News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 23, 2015, 02:58:13 PM
Miss Rebor, if I might, are you able to give any hints of the new upcoming psittacosaurus model mentioned earlier by your previous representative? Do you happen to know scale, if its a multiple animal scene, or single, perhaps species...anything that might give more information at all?Perhaps one of those lovely outlines your company uses so often on facebook...anything at all?

Sorry I don't know the scale :( but I guess it won't be a 1/35 piece because that would be so tiny lol

From the concept drawings I can tell that it will be a diorama, a Psittacosaurus stands on a piece of wet looking rock which has a puddle in the middle :)

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Dyscrasia on June 23, 2015, 04:57:38 PM
I hope that REBOR will become popular in South Korea someday.

Papo is very popular here (most likely due to the fact that one of the main sculptor is from our country, and Papo Korea seems to be very active in promoting Papo products), and in every major city here, there are more than one store that carries most of the Papo products.

Whenever I order a REBOR product, the shipping alone costs almost as much as the item I have purchased :(

Hi, please tell me this is a Korean website?

http://hobbyz.co.kr/shop/item.php?it_id=1426223066

Simon

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on June 23, 2015, 06:51:47 AM
Regarding the Rebor T. rex: whether or not the head is accurate--in either the scientific or the cinematic sense--is an empirical question. In this case the facts say no.

This isn't a matter of picture angle; it's a matter of error, however major or minor that error may be (for my part, I'd say it's relatively minor). In any event, I'd say their model looks great anyway, and if you're going to make a mistake (as everyone does eventually) then it's better from a business perspective to make it on the product that's going to sell oodles and oodles anyway.

And the point that I think it's important to reinforce is that this debate misses the point that was originally in question, which was whether or not their representative was treated fairly. And that might not be an empirical question, but there are facts that can be brought to bear: first, that the criticism (s)he initially received was as harsh as the criticism that's been doled out even to beloved artists who post here; second, that the representative's responses to those criticisms were consistent in their rudeness and mendacity; third, that no one expressed a desire to see the representative leave before (s)he did so. Anyone here who wants to carry water for the company is of course free to do so, but let's not perpetuate a demonstrably unjustified persecution complex.

Well, based on Tyrannosauron's sleuthing I can say that I was wrong - The King TRex was indeed intended to look like the (inaccurate) JP TRex from the front.  Except that its even MORE inaccurate than the JP Trex, which was pretty darn good.  I would have been happy with it if it had the JP TRex head - I would have even bought it!

As far as its rating - 2.5 stars seems about right.  Its a very well done sculpt, but oh-so-disappointing because of what-could-have-been.  Its a monster rather than a TRex.  A freak (like the dinosaurs in JP).  And not appealing to me at all.  To me, "ACCURACYBRO=AWESOMEBRO"  and vice-versa.  "INACCURACYBRO=LAMEBRO" 

Arul

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 23, 2015, 05:24:57 PM
Miss Rebor, if I might, are you able to give any hints of the new upcoming psittacosaurus model mentioned earlier by your previous representative? Do you happen to know scale, if its a multiple animal scene, or single, perhaps species...anything that might give more information at all?Perhaps one of those lovely outlines your company uses so often on facebook...anything at all?

Sorry I don't know the scale :( but I guess it won't be a 1/35 piece because that would be so tiny lol

From the concept drawings I can tell that it will be a diorama, a Psittacosaurus stands on a piece of wet looking rock which has a puddle in the middle :)

Oh wow this will getting real  :D

Shadowknight1

Did I see that there are plans for a 1/35 scale Deinonychus?  That'd be less than 4 inches long so either a really small model or a diorama of multiple critters.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Arul

Quote from: Simon on June 23, 2015, 05:30:54 PM
Well, based on Tyrannosuaron's sleuthing I can say that I was wrong - The King TRex was indeed made to look like the (inaccurate) JP TRex from the front.

As far as its rating - 2.5 stars seems about right.  Its a very well done sculpt, but oh-so-disappointing because of what-could-have-been.  Its a monster rather than a TRex.  A freak (like the dinosaurs in JP).  And not appealing to me at all.  To me, "ACCURACYBRO=AWESOMEBRO"  and vice-versa.  "INACCURACYBRO=LAMEBRO" 

I dont get it  :-\

Dyscrasia

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 23, 2015, 05:26:57 PM
Quote from: Dyscrasia on June 23, 2015, 04:57:38 PM
I hope that REBOR will become popular in South Korea someday.

Papo is very popular here (most likely due to the fact that one of the main sculptor is from our country, and Papo Korea seems to be very active in promoting Papo products), and in every major city here, there are more than one store that carries most of the Papo products.

Whenever I order a REBOR product, the shipping alone costs almost as much as the item I have purchased :(

Hi, please tell me this is a Korean website?

http://hobbyz.co.kr/shop/item.php?it_id=1426223066

Actually there are Korean webstores that carries the T. rex, but sadly, no other REBOR dinosaurs. Some stores attempted to sell "Jolly", but I heard that the customs office here won't allow it to be sold for whatever stupid reason they came up with. Therefore, I usually order REBOR products from the UK or the States.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: ARUL on June 23, 2015, 05:35:35 PM

Here's a funny story: guys were working on the King Triceratops and then project leader and sculpture artist finally got their "king seat" tickets of Jurassic World in the Waterloo IMAX so they went to see the film, then right after they came back from the cinema they were trying to convince us to make a Mosasaur first, and we've been working on this big guy since then.

Base on this story, don't set your expections too high for anything lol   :)) :)) :))

tanystropheus

Quote from: Simon on June 23, 2015, 05:30:54 PM
Quote from: Tyrannosauron on June 23, 2015, 06:51:47 AM
Regarding the Rebor T. rex: whether or not the head is accurate--in either the scientific or the cinematic sense--is an empirical question.

I don't think it would be feasible to do a 100% JP T-rex.  The folks that made Jurassic Park probably don't care all that much since Papo has been doing it for years.
It might not appeal to you. But, it appeals to me and a lot of other fans.  I don't consider myself awesomebro or accuracybro.

tanystropheus

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 23, 2015, 06:08:20 PM

Here's a funny story: guys were working on the King Triceratops and then project leader and sculpture artist finally got their "king seat" tickets of Jurassic World in the Waterloo IMAX so they went to see the film, then right after they came back from the cinema they were trying to convince us to make a Mosasaur first, and we've been working on this big guy since then.

Base on this story, don't set your expections too high for anything lol   :)) :)) :))

I'm looking forward to the Mosasaur (and the Psittacosaurus). It would be cool if the Mosasaur includes the caudal fluke, as well. The Mosasaur's appeal is undeniable. It is also the first and only Sideshow that I own.

Shadowknight1

I can't wait to see the Mosasaur, I have no doubt it'll look fantastic.  But I'm still super anxious to see Hercules fully revealed in color! ;D

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on June 23, 2015, 07:02:40 PM

I can't wait to see the Mosasaur, I have no doubt it'll look fantastic.  But I'm still super anxious to see Hercules fully revealed in color! ;D

Yes to Hercules. All the colors have been quite extraordinary so far.  The Raptors have a unique hue, and Cerato has some pleasant earthy tones.  The Utahraptor's wings express a blue tint (but it doesn't show in the pictures). There is an exceptional level of craftsmanship. Even the claws are individually colored!:

https://www.facebook.com/reborstudio/photos/pb.555146104612402.-2207520000.1435087030./639256252868053/?type=3&theater

Shonisaurus

I guess as discussed by the acroncathosaurus Rebor Rebor, it will definitely revealed very soon in late June.

Yutyrannus

Will the mosasaur be Jurassic World inspired (crocodiles scutes, teeth showing when the mouth is closed) or more like a realistic mosasaur (small, smooth scales, lizard-like "lips", and a tail fluke)? I would probably buy either one, to be honest. Also, is the base going to be coral is will it have some of the more obscure Mesozoic marine invertebrates (crinoids, rudistids, etc.)?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 23, 2015, 08:37:53 PM

Will the mosasaur be Jurassic World inspired (crocodiles scutes, teeth showing when the mouth is closed) or more like a realistic mosasaur (small, smooth scales, lizard-like "lips", and a tail fluke)? I would probably buy either one, to be honest. Also, is the base going to be coral is will it have some of the more obscure Mesozoic marine invertebrates (crinoids, rudistids, etc.)?
Great questions.  I think the base for the Mosasaur is going to be one off the more interesting things to keep an eye on.

amargasaurus cazaui

Pondering the terminology tossed about...accuracybro vs. awesomebro, and then when you combine some of both you must get...Rebor-bro?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Arul

Wow that is cool  :o hahaha no problem rebor im waiting for the mosasaur too in my taste its always amazing with rebor way. im really excited when the previous person who run rebor account in this forum give us a "code" that rebor gonna make a mosasaur, or on the rebor fb said 50cm of shark eater (i hope its the mosasaur but other marine reptile is still sounds great)  :D

Patrx

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 23, 2015, 10:48:03 PM
Pondering the terminology tossed about...accuracybro vs. awesomebro, and then when you combine some of both you must get...Rebor-bro?

Clearly, it's "REBRO", Mike  :D

Gwangi

For those interested in origin of the "awsomebro" term, it comes none other from excellent paleo-artist John Conway himself. Personally I find him a bit too critical of "Jurassic Park" but I agree with his overall plight. Either way, the term is meant to be an insult so I'm not sure that if I were an awsomebro myself that I would be too quick to embrace it.

QuoteMost of us have come across or participated in what I'm going to call "awesomebro" culture: "dinosaurs in space with fricken' lasers? AWESOMEBRO!". Awesomebro culture is huge, and makes up a huge proportion of the people that buy dinosaur-themed stuff. At the really stupid end of awesomebro you have the people that complain that feathered dinosaurs look "gay". You have less retarded grumbling as well. My problem is in how I, and many other people I agree with, have reflexively deflected these grumblings. We say something like "well, eagles look pretty awesome - watchya got to say to that, smart guy?"

The problem with this sort of defence is that it buys into the whole stupid assumption of dinosaurs belonging to awesomebro culture. What if dromaeosaurs really did look all fancy or goofy? What then? I say so what, animals often look fancy or goofy. The "awesomeness" isn't the most sophisticated way of viewing the natural world, and one that I personally have very little interest in.
- See more at: http://log.johnconway.co/post/46259087381/jurassic-park-4-awesomebro#sthash.KClQUszH.dpuf

Patrx

Thanks for tracking down that post, Gwangi! I meant to do that some time ago but evidently got distracted by something shiny. In any case, as to the origin and meaning of the term, I feel as though we've had that discussion before at some point. I have no specific feelings on the word itself, good or bad - but I do wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Conway's appraisal of our go-to defense being irrational. Why should there be any attempts by paleoartists to make dinosaurs look "cool"? It's a bit tiring and ignores the vast array of emotions and responses that real animals can elicit in humans. They can be cute, or silly, or pretty, or ugly, not just cool.

I digress, and I've said all that before anyway. REBOR don't seem to mind using the term "awesomebro", and there's nothing wrong with that from an artistic standpoint. But they're really selling themselves, and the dinosaurs, short if they box themselves in too much.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: