News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2015

Started by DinoLord, December 18, 2014, 09:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

Tupuxuara:

Apatosaurus:

Mini dino tub:

tyrantqueen

More Sideshow copying ??? I have to admit the Tupux looks quite good, although I wish it had fuzz.

DinoLord

Yeah the Sideshow inspiration seems to be their new trend nowadays... At least the Apatosaurus is not too close to the Sideshow one in appearance.

Personally I think both look great. However the angle of the tail on the Apatosaurus seems a bit off to me - it seems like if it were just held a smidge higher it would look better. I'll wait until we have photos of the actual model though to make a firm judgment on that however. I will most likely end up getting both.

nobunaga

only one complain ...only two figures for 2015

DinoLord

I'm also a tad let down there aren't three, though if the Apatosaurus is big enough that'll make up for it! I really like how it's nice and bulky, as a lot of sauropod figures still seem to me to be too taught and skinny.

Meso-Cenozoic

OMG, I'm in heaven!! An APATOSAURUS!!! I hope he's BIG!

Beautiful details on the Tupuxuara -- so alive looking!

darth daniel

I´m really happy they finally did an Apatosaurus and will definately get it. I´m a bit disappointed though by the pose, I wish he was looking forwards. Could Apatosaurus bend its neck that much? Also the figure representing a 'juvenile' is a letdown; reminds me of the too small Carnegie Brachiosaurus. And last, I wish they had captured a calm expression similar to the Sideshow figure, but that´s not Papo´s style. Judging from the direction he looks, the positioning of his feet (he´s not walking) and the tail position, could it be he´s whipping his tail at something?

The Tupuxuara looks totally awesome, I´m not so much into Pterosaurs but I think I´ll sneak him into the order for the Apatosaurus. :)

tyrantqueen

QuoteAlso the figure representing a 'juvenile' is a letdown
What juvenile are you referring to? There's only one Apatosaurus represented in the photo, and it's an adult.

DinoLord

Despite it being called a 'juvenile' by Everything Dinosaur (who published the photos) the Apatosaurus looks pretty adult-proportioned to me. The neck length reminds me of A. ajax but the hip positioning looks more like A. excelsus to me.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: DinoLord on December 18, 2014, 10:06:19 PM
Despite it being called a 'juvenile' by Everything Dinosaur (who published the photos) the Apatosaurus looks pretty adult-proportioned to me. The neck length reminds me of A. ajax but the hip positioning looks more like A. excelsus to me.
Ah, I understand now. I agree, it doesn't look like a juvie to me either.

Is it me, or does it have two pairs of nostrils?

DinoLord

I noticed that too. It's hard to say until we see photos of the actual figure (in January I believe).

Argentavis

Like the Tupuxuara. Hope the paint job of the production models will be that great as on the pre production models. I remember that the Brachiosaurus had a similar coloration on the first pics (and in the catalogue), but the production version had a pretty poor finish.  :(

Megalosaurus

I want the Tupuxura, not convinced yet with the Brontosaurus  ;) .

Is there going to be another Papo prehistoric for 2015?
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

suspsy

Finally, after all that waiting-----and I'm disappointed. The Tupuxuara is a neat choice, but those colours are way too bland (yeah, it's Papo, I know). The Apatosaurus' neck looks too saggy and I'm pretty sure it couldn't bend its neck to that degree. I am curious as to how big it is compared to the rest of the line.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Arul

Papo I love you so much !!! Like Argentavis said i hope tupuxuara paint job pdroduction model is same with the model in the catalogue picture, not like pteranodon...apatosaurus looks so amazing

ignite444

Not too sure about the Apatosaurus, but I'll reserve judgement until we get more pics. But I love that Tupuxuara.
My Latest Review: Rebor King T-Rex

suspsy

I am glad that Papo didn't put the Tupuxuara in a wings-spread pose like the Pteranodon.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

DinoLord

Yeah the dynamic pose is nice; reminds me of a sparring male or something. Hopefully it balances well.

SpartanSquat

Im happy with these new ones. Specially with Tupuxura. Yeah they are sideshow copies, but very well done! Apatosaurus could be a sucessfull for JW. But I dont understand why juvenile. Maybe the size will be small compared with brachiosaurus.
But I think 2 figures this year is very small compared to other years. I hope the next years we will have many WWD, Sideshow and JW inspired figures.

tanystropheus

Amazing models. I'm glad that Papo made a relatively accurate Apatosaurus representation as opposed to the more retro Brontosaurus (e.g. Schleich, Tyco)...The Tupuxuara seems amazing as well. It reminds me of the Sideshow Tupuxuara. Actually, they both remind me of Sideshow pieces.

Apatosaurus
- This model looks majestic. I'm worried it might be a bit small (as suggested by Everything Dinosaur). Aside from nostrils and trivial nitpick issues, the model seems accurate. It sports the layered neck skin look of the WS Apatosaurus (although, the WS version looks more like a deranged cobra of sorts) and Sideshow Apatosaurus. It also seems to have the whip-like tail that seems to be popular with newer Apatosaurus representations. The pose is also different enough from Sideshow that it can't be considered a direct 'copy'.

Tupuxuara
- I love it. I was upset when I missed out on Sideshow's Tupuxuara, but this model is a nice consolation prize. Almost perfect in every way...the only problem is that the scales are a bit more accentuated than they should be.

It seems that Papo's last half-dozen pieces are quickly moving into more scientifically appropriate territory. Yes, there are minor inaccuracies...but you can say the same about WS and Carnegie models as well  :P

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.