News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Die-cast Jurassic Park miniatures

Started by DinoToyForum, April 15, 2012, 03:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

I recently rediscovered this set of die-cast Jurassic Park miniatures that have been boxed up for years. Some of them are better than others and some are really lovely. I think this is the whole set?

The base has a little notch on the back, where I presume one can slot the corresponding collectors card that came with the figures (but that I have misplaced).

Here's the appropriate page for these nice little figures over at jptoys.com:
http://www.jptoys.com/collectible-database/die-cast/jurassic-park/index.htm

Horridus

I have some of these (Triceratops, T. rex, Ceratosaurus, Dimetrodon, Stegosaurus, Plesiosaurus and Ankylosaurus as I recall), sadly with varying degrees of paint wear. As a kid I had the Velociraptor and Brachiosaurus (but not anymore), and the former appeared on my birthday cake once...I should dig that picture out, there was a Styracosaurus made from fondant too...

I would really like the colourful Parasaurolophus and Dilophosaurus with babies!
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

DinoToyForum

I had that birthday cake too! There were also fudge dinosaur eggs, yes?  :P

Horridus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 15, 2012, 07:18:50 PM
I had that birthday cake too! There were also fudge dinosaur eggs, yes?  :P
Yes. There were.

Oh dear.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Himmapaan

Quote from: Horridus on April 15, 2012, 06:54:17 PM
I should dig that picture out...

Yes, please.

I had one or two of these too, long ago. They may have been the T.rex and Dimetrodon. I can't remember now...

Horridus

Quote from: Himmapaan on April 15, 2012, 07:48:10 PM
Yes, please.
OK then. Unfortunately, it turns out that it's out of focus and horrible.

But you can see the JP die-cast on top there. This is from my sixth birthday in 1993.

There is also a pic of me blowing out the candles. No, you can't see it.
@Mhorridus

stoneage

Quote from: Horridus on April 15, 2012, 08:04:25 PM
Quote from: Himmapaan on April 15, 2012, 07:48:10 PM
Yes, please.
OK then. Unfortunately, it turns out that it's out of focus and horrible.

But you can see the JP die-cast on top there. As you can see, this is from my fifth birthday in 1993.

There is also a pic of me blowing out the candles. No, you can't see it.

Oh please let us see it!

DinoToyForum

Ah! That's the cake! It must have been, what, my 13th Birthday. It was an official Jurassic Park cake if I recall correctly. I was chuffed to bits with it. And the fudge was delicious, hence it sticking in my memory all these years.  ;D
Please, you must share the photo of you blowing out the candles. There is a strong possibility I have a similar photo of me doing the same  :))

Is there really scope for a thread dedicated to dinosaur birthday cakes? If so, it's time to do some topic splitting...

Gwangi

I had nearly that entire collection of di-cast minis when I was a kid. Like most of my dinosaur paraphernalia they're long gone. I'm still debating on if I want to re-acquire them or not.

Horridus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 15, 2012, 09:26:14 PM
Please, you must share the photo of you blowing out the candles. There is a strong possibility I have a similar photo of me doing the same  :))
Maybe. The thing I was, I was 6 years old...and wearing a fetching Jurassic Park tracksuit thing.

Oh good grief.
@Mhorridus

DinoToyForum

Crackington

Nice cake, I'll tell Mrs Crackington ( :-*) who loves to bake!

I collected these figures fairly recently as I think they are mint and often overlooked by dino collectors.  I also like the fact that they were made in Portuguese Macau, which is now also part of China like Hong Kong (i.e. they have a "historical" feel to them).

I do have some spare ones, including the Dilophosaurus and babies, so if anyone wants to buy/trade please let me know.

BTW - my four year old watched Jurassic Park 1 and 3 with me over the weekend for the first time. She was pretty scared during the first, but found part 3 a bit easier to watch. Her favourite moment was the pternaodons flying off into the sunset at the end of part 3, which I must admit brought a lump to my throat too. Although not quite up to the first two, it is quite a good film, better than the Star Wars prequels for instance.

CityRaptor

Oh, I have all those guys. Some even as mint extras. Got them pretty cheap years ago. I think I only payed like like 5€ for a complete set back then on ebay.
They are quite nice figures. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Himmapaan

Marc, I echo the requests for the picture of you blowing out the candles, please.  And yours too, Adam.  ;D

I never had the cake.  :'( So have pity and grant me the favour, please.  ;D

Primeval12

CityRaptor

Well, you are not supposed to inhale or eat them anyways.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Primeval12

I was asking because it was on the cake and led and food don't really mix

Horridus

Quote from: primeval12 on April 16, 2012, 07:53:26 PM
I was asking because it was on the cake and led and food don't really mix
As I recall, the metal figure was removed prior to consumption, and served only as decoration during the presentation of said cake. Yes.
@Mhorridus

Gwangi

Are we even certain that they're made of lead? Could it not be something else like pewter? We all know you aren't supposed to eat the things but I imagine children (such as myself at the time) had them and well...you know what kids do with things. I realize there were a lot of lead toys back in the day but I'm just curious about these in particular.

Takama

I had a baby Raptor and a human from the Lost World line.

I Might still have the former

I thought it was a pretty cute piece

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.