News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA New Spinosaurus (based on most recent information)

Started by Concavenator, November 22, 2014, 04:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

suspsy

I sent off my request for a new Spinosaurus and a Crushed Mapusaurus.:)
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SBell

:-\
Quote from: Concavenator on November 25, 2014, 03:11:20 PM
What did Anthony tell you?

Honestly not much. As I've said below, he mentioned that a few things were already being worked on, but didn't say what (if he had, I wouldn't say anyway--I'd rather stay on his good side!).

For the Spino, I got the impression that he is not sold on the knuckle-walking, preferring instead the alternative plantigrade position posited by the National Geographic article.

And if they were working on it, they wouldn't say anyway; it's a very competitive market, and revealing info on development is a good way to get scooped.

suspsy

I got this response from Esther:

Many thanks for your suggestion and your support to CollectA.  We will keep the info and discuss with our consultant & team of this for the future product development.

Brief and polite, leaves me with hope.

suspsy

And just this morning I received this email from GM Peter Leung:

Thanks for your suggestion, we will seriously consider what you suggest

Again, short and polite and encouraging.

triceratops83

It would be great in a full-on undulating swimming pose, with a clear plastic base. Collecta's pretty innovative - this doesn't seem like such a far out idea.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

suspsy

A swimming pose would also allow CollectA to sideskirt the issue of how exactly Spinosaurus' front limbs were placed when it walked on land.

stargatedalek

hopefully not an affixed base, something like what (IIRC it was) Invicta had for their marine animals

Dinomike

I got this reply from CollectA today:
" Thanks, we will seriously [consider] your suggestion.

Best Regards

Peter Leung
General Manager"

I hope this is a good sign!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

TJ_Terrorsaur

OOOH That does sound awesome. I'll keep my good lucky dinosaurs close!

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 10, 2014, 06:11:04 PM
hopefully not an affixed base, something like what (IIRC it was) Invicta had for their marine animals

What if they did what McFarlane did with his dragons?

The dragon and base are connected by a little metal post, and even that is detachable from both.

Meso-Cenozoic

I still think it's too early to get the definitive new look. But I believe everyone's on board now that he was an aquatic dinosaur. So if a figure were to be made, I'd also like a swimming pose. And like Suspsy mentioned, it would solve the issue about how he got around on land.

If CollectA would just follow the new swimming skeletal mount, they couldn't go wrong. (Or could they? Isn't the length of the hind legs still being disputed?)

I like the idea of a landscaped base like McFarlane used. But, I'd like the post to be made of a clear acrylic instead of metal, similar to what Kaiyodo uses.

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on December 11, 2014, 05:06:21 AM
I still think it's too early to get the definitive new look. But I believe everyone's on board now that he was an aquatic dinosaur. So if a figure were to be made, I'd also like a swimming pose. And like Suspsy mentioned, it would solve the issue about how he got around on land.

If CollectA would just follow the new swimming skeletal mount, they couldn't go wrong. (Or could they? Isn't the length of the hind legs still being disputed?)

I like the idea of a landscaped base like McFarlane used. But, I'd like the post to be made of a clear acrylic instead of metal, similar to what Kaiyodo uses.

^_^ I'm a big McFarlane fan. Anyhow I love the clear post idea! :D

stargatedalek

the hindleg dispute started when the first official diagrams released didn't state the method of measuring clearly enough, which caused people to try it themselves and get new estimates, the publishers of the paper released more detailed instructions and diagrams and a general consensus was met that the leg estimates are correct

DinoLord

Yeah the full paper isn't even out yet (possibly related to the page limits of the journal they chose for the initial press release). I'm all for embracing new discoveries and developments, but I think already goading companies to make a new figure based off this is jumping the gun. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and we have yet to see all of the latter (such as justification for the unprecedented quadripedal gait).

stargatedalek

I had been under the impression that there was no direct evidence for such a gait, and it was largely conjecture presumed by supposed difficulty balancing on its hind limbs
from my best interpretation; it may have held its forelimbs out of the way and pushed itself along like a grebe, or staggered on its small hindlimbs, or perhaps even reared up backwards and hobbled like a retro styled theropod, the walking on its knuckles like an anteater is just one of any number of possibilities (and just happened to be the one the authors favored)

Sim

Quote from: amanda on November 22, 2014, 08:46:20 PM
Rush one through now, and then find out next year it is off? Why? I would not if I were a toy company, even one as brave as CollectA.
Quote from: laticauda on November 24, 2014, 09:54:10 PM
Great Idea, but if they are smart, they will take the time to do the research first (not just slap it on a plastic lunch box and sell it).  That way they can come up with a dynamic pose, and accurate representation of the current ideas on the animal.
Quote from: DinoLord on December 11, 2014, 03:38:38 PM
Yeah the full paper isn't even out yet (possibly related to the page limits of the journal they chose for the initial press release). I'm all for embracing new discoveries and developments, but I think already goading companies to make a new figure based off this is jumping the gun. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and we have yet to see all of the latter (such as justification for the unprecedented quadripedal gait).
I completely agree.  I noticed that in the pictures that went with the release of the newest Spinosaurus information, Spinosaurus was shown with different leg lengths in different pictures!  So it seems that still no-one knows what length its legs were.

Regarding Spinosaurus appearing in Jurassic World, I haven't seen anything that confirms that.  It's one of the species listed on the display in the park, but that doesn't mean it will make an actual appearance.

stargatedalek

the legs length is known, the initial debate over it has been had and a general consensus has agreed that the legs are the length they are in the published skeletal

Sim

If that's the case I wonder why in the life restorations of Spinosaurus that went with the release of the new information it was shown with varying leg lengths?  This also happened in "Bigger Than T. rex" which others in the thread about it noticed (last 2 posts on page 1): http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2693.0

stargatedalek

simple, its because Nat Geo has yet to produce a 100% accurate documentary :P

really though I think its probably because they were being made before the paper was finished, so some parts were done before all the information had been finalized

Concavenator

A swimming pose would be very difficult to make without a base.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: