News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Claw length?

Started by alexeratops, November 05, 2014, 02:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexeratops

Hi, I was just looking at my CollectA Carchar and I noticed the the claws on the feet seem unusually long. Is this correct?

like a bantha!

Yutyrannus

No, that isn't correct. I really don't know why Collecta does that. Honestly if it weren't for that this would probably be One of the best dinosaur figures ever made. I'm still planning on buying this model, though.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Takama

They were made like that in order for the model to stand perfectly. Though instead of over-sizing the feet, they just did it to the claws.

amargasaurus cazaui

Always surprised by how people rave about this figure despite the almost skeletal head, with the fenestrae so obvious
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

alexeratops

Quote from: Takama on November 05, 2014, 05:22:48 AM
They were made like that in order for the model to stand perfectly. Though instead of over-sizing the feet, they just did it to the claws.
I think the least they could do is paint it so the claws look shorter.

Thanks for the input guys! :D
like a bantha!

triceratops83

They should paint them red so it looks like a secretary Carcharodontosaurus with manicured nails. Sit it behind a desk with a telephone. ;)
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 05, 2014, 01:31:48 PM
Always surprised by how people rave about this figure despite the almost skeletal head, with the fenestrae so obvious

Because this is the only alternative?

It's certainly not a flawless model. But honestly (and I can only speak for myself), shrink wrapped dinosaurs don't really bother me. I like the look.

tyrantqueen

I might be in a minority, but I still love GSP's art style, even though some may consider it "shrink wrapped". I think Dale Russell's dinosaurs are worse.

It doesn't even look like it has room for its internal organs (I know Ely Kish was the artist who created this piece, but it was under Dale Russell's instruction so he is really to blame for the emaciated look).

Patrx

GSP has definitely done a lot of good for palaeoart over the years, and he is talented. Even so, if a dinosaur model has visible skull fenestrae, I'm much more inclined to leave it out of my collection. It's distracting, and even if I liked the look from an aesthetic standpoint, it's not workable from a scientific one.

In the case of the CollectA Carcharodontosaurus, I might have forgiven the elongated foot claws (I could hide them behind something else on the shelf), but that skeletal head just doesn't cut it.

stargatedalek

what bugs me is that the emaciated skull doesn't suit the plump realistically bulked body, if the body was also shrink wrapped it might be less noticeable on the skull (but then the body would be shrink wrapped :P )
the claws I can forgive since thats done for balance sake