News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Hasbro) - new for 2015

Started by EmperorDinobot, January 15, 2015, 05:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

I ventured to the local Kmart to have a glance at some of these - sadly the pictures convey just how underwhelming they really are. I was hoping to spot the mosasaur, as that's the only one I'm considering, but it wasn't in stock.

Plasticbeast95

I got some of the small Toobs-like Dinos, none of the larger figures interest me, they sure ain't the Kenner classics.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I picked up the Dilo and Cerato today at walmart, no sign of the Mosa.  They have started taking down their JW display though and moving in Minions.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 03, 2015, 04:34:11 AM
I picked up the Dilo and Cerato today at walmart, no sign of the Mosa.  They have started taking down their JW display though and moving in Minions.
Sad state of affairs.  Thankfully JW's still doing good at the box office.

I don't understand the whole thing behind the Minions.  Do I just find them annoying because I haven't seen Despicable Me?  Or are they intentionally annoying?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

CityRaptor

Good question. From what I've seen they are just a bunch of little yellow creatures that are not very intelligent and have an obsession with bananas. Doesn't seem very appealing to me.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Plasticbeast95

they are the latest in the long line of "cute kid appeals", a trend going back several decades.

CityRaptor

Ah yes, kid appeal characters....normally there is only one or two of them per franchise, and they are often very annoying.
Oh no

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: CityRaptor on July 03, 2015, 06:05:12 AM
Ah yes, kid appeal characters....normally there is only one or two of them per franchise, and they are often very annoying.

By far the worst have got to be the Ewoks. ya, teddy bears with spears can beat an army of fully trained and armored Storm troopers. Lucus, what were you thinking?

Anyway, whats the opinion of the large I. rex? its got real feel skin (sort of) but its rather bland, at least the movie animal was more than just drab grey.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It has an oversized head and is rubbery..at least in the head/neck area. It has a ligth up feature which doesn't make sense with the movie canon really and has issue standing up. That said I own one because I thought it was still the biggest I-Rex toy we are going to get. If it helps think of it as a baby one.  Aside from that I would go with the smaller figure with the Gyrosphere.

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 03, 2015, 07:55:37 AM
It has an oversized head and is rubbery..at least in the head/neck area. It has a ligth up feature which doesn't make sense with the movie canon really and has issue standing up. That said I own one because I thought it was still the biggest I-Rex toy we are going to get. If it helps think of it as a baby one.  Aside from that I would go with the smaller figure with the Gyrosphere.

ok, if I do get one, I wanted it to be similar in size to the Bull or Thrasher rexes. I don't mind the head size, and I heard you can pop it open and fix the leg issue.

how is the smaller rex? the one that is to scale with the gyro I rex?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on July 03, 2015, 08:16:56 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 03, 2015, 07:55:37 AM

ok, if I do get one, I wanted it to be similar in size to the Bull or Thrasher rexes. I don't mind the head size, and I heard you can pop it open and fix the leg issue.

how is the smaller rex? the one that is to scale with the gyro I rex?

Yeah I'm a fan of BIG toys myself. Just wish it had been as nice as the Bull or Thrasher.  Yeah a couple JPToys members fixed it but it seemed a bit difficult.

There really isn't a Rex to scale with the I-Rex/gyro set. Unless you count Papo. The Basher/Biter Rex is too small but should fit with the B&B I-Rex when it's released.  Honestly all the JW Rexes are pretty weak for one reason ( or more) or another. The Stomp and Strike Rex coming out around August should be the best Hasbro one for the line. It's about the size of the largest I-Rex toy or maybe a bit bigger.

terrorchicken

the JW toys are awful...even JP 3 had better toys...

I think the only one I like is the ceratosaurus and the mini dinos, but I have found neither in stores...

I used to have the thrasher t-rex from LW, awesome toy, had to sell it due to money issues. Sold it in a lot with a few other classic toys form JP and LW. I kept the chasmosaurus though b/c its such a nice sculpt...

Plasticbeast95

I don't know... I remember JP///'s toys were pretty bad. at least these arnt stuck in contorted poses.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think the JP3 toys had more detail for the most part, the contorted poses actually gave them more action I think. Granted it was hard to get them to stand on their own..though these new offerings don't really either. The small electronic T-Rex was as bad as the new JW one..it's just Hasbro really kinda drops the ball with this license each time. I wish they would give it up to some other company to e honest. Let them have a go.

Plasticbeast95

At least the JW toyline did something right over the third one: coverable scars.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on July 03, 2015, 07:51:54 PM
At least the JW toyline did something right over the third one: coverable scars.

True..even though it was only on 3 figures. Those screw holes though.. ugh

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 03, 2015, 08:06:26 PM
Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on July 03, 2015, 07:51:54 PM

True..even though it was only on 3 figures. Those screw holes though.. ugh

a necessary evil, im afraid.

stargatedalek

JP3 figures had screw holes but at least they did a good job of hiding them. Aside from the pterosaurs I have to agree that many of the JW pieces actually seem nicer to me than their JP3 equivalents, IF it weren't for the screw holes.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Plasticbeast95 on July 03, 2015, 06:11:58 AM
Quote from: CityRaptor on July 03, 2015, 06:05:12 AM

By far the worst have got to be the Ewoks. ya, teddy bears with spears can beat an army of fully trained and armored Storm troopers. Lucus, what were you thinking?

Anyway, whats the opinion of the large I. rex? its got real feel skin (sort of) but its rather bland, at least the movie animal was more than just drab grey.
Ewoks are far more dangerous than people give them credit for.  For one thing, it's their world, they know the terrain and how to defend it, stormtroopers do not.  For another, they are carnivorous.  They were not joking about eating Luke, Han, and Chewie.  Somehow I doubt that the stormtrooper helmets that were being used as drums were taken off captives.  Never trust cute.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

CityRaptor

Stormtoopers are for dinner...

Aren't Ewoks also primates with bear features? That is two nasty  mammals rolled into one!

Basher & Biter Indominus Rex!
http://dinodan.proboards.com/post/193205
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: