News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What Prehistoric Mammals Deserve Toys?

Started by suspsy, December 25, 2014, 03:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STORMnlNIJMEGEN

like to see a hole hert of prehistoric creatures,,

but a hert of mammoth's,,scale 1/35 is a must,,

and yes also dead prehistoric mammals
The Return Of The Mammoth's

suspsy

I'd be totally fine with Schleich switching to all-prehistoric mammals. Their modern mammal assortment is superb, so perhaps there's less chance of them botching mammoths and sabertooth and entelodonts than spinosaurs and therizinosaurs.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Wellnhoferia

I would like to see an ambulocetus or rodhocetus model be made, and have there been any ambulocetus models made?

SBell

Quote from: Wellnhoferia on December 28, 2014, 02:50:22 AM
I would like to see an ambulocetus or rodhocetus model be made, and have there been any ambulocetus models made?

There's a tiny little metal figure by some British company, but so far that's it.

suspsy

Okay, here's my top ten picks for prehistoric mammals:

10) Gigantopithecus. A massive ape that would make a gorilla look like a chimp.

9) Steppe Mammoth. The largest known elephant of all time. Enough said.

8) Paraceratherium. It's already been done a couple of times, but the largest land mammal of all time deserves more recognition.

7) Thylacoleo. Marsupial killer with the strongest bite of any mammal for its size.

6) Uintatherium. Has a wonderful knobby head and giant tusks.

5) Platybelodon. The funkiest elephant of them all.

4) Ambulocetus. A crucial link in the evolutionary history of whales and a prime example of a transitional fossil.

3) Arctodus. Because of this:

2) Megatherium. Has also been done in the past, but like Paraceratherium, the giant of giant ground sloths deserves more recognition. I loved watching it school a Smilodon in WWPB.

1) Basilosaurus. Beautiful and terrifying at the same time. Once thought to have been proof of the sea serpent. Possessed teeth shaped like ragged leaves and adorable little hind limbs. Another great example of a transitional fossil.

Neon-Allo

Quote from: sauroid on December 27, 2014, 03:21:11 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on December 27, 2014, 02:27:33 PM
Quote from: triceratops83 on December 27, 2014, 01:40:59 PM
Mojo should just scrap their dinosaurs and crank out LOTS of cenozoic creatures.

THIS! Perfect Solution.
in a perfect world
Didn't they do this one year with the year they released the Daeodon, the Hyaenodon, the Brontothere, and the Deinotherium? Why didn't they do this again??

Neon-Allo

Quote from: Neon-Allo on January 03, 2015, 06:07:56 AM
Mojo should just scrap their dinosaurs and crank out LOTS of cenozoic creatures.

THIS! Perfect Solution.
in a perfect world
Didn't they do this one year with the year they released the Daeodon, the Hyaenodon, the Brontothere, and the Deinotherium? Why didn't they do this again??
And they were good models too...

sauroid

Quote from: Neon-Allo on January 03, 2015, 06:07:56 AM

THIS! Perfect Solution.
in a perfect world
maybe they didnt sell well.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

suspsy

As much as I adore prehistoric mammals, I think it's safe to say that they don't sell as well as dinosaurs, sabertooths and woolly mammoths being the possible exceptions. Nevertheless, I earnestly hope we see companies make more of these fascinating animals in the future.

Oh, and while I'm at it, here are four post-Mesozoic reptiles that I feel deserve to be immortalized in plastic:

4. Meiolania

3. Megalania

2. Purussaurus

1. Titanoboa

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on January 03, 2015, 10:36:58 PM
As much as I adore prehistoric mammals, I think it's safe to say that they don't sell as well as dinosaurs, sabertooths and woolly mammoths being the possible exceptions. Nevertheless, I earnestly hope we see companies make more of these fascinating animals in the future.

Oh, and while I'm at it, here are four post-Mesozoic reptiles that I feel deserve to be immortalized in plastic:

The problem with oversized species of modern animals is that, without scale, they don't look all that different (see: this year's Megalodon from Safari. It's a great white shark unless you have the right size prey animal next to it. And there are better white shark figures...).

And two of those--Meiolania and Megalania--have been immortalized in plastic by Kaiyodo in the Dinotales lines (S2 for the former, S4 for the latter).

suspsy

Good point. Although a Titanoboa constructing a crocodile would be fairly recognizable as prehistoric.

Got any pics of the Meiolania and Megalania?

Therizinosaur

Hi, everyone! I'm new here, but I've been lurking on the forum for quite some time and finally decided to make a profile.

I would love to see a lot more Cenozoic mammals. Especially one of the whale precursors, because as far as I know there aren't any in figure form. I'd also love to see:

Uintatherium
Embolotherium
Bramatherium
Chalicotherium (I can't wait for CollectA's Moropus!)
Thylacosmilus
Synthetoceras
Aepycamelus

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on January 04, 2015, 05:55:04 PM
Good point. Although a Titanoboa constructing a crocodile would be fairly recognizable as prehistoric.

Got any pics of the Meiolania and Megalania?

Of course I have pics!

Meiolania:

Megalania:

As for Titanoboa, it would probably be simpler to take the CollectA Anaconda and find a suitable-scale croc or turtle figure. If the head on the figure is about 1.3" long and Titanoboa's skull is about 24", we can probably call the CollectA about 1:20 scale for Titanoboa. For a small Cerrejon crocodillian like Cerrejonisuchus (~2m) the Safari caiman is about right at roughly 3.5"; maybe one of the Safari prehistoric toob crocs (or Alligatrors Alive toob). For a bigger species, like Acherontisuchus (let's say, average 5m), the figure would need to be about 8"-9" long. Given the long snout of the species, it might be tougher to find a match; a false gharial might be good if one existed, or just any current alligator figure (the CollectA is pretty decent and is about the right length) but it's tough to find one of the right slender build. An aquatic turtle figure with a shell 3" long would also be to scale (real fossils were found with shells 1.5 m across) and there are lots that would fit; it might be tougher to find a figure of a side-neck turtle but not impossible (I'm guessing Yujin has made one). The hardest would be a decent lungfish figure of the right size--or any, since nobody makes a Lepidosiren figure at all.

No matter what, the scene would pretty much look like an anaconda with a croc (modern ones eat caiman) or turtle or fish; I can't find reference to a particular mammal or bird that would be distinctly of Titanoboa's age (although I'm not looking that hard, I'm sure it could be found). Again, the problem is that the scaled creatures wouldn't look all that different without a scale bar next to it!

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Therizinosaur on January 04, 2015, 08:30:26 PM
Hi, everyone! I'm new here, but I've been lurking on the forum for quite some time and finally decided to make a profile.

I would love to see a lot more Cenozoic mammals. Especially one of the whale precursors, because as far as I know there aren't any in figure form. I'd also love to see:

Uintatherium
Embolotherium
Bramatherium
Chalicotherium (I can't wait for CollectA's Moropus!)
Thylacosmilus
Synthetoceras
Aepycamelus

Welcome to the forum.
There are already figures of:
Uintatherium (at least 6 if you count Eobasileus)
Chalicotherium (Bullyland & upcoming CollectA)
Synthetoceras (Chick yuet)

But I'll always welcome more to my collection.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

crankydinosaur

I forgot!

- Coryphodon
- Toxodon
- bear-dogs
- dog-bears

suspsy

What companies have made the Uintatherium?

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on January 06, 2015, 03:20:32 AM

Starlux, Jaru, Play Visions (large & small), GeoWorld,and a Spanish company I can't remember.

triceratops83

Quote from: SBell on January 06, 2015, 03:48:05 AM
Quote from: suspsy on January 06, 2015, 03:20:32 AM

Starlux, Jaru, Play Visions (large & small), GeoWorld,and a Spanish company I can't remember.

Was there a Marx one? "Cause you often get one in those packs of chinasaurs that copy Marx.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

crankydinosaur

QuoteWas there a Marx one? "Cause you often get one in those packs of chinasaurs that copy Marx.

You're probably thinking of the Jaru one.

SBELL: the Spanish company is "Yolanda"

triceratops83

In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: