News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2015

Started by DinoLord, December 18, 2014, 09:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arul

ohh yeah true but papo is win in price :D

suspsy

Honestly? The more I look at that Apatosaurus, the more convinced I am that it's supposed to be an adult. I'm wondering if either:

A) The artist originally intended for this to be an adult Apatosaurus, but the higher-ups at Papo got worried about the price and simply had the sculpt downsized rather than commission a new juvenile sculpt.

B) The 2015 line will contain both an adult and a young Apatosaurus and the former is due out in the summer, but Papo accidentally released the wrong publicity photo.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on December 19, 2014, 04:02:04 AM
Honestly? The more I look at that Apatosaurus, the more convinced I am that it's supposed to be an adult. I'm wondering if either:

A) The artist originally intended for this to be an adult Apatosaurus, but the higher-ups at Papo got worried about the price and simply had the sculpt downsized rather than commission a new juvenile sculpt.

B) The 2015 line will contain both an adult and a young Apatosaurus and the former is due out in the summer, but Papo accidentally released the wrong publicity photo.

Sounds plausible.

leidy

Damn, looks like I'm going to have to clear some space.

I like it.  It's become a recurring theme that Papo seem to rely on replicating other artists reconstructions.  But they usually deliver pleasing results.

The apatosaurus manages that combination of having a sense of both grace and massive weight.

Quote from: suspsy on December 18, 2014, 10:42:50 PM
Finally, after all that waiting-----and I'm disappointed. The Apatosaurus' neck looks too saggy and I'm pretty sure it couldn't bend its neck to that degree.

I don't think it's all that far off, considering.  Perhaps a bit more exaggerated, although juveniles are generally more flexible than fully grown adults. 

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on December 18, 2014, 11:14:39 PM
I like the pose, as it appears to be similar to that of the Carnegie Apatosaurus (A. louisae) mount.

I noticed the same thing.  Although the neck in the toy seems more slimmed down as it approaches the head.  Carnegie's skeleton looks to be more of the fat-necked variety.

Quote from: Gwangi on December 19, 2014, 01:40:11 AM
Quote from: deanm on December 19, 2014, 12:57:25 AM
I'm in pterosaur heaven!  Looks like 2015 will have some good stuff for pterosaur enthusiasts!!!!

Agreed! I'm not even a big pterosaur collector but there are 3 pterosaur models being released this year that I'll have to get (because I do like the Schleich model). I'm especially fond of the models in the resting pose vs. in flight. So much easier to display. Honestly that is one reason why I don't have more pterosaurs.

I also find they look more interesting to me that way.  It was a major revelation to me when I first saw Mark Witton's  'giraffe' restoration.  It's like a whole new type of animal.  Why had I never thought of them like that before?

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 19, 2014, 02:23:32 AM
The Apatosaurus is said to be a young one..so it could be a sub-adult? little smaller, looks basically the same.

That's what I was thinking.  Juvenile, as in juvenile delinquent. 

I don't need it to be quite as massive as their Brachiosaurus or Schleich's Apatosaurus anyway.  I'd rather prefer it wasn't.  Provided the body's no smaller in size than that of their Stegosaurus, with the added length of neck and tail, that'll be big enough for me.

triceratops83

The size of the apatosaur might turn out to be in scale to the brachiosaurus.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Saurian

I think that Apatosaurus  more inspiration skeleton which stands in the Carnegie Museum ,  not Sideshow  ;)
Soory,my English is poor

Dinomike

The Tupuxuara looks fantastic! Will definitely get one. With the Apatosaurus - I'n not so sure. It's head looks a little odd to me.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Meso-Cenozoic

I also think the Apato is probably more of a sub-adult than a juvenile. And my guess is it will probably scale pretty well with their Brachi, which is also a bit on the smaller side compared to their other Jurassic period dinos. I'm so happy they gave it a nice long tapering tail too! Dino toy companies can tend to skimp a bit on tail length.

As far as the colors being a bit on the muted side on their Tupuxura, one can always brighten up colors to their own liking pretty easily. You don't even have to necessarily be a good painter. The color patterns are already there for you to follow. I can't believe how realistic looking the details on this figure are. He looks so alive! When it comes to realistic believability, this figure really does blow the other companies' 2015 figures out of the water! Just as good or better than Rebor, IMHO, with I'm sure a far better price tag!

For me at least, these two are my favorite figures now of the new releases, with WS coming in next. These two lines seem to be the most realistic looking and with the most details.

Dinomike

Looking at pics of Apatosaurus skulls online it seems the Papo version has too many teeth. That's probably what put me off.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dinomike on December 19, 2014, 07:38:31 AM
Looking at pics of Apatosaurus skulls online it seems the Papo version has too many teeth. That's probably what put me off.

I can just barely see them..but they look fine to me. Apatosaurus does have a LOT of teeth anyway. 

Meso-Cenozoic

I don't think those are all teeth. A lot of it looks like a segmented lizard-like ridge around the mouth to me. Is that what you're seeing? I only see some exposed teeth in the front half of the upper and lower jaws.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'd say it pretty much matches the Brantworks Apato skull :

Meso-Cenozoic

There is some little dark jaggedy shadow ridge going on past the lower front teeth on the forward facing side of the lower jaw that seems to go past where the teeth should end. But I don't see that on the opposite far side. So I don't think they're teeth.

Dinomike

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on December 19, 2014, 08:10:38 AM
I don't think those are all teeth. A lot of it looks like a segmented lizard-like ridge around the mouth to me. Is that what you're seeing? I only see some exposed teeth in the frront half of the upper and lower jaws.
I think you are right! The picture is very small so it seemed to me at first glance that there were more teeth than necessary.  It think it's just the whitish paint job around the mouth that fooled me.

Everything_Dinosaur

A very quick video (30 seconds on the new Papo models for 2015), we publish the dimensions on the Pterosaur figure, no data yet on the young Apatosaurus.

Video: 30 second Youtube video

We also put up more information on the Everything Dinosaur blog site yesterday:New for 2015 from Papo

We will publish more information when we have it.

Manatee

That's good to know. Also, Everything Dinosaur, could you possibly clear things up on the ontogeny relating to the Apatosaurus?

Raptoress

In love with both of them. Especially the Apatosaurus. Can't wait to get them.

Zhuchengotyrant

I may get the apatosaurus, if it is large, good, if not, then maybe it could go with the WS one?
-Zhuchengotyrant

Arul

Ohh so the size of papo tupuxuara is small, i love small and highly detail figure  :D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Wow the Tupu is tiny..lol  Well about in the same range as the Pteranodon, just with wings folded makes a much smaller figure.   Hopefully that means the Apatosaurus is larger or if not there is at least one more figure planned.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: