News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2015

Started by DinoLord, December 18, 2014, 09:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: kreativtek on December 28, 2014, 08:34:02 AM
You got me excited, guys. Now that I know that Papo has a tendency to release unannounced models, I have high hopes for a Giganotosaurus. Mike from Everything Dinosaur said himself that the company may show off new figures when they will meet up in the New Year.

I keep my fingers crossed! While I love standing T-rex and Spinosaurus, I believe that Papo's collection of large theropods could use an refresh. The running T-rex is a good one, but with its strange-looking teeth and battle scars all over the body, it looks more like a designer's fantasy than an actual animal.
While it's weird that they have done a mini Giganotosaurus without one full size model to base it in,now,that the 2015 catalog has been showed off,and you can even visit it,do you think further models will really be announced?It doesn't seem so.And,of course,if they are bringing at least another new model for 2015 it WILL be a Giganotosaurus.

Manatee

I'd personally have to assume that if a Giga was released, it would be in June. As the fictional hybrid dinosaur will be copyrighted because it can be, it seems a Giga or other related carcharodontosaurid would be the closest Papo could get to releasing one.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 28, 2014, 08:45:00 AM
Quote from: suspsy on December 26, 2014, 10:15:24 PM
That saggy baggy Apatosaurus looks like it came off the pages of All Yesterdays----which I highly recommend to anyone who hasn't read it. And it's why I prefer CollectA product over Papo. The latter is way ahead in terms of sculpted detail, but I find their dinosaurs too conservative and dull. Give me feathers, feathers, and more feathers!

I'm sure that you would have been more impressed if Papo delivered an Apatosaurus replete with (obligatory) feathers. Unfortunately, Papo is too conservative and dull.

Haha! Well I prefer Papo over CollectA because their figures look more realistic/life-like (which doesn't necessarily mean accurate), where CollectA's still look like toys.

DinoG

Agreed!!! Little inaccuracy are totally made up by the liveliness of the models. We all wished to be able to afford SS and similar, Papo is the affordable alternative, although I admit not all their models are as good as they could be.

Haha! Well I prefer Papo over CollectA because their figures look more realistic/life-like (which doesn't necessarily mean accurate), where CollectA's still look like toys.
[/quote]
Run!

DinoG

Sorry for the confusion I meant to quote Meso-Cenozoic
Quote from: DinoG on December 28, 2014, 10:19:15 PM
Agreed!!! Little inaccuracy are totally made up by the liveliness of the models. We all wished to be able to afford SS and similar, Papo is the affordable alternative, although I admit not all their models are as good as they could be.

[/quote]
Run!

Meso-Cenozoic

You wouldn't be referring to their prehistoric marine life, would you? ;) Hehe!

Actually, I think all their dinos are impressive. It's when they veer off from them, they run into a bit of trouble -- marine & flying reptiles! :-X  (Although, I do have to admit I like their Pteranodon except for his teeth.)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on December 28, 2014, 10:36:49 PM

.. they run into a bit of trouble -- marine & flying reptiles! :-X  (Although, I do have to admit I like their Pteranodon except for his teeth.)

Don't forget the Tupax!  :) Papo only needs to refine the marine reptiles. Maybe, Papo will finally get things right with an Elasmosaurus or Liopleurodon...It's a shame that the gorgeous Sideshow Mosasaurus was only released now. Poor Papo.

I think Papo's non-retired mammoths are pretty horrible  :-X

DinoG

Agreed once again, Carnegie mammoth is much better
Run!

Blade-of-the-Moon

You wouldn't be referring to their prehistoric marine life, would you? ;) Hehe!

Actually, I think all their dinos are impressive. It's when they veer off from them, they run into a bit of trouble -- marine & flying reptiles! :-X  (Although, I do have to admit I like their Pteranodon except for his teeth.)

That Pteranodon is a perfect JP3 one though..teeth and all.  :)

SpartanSquat

Well the Plesiosaurus looks cool. I think they will release a new mosasaur based in Sideshow or Jurassic World, and curiosly, the last one is more accurate due tail fluke

Arul

Yeah...remake or make new mosasaur please...

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 28, 2014, 11:41:33 PM

.. they run into a bit of trouble -- marine & flying reptiles! :-X  (Although, I do have to admit I like their Pteranodon except for his teeth.)

Don't forget the Tupax!  :) Papo only needs to refine the marine reptiles. Maybe, Papo will finally get things right with an Elasmosaurus or Liopleurodon...It's a shame that the gorgeous Sideshow Mosasaurus was only released now. Poor Papo.

Exactly... about the SS Mosasaurus! LOL! And I forgot about the Mammoth. I haven't bought that one or the Saber-Tooth Cat yet. But yeah, the newer mammoth is pretty dull. I liked the old running one better I think. But I haven't seen that one in person either.

And Blade, you're right too about the Pteranodon. Back when they were making more JP inspired figures. I really wish Papo would make a deal with Spielberg, and be the official JP franchise toy figure company! I would love Papo to make a whole line of them from JP to JW!! They really are the perfect company for them.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on December 29, 2014, 04:09:05 AM

Exactly... about the SS Mosasaurus! LOL! And I forgot about the Mammoth. I haven't bought that one or the Saber-Tooth Cat yet. But yeah, the newer mammoth is pretty dull. I liked the old running one better I think. But I haven't seen that one in person either.

And Blade, you're right too about the Pteranodon. Back when they were making more JP inspired figures. I really wish Papo would make a deal with Spielberg, and be the official JP franchise toy figure company! I would love Papo to make a whole line of them from JP to JW!! They really are the perfect company for them.

Totally agree, it would give them a great merchandising opportunity.

sauroid

Papo's mammoth looks like mr. snuffleupagus without the fey eyelashes
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 29, 2014, 04:39:17 AM
Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on December 29, 2014, 04:09:05 AM

Totally agree, it would give them a great merchandising opportunity.

OMG, they don't know what their missing out on! They'd be richer than richest! LOL!!

Papo's Mammoth = Snuffleupagus.  Hahaha!!!

alexeratops

Quote from Meso-Cenozoic: Snuffleupagus. Hahaha!

Can you tell me how to get...
like a bantha!

tanystropheus

Even the mini mammoths look goofy in a very annoying way. I just feel like kicking them j/k!  >:D
Good thing I only have the Papo Smilodon (I like the Woolly Rhino, though)
Papo's recent mammoths all suffer from Snuffleupagus Syndrome  >:(

Concavenator

So could someone say,will there be more dinosaurs from Papo?

triceratops83

Quote from: Concavenator on January 02, 2015, 01:43:41 PM
So could someone say,will there be more dinosaurs from Papo?

I doubt it. Everyone's just hopeful because of that lil' Giganotosaurus. They probably were working on one but shelved it to produce the Apatosaurus. I reckon it'll turn up next year.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Did the running rex come out mid-year? I sort of remember it, particularly the brown version, being found in a store before it appeared in the catalog.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: