

Could owners of the REBOR Yutyrannus evaluate the quality/warping potential of the plastic? Because this Rex looks....vulnerable. Little rock base included, if that support leg warps even a little, it looks to all fall over?

postsaurischian

There's obviously no plagiarism in REBOR's sculpts even though the self-proclaimed DTF Dinosaur police is desperately trying to say so. Repeating those untenable reproaches over and over again doesn't make them more veritable.
As if there hadn't been other theropod sculpts with one feet standing on some kind of rock ::). Honestly!
If you don't like the figures, that's okay - go ahead and care for the ones you do like!

tyrantqueen

QuoteThere's obviously no plagiarism in REBOR's sculpts even though the self-proclaimed DTF Dinosaur police is desperately trying to say so. Repeating those untenable reproaches over and over again doesn't make them more veritable.
I never claimed I was part of any DTF "police". Not sure where that idea came from.

Sure, let's agree to disagree about the "plagiarism" thing.

amanda

Yes. But I still want to know about the quality of the material from objective owners. When I compared the Yutyrannus to the Papo figures the same size (having meant the size, style and detail level), they wrote me to chastise me about it. They attempted to correct me by writing a paragraph about their super duper seamless production and high end collector target and quality. So, since I am being called to task on my opinion, I want to know what these things feel like, and how well they hold up. Seems fair enough.

And, before it is asked, I **am** being civil and keeping sarcasm in check, compared to how I truly feel about their sending me the dandy missive.

As for plagiarism, I would not use the word desperate, no. The figures are very similar. And yea, any ole theropod can be randomly posed like this, but I look at the colors, exact positioning. It IS similar. As the Yutyrannus is to Papo's Allosaurus. Not exact copies, but very similar making this two for two on their figures. Is it possible some of the Papo sculptors work for them? That would explain the style.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 18, 2014, 09:01:52 AM
I'm trying to say this without being harsh....hmm. Personally it frustrates me a little bit. They are asking $40 for this model but it's not even a hundred percent original. And yes, the previous Yutyrannus was undeniably similar to the Papo Allo.

The only thing I can say again is this- Rebor, I implore you to attempt to be more original with your sculpts instead of taking the easy way out and copying another artist's sculpts. You're only just starting out in this field so you have much potential for the future :)

I know this topic has been done to death but I assume that Rebor want feedback on their stuff from us forumites, otherwise they would not have bothered to post here.

According to REBOR's site they posted earlier here where they're selling these first two figures, the T.rex is $64.99 USD and the Yutyrannis is $39.99 USD. But the markup for retail stores seems like it will be quite a bit more. For example, Megalosaurus had mentioned that "Everything Dinosaur is going to be selling the Y.Rex in a few days, the price is unbeatable." Unfortunately when I checked Everything Dinosaur, I found they're selling the Y.rex for 32.99 GBP, or $51.79 USD!

So for US buyers, I recommend getting them direct from this site that REBOR posted...
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=2206&category=6143

And personally, I don't think REBOR started posting here to get our feedback. This place is a goldmine for prospective new buyers. We're a sitting duck for new companies looking to build their clientele! 8)

Arul

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on November 21, 2014, 03:33:04 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 18, 2014, 09:01:52 AM

And personally, I don't think REBOR started posting here to get our feedback. This place is a goldmine for prospective new buyers. We're a sitting duck for new companies looking to build their clientele! 8)

Sometimes communication is more important than promotion..

Takama

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 18, 2014, 08:49:14 AM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on November 18, 2014, 12:49:05 AM
Sorry about the bad photography, but they advertise their stuff regularly in PT (which is weird because their stuff isn't available anyway for purchase, not even in Japan afaik)

The velociraptor looks gorgeous (despite its inaccuracies)

Very cool!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: