News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

What Prehistoric Mammals Deserve Toys?

Started by suspsy, December 25, 2014, 03:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

if im not mistaken, the Jaru copy of the Marx Uintatherium is the best/most decent "chinasaur"one, the rest are just plain cr*p.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

CityRaptor

There is no Marx Uinta.  You are also missing the one made for the Predators toyline.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

sauroid

so is that Uintatherium mold a Ja-Ru original?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Therizinosaur

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 05, 2015, 04:34:07 PM
Welcome to the forum.
There are already figures of:
Uintatherium (at least 6 if you count Eobasileus)
Chalicotherium (Bullyland & upcoming CollectA)
Synthetoceras (Chick yuet)

But I'll always welcome more to my collection.

Thanks!
I was thinking more along the lines of Safari, Papo, Mojo/Schleich prehistoric mammals, and modern CollectaA quality/detail, but I really like the large PlayVision Uintatherium! Too bad it's so hard to find now. The same with the Bullyland Chalicothere. I like it, but it's kind of lacking in the detail department (along with other Bullyland figures IMO.) The CollectA Moropus will fulfill my Chalicothere figure needs for now, but I hope to see another for 2016.

SBell

Quote from: sauroid on January 06, 2015, 07:59:14 AM
so is that Uintatherium mold a Ja-Ru original?

It is original--one of the few by Jaru (their Macrauchenia being the other good one).

As for the 'best' one, that would be the Play Visions large Eobasileus (good luck hunting that down) or the small one (you'll need almost as much luck).

And yeah, I forgot the Predators. I knew there'd be another.

Megalosaurus

Quote from: suspsy on January 04, 2015, 05:55:04 PM
Good point. Although a Titanoboa constructing a crocodile would be fairly recognizable as prehistoric.
[...]
This is more appealing:
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

crankydinosaur

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 06, 2015, 07:46:33 AM
There is no Marx Uinta.  You are also missing the one made for the Predators toyline.

Predators line? Does anyone have a picture of this one?

CityRaptor

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 07, 2015, 12:28:09 AM
This is more appealing:
Expect that Titanboa did not exist back then. Sanajeh or Madtsoia on the other hand...
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 07, 2015, 12:28:09 AM
Quote from: suspsy on January 04, 2015, 05:55:04 PM
Good point. Although a Titanoboa constructing a crocodile would be fairly recognizable as prehistoric.
[...]
This is more appealing:

Titanoboa is from the Paleocene. It never met a dinosaur.

crankydinosaur

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 07, 2015, 12:43:38 AM

Oh yeah that one! I feel like this one would make a good juvenile, mostly because of the tiny ossicones. Does anyone know if it come in any other colors?

CityRaptor

I only ever saw pics of it in that color. Same when I owned one myself.

Quote from: SBell on January 07, 2015, 01:02:36 AM

Sanajeh or Madtsoia on the other hand...
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 07, 2015, 09:22:22 AM
I only ever saw pics of it in that color. Same when I owned one myself.

Quote from: SBell on January 07, 2015, 01:02:36 AM

Sanajeh or Madtsoia on the other hand...

Except Madstoia was maybe probably 5m long, (possibly as long as 8m, because high estimates are always given during early descriptions...must be bigger...). And Sanajeh was around 3.5m long. These are not exactly enormous lengths as far as constrictors go--and certainly wouldn't be much threat to dinosaurs other than juveniles or small species that forgot how to bite things. And they'd still be easily represented by existing figures.

Libraraptor

Dinosaurana

I have a few I'd like to see more of.

Glyptodonts: There' surprisingly little of these, and a variety under the sun for them. Plus they could be more durable.

Chalicotheres: An interesting animal family, and playability is higher. CollectA is making a Moropus, but I'd like to see more.

Eobasilus/Uintatherum: There hasn't been a new model in ages, and is an excellent figure for kids and collectors. Six 'horns' and saber teeth should be a good seller.

American Mastodon: There's an incredible lack of these, and it needs to be fixed. They're some of the more common large vertebrate fossils around in the U.S, especially in the eastern part, and there's not much of anything.

I'll have more later, these are just the ones off the top of my head.

DinoLord

Quote from: Dino Master on January 07, 2015, 06:11:39 PM

Glyptodonts: There' surprisingly little of these, and a variety under the sun for them. Plus they could be more durable.

I'm pretty sure Safari made one of these. Kaiyodo made a Glyptodon (Dinotales Series 3) and Doedicurus (Dinotales Series 6); the latter has two paint variations.

Megalosaurus

The Schleich one is quite good.

Chalicotheres: An interesting animal family, and playability is higher. CollectA is making a Moropus, but I'd like to see more.
I have the Bullyland reissue and I plan to get the CollectA´s. But to have higher playability we need it to have articulated arms.

Eobasilus/Uintatherum: There hasn't been a new model in ages, and is an excellent figure for kids and collectors. Six 'horns' and saber teeth should be a good seller.
The GeoWorld Eobasilus was 2014 release. Is not the best one, but is the most recent and not as bad.

(Italics are mine)
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

crankydinosaur

suspsy

American Mastodon: There's an incredible lack of these, and it needs to be fixed. They're some of the more common large vertebrate fossils around in the U.S, especially in the eastern part, and there's not much of anything

This is another great suggestion. The mastodon really deserves more recognition. Damn woolly mammoth keep hogging the spotlight.

Honestly, the one prehistoric mammal that I think warrants a good CollectA figure (or any other company) above all others is Megatherium. It's big, it can be put in a dynamic pose, and it can totally kick the ass of a Smilodon. I'll never forget that awesome scene from WWPB. :)
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on January 16, 2015, 10:43:20 PM
American Mastodon: There's an incredible lack of these, and it needs to be fixed. They're some of the more common large vertebrate fossils around in the U.S, especially in the eastern part, and there's not much of anything

This is another great suggestion. The mastodon really deserves more recognition. Damn woolly mammoth keep hogging the spotlight.

Honestly, the one prehistoric mammal that I think warrants a good CollectA figure (or any other company) above all others is Megatherium. It's big, it can be put in a dynamic pose, and it can totally kick the ass of a Smilodon. I'll never forget that awesome scene from WWPB. :)

There was this great Masotodon, now out of production:

And if you can still find it, the Bullyland Megatherium was/is a truly magnificent sloth figure:

But both of these have been out of production for some time.

crankydinosaur

You know for as horrible as Imperial's dinosaurs are, their American Mastodon is really great.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: