News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

What Prehistoric Mammals Deserve Toys?

Started by suspsy, December 25, 2014, 03:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Just watching a documentary on entelodonts before going to bed and it got me thinking about all the wonderful post-Cretaceous fauna that haven't yet been immortalized in plastic. Off the top of my head, some of the ones I'd love to see CollectA, Papo, or some other company tackle are:

Ambulocetus

Basilosaurus

Arctodus aka short-faced bear

Thylacoleo

Thylacosmilus

Steppe mammoth

What about the rest of you?

Also: Happy Holidays! 😄

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Gwangi

We really need a Mastodon. Living in NY we mostly have fossils from either the Devonian or the Ice Age, like Mastodons. Every so often someone will be digging a new pool or plowing a field and find Mastodon material and that's just awesome but sadly there are no good Mastodon toys on the market! Plus my museum has a semi-local Mastodon skeleton on display so it would be really nice if it was something they could carry too. I know there is someone else here that feels similarly? Amargasaurus I think?

sauroid

i dont know if these have been made into plastic figures already:
Elasmotherium, Mastodon, Columbian Mammoth
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Paleogene Pals

I know there are resin models of most of the animals mentioned here. Not plastic figures though

triceratops83

Diprotodon, Zaglossus (a giant echidna), Procoptodon, Thylacoleo, and whatever that carnivorous kangaroo is called.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

stargatedalek

Mastodon are also a pretty prominent fossil for Nova Scotia
pretty much all the local fossils are Carboniferous or late ice age

triceratops83

If you were to broaden the subject to Cenozoic animals in general, I'd say there are a few flightless birds of renown that have yet to get widely available figures - Aepyornis, Dinornis and Dromornis. Odd that Elephant Birds and Moas haven't attracted any attention from toy companies.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Manatee

Mastodon, Procoptodon, Thylacoleo, Ambulocetus, Livyatan, Embolotherium, Elasmotherium, a half-decent Paraceratherium, Dorudon... the list goes on and on. I'd especially like to see more prehistoric whales, as I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) that a single plastic prehistoric whale figure has ever been made. They're really quite interesting and have no good reason to be overlooked. I wish Mojo would come through on their Basilosaurus, but it doesn't look like they will...

SBell

Quote from: Manatee on December 25, 2014, 09:47:35 AM
Mastodon, Procoptodon, Thylacoleo, Ambulocetus, Livyatan, Embolotherium, Elasmotherium, a half-decent Paraceratherium, Dorudon... the list goes on and on. I'd especially like to see more prehistoric whales, as I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) that a single plastic prehistoric whale figure has ever been made. They're really quite interesting and have no good reason to be overlooked. I wish Mojo would come through on their Basilosaurus, but it doesn't look like they will...

There's a Basilosaurus in the Safari Prehistoric Marine toob. And the Yowies line has a Mammalodon.

I'd want to see some of the more stand-out Mesozoic mammals (they're not not just Cenozoic after all) like Castorcauda, Repenomanus (I know someone here is making one, but it won't be a wide-distribution one) and Volaticotherium.

goodlife18

Teleoceras, Metamynodon, Gnathabelodon,  Cuvieronius, Stegodon.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I wouldn't mind seeing the North American species from the old NMNH exhibits, particularly the brontotheres and rhino-like ones.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Paleogene Pals

Yes, more whales and prehistoric marine mammals, for both figures and resin.

paleoferroequine

Stegotetrabelodon syrticus, four tusked gomphothere, 4 m tall. Synthetoceras or Syndyoceras. Chilotherium pugnator. Cervalces scotti,the stag-moose. Megistotherium osteothlastes. Moeritherium. Uintatherium/Eobasileus. Thylacoleo. And whales.

Please, no Andrewsarchus! There is only a skull, no mandible and hardly any (if not no)post cranial. Plus we have no idea what this animal is ( maybe related to entelodonts) and what kind of body it has. This is, of course, only my opinion, fwiw. ^-^

Gwangi

We already have a few Andrewsarchus anyway. The Safari model is quite nice.

Daspletodave

An American Mastodon and a Steppe Bison would be cool. And maybe an Elasmotherium.

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Gwangi on December 25, 2014, 05:41:46 PM
We already have a few Andrewsarchus anyway. The Safari model is quite nice.

True, but I pretend it's Pachyaena instead! 8)

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Daspletodave on December 25, 2014, 06:02:25 PM
An American Mastodon and a Steppe Bison would be cool. And maybe an Elasmotherium.

Also Bison latifrons the giant bison with 84in horns, tip to tip!

suspsy

Have there been many Megatherium figures?
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

paleoferroequine

Quote from: suspsy on December 25, 2014, 07:47:12 PM

Schleich, Bullyland and Safari and Safari mini are the ones I have. There are also Marx, Marolin, and Starlux, probably some more.
Ah, Wild Republic and K&M (same?), MPC, Kaiyodo, Playvision, Timpo.

SBell would know.

Roselaar

Quote from: suspsy on December 25, 2014, 07:47:12 PM

A fair amount, yes.

I would like more prehistoric whales. There's so few Basilosaurus figures while it's a fantastic animal.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: